• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXMC- Next Caliber?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Long story short I ordered a 300 PRC barrel for my AXMC from mile high. Waited 8 months and found the same barrel in the PX here for less $$ and purchased it.

Changed order to 6.5 CM from mile high. Several months into the wait picked up same barrel here in the PX

So now I’m thinking if I should pursue a 300 NM? I have the bolts and mags to run any caliber available in the AXMC platform

Should I,

1) Go back to a 300 PRC barrel on my order

2) Keep the 6.5 coming as a “spare” when he first is shot out

3) Get 300 NM and pursue that eventually

4) Other

I actually prefer my 300 prc over 300 norma unless you are going past 1500 yards regularly...

I run 230 eldm at 2800 fps with less powder than a 300 Norma. Sure you can push a Norma faster but to hit 2800 in the Norma I needed almost 7% more powder than the 300 prc. I mainly shoot between 1k and 1500k and I'm happier with the prc there.

Only way I would do a Norma again is with a truck axle 30" or maybe 32" barrel with really long 250s.

To have both the 300 PRC and 300 Norma seems like over doing it. They are so close in performance it just seems like a waste of money.
    If you really want to mix it up a bit, get a 7mm caliber of some flavour? Or just keep trucking with what you got. The grass is not always greener.

Reactions: Snaz and hafejd30
    I'd vote for a second 65 because you'll probably shoot it out in less than a year...and it will probably take you a year to get another one lol.

I'm at 9 months on an AXMC/SR 308 barrel from EO and was about to hit up MH to get the jump start on a 65CM for it. EV just changed their shipping disclaimer for the Proof barrels, from 10 months to 4...but I highly doubt that is accurate. This barrel wait time stuff is straight insanity.

Reactions: hafejd30
    I actually prefer my 300 prc over 300 norma unless you are going past 1500 yards regularly...

I run 230 eldm at 2800 fps with less powder than a 300 Norma. Sure you can push a Norma faster but to hit 2800 in the Norma I needed almost 7% more powder than the 300 prc. I mainly shoot between 1k and 1500k and I'm happier with the prc there.

Only way I would do a Norma again is with a truck axle 30" or maybe 32" barrel with really long 250s.

Pretty sound advice.

Inside 1500. Mainly set up for long range hunting

as said above the PRC is more than enough inside 1500

flip side is you might want to look at components if you load and ammo in stock if you dont

there are places with 300 norma on the shelves and PRC ammo and brass is out of stock almost everywhere

also depends on what bullet you want to shoot

if you hunt with berger/match they are equals all things considered

if you use a partition or "hunting bullet" as you know they have a lower BC so you might want to pick up the speed a little with the norma

that said david had our 300 nm shooting MOA at a mile with factory ammo, norma is no joke

I'd go smaller, like 6BR. I really love my trainer barrel. I'm running a 224 v (not an AI) but it's so satisfying to shoot for so dang cheap.

I'd go smaller, like 6BR. I really love my trainer barrel. I'm running a 224 v (not an AI) but it's so satisfying to shoot for so dang cheap.
    i actually deleted my 6br suggestion because he said hunting and he has a 6.5

also not sure if it will feed in the larger action, it does in my AX but havnt bought a MC barrel yet

Reactions: Jackomason
    Just to clear this part up,

I do have the full 300 PRC setup. Only thing I’m waiting on is Lapua brass. Will plan to run 212 ELDX for hunting

I have a 6.5 barrel now. Which is the same barrel I’m waiting for from MH. I have all the components for reloading the 6.5 as well and plan to run a pile of 142 smk for that. Just targets for that barrel

I’m mostly wondering if I should just keep the second 6.5 barrel coming or change to something else. Likely the 6.5 would get burnt first so as suggested above I’ll just keep that barrel on order and have a spare ready to rock

I have an AT as well that I can play around with the smaller 6mm stuff eventually if I want. That guns mainly set up as a “crop damage” gun and killed its fair share of deer since owning it. 308 shooting 178 ELDX
    A09BF270-4755-4A73-9E72-311DE7DC55C4.jpeg

Just to clear this part up,

I do have the full 300 PRC setup. Only thing I’m waiting on is Lapua brass. Will plan to run 212 ELDX for hunting

I have a 6.5 barrel now. Which is the same barrel I’m waiting for from MH. I have all the components for reloading the 6.5 as well and plan to run a pile of 142 smk for that. Just targets for that barrel

I’m mostly wondering if I should just keep the second 6.5 barrel coming or change to something else. Likely the 6.5 would get burnt first so as suggested above I’ll just keep that barrel on order and have a spare ready to rock

I have an AT as well that I can play around with the smaller 6mm stuff eventually if I want. That guns mainly set up as a “crop damage” gun and killed its fair share of deer since owning it. 308 shooting 178 ELDX
    View attachment 7815345
    after i picked up my AXSA i stopped changing the MC to short action calibers

didnt see the need anymore

still have the bolts etc but if nothin else the AXSA barrels are a little cheaper

you have a AT so if you like the chassis better etc, i can see it but changing for sake of changing caliber, i stopped

after i picked up my AXSA i stopped changing the MC to short action calibers

didnt see the need anymore

still have the bolts etc but if nothin else the AXSA barrels are a little cheaper

you have a AT so if you like the chassis better etc, i can see it but changing for sake of changing caliber, i stopped
    I’m only running the 6.5 in the MC for more trigger time in that gun as I have lots of components for that. Set up a bit better for distance with the 7-35 ATACR vs the 4-16.

I like the AT setup the way it is with the 20” barrel and 4-16 ATACR. That gun will see way more use in that configuration than the MC will

Reactions: brianf