• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Axsa and axmc

motochamp250

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2009
West,TN
I need some guidance/opinions from users. The AI bug has bitten me pretty hard. Being honest with myself, the rifle will live as a 308/6.5 a majority of the time (mostly probably 308). How aggravating would it be to run an AXMC in a short action caliber most of the time? I like the idea of being able to go to larger magnums and such if I wanted/needed to. Also, the idea of buy once and have all the options SOUNDS good, but would I regret running an AXMC as basically a short action most of the time? Should I just buy an AXSA? Thanks guys.

What distances do you shoot or what do you want to do that requires a long action?

The MC (IIRC) requires an adapter for the magwell to use SA mags and the bolt particular to the case diameter of the SA cartridge. You can swap a barrel and bolt, add the mag adapter, then adjust your optic to the drop for the SA round and be GTG.

ETA - I have an MC and SAs. And while I run the MC primarily in 300PRC, I do have a setup for .260R for the MC.

ETA II - I think you can get LA MC mags that have an insert so you don't need the magwell adapter.

Last edited:
At the moment not much that REQUIRES a long action or magnum cartridges. Most distances shot currently are less than 600. But have farms that would allow shooting at any distance. But the idea of spending not much more money in the used market for an MC that covers anything I could want to do is appealing.

Basically, I guess I’m just asking if I would really dislike running the AXMC in the “short action” configuration so much so that I will wish I had gotten an AXSA instead. Or will it be no issue and I should just buy once and get an AXMC and have any and all options..

From what I have heard the AXSA and AT are being discontinued and replaced by the AT-X. That said the AXMC has been replaced by the AXSR.

If you don’t plan on shooting magnum calibers very often if at all, I’d grab an AXSA while you can. I have one and love it. If I want to run magnum calibers I’ll typically run them in my DT SRS.

You can pretty much get an AI AT and DT SRS for the price of an AXMC or the new AXSR. The AXSA is obviously a bit more than the AT.