• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXSR 308 magazine tuning - what are your feeding lip measurements?

CollarChoke

Neck Tension Enthusiast
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
My brand new AXSR 308 magazines were both consistently causing bolt jams into the breech face with factory Federal GMM 175SMK. Spent some time today tuning the magazines and they're both running well with the following feeding lip spacings:

- back: ~0.620"
- middle: ~0.650"
- front: ~0.690"

If you're an AI AXSR owner and have an AXSR 308 magazine that runs well for you, would appreciate if you could share your feeding lip spacing measurements as well. Trying to see if there's some sort of consistent ballpark pattern to be found for these.

Reactions: wade2big
For folks finding this thread in the future, I also had to bump down the rivets with a file to ensure the last round didn't get bumped off track when the case head hit the part of the rivet that was sticking out too much. Between resizing the feeding lips to the above specs and filing down the rivets, I can now run these magazines at speed.

axsr308.jpg

For $150 bucks a pop these things sure require a lot of manual TLC given that they're designed for a single specific rifle.

My .308 mag is a hot mess. The follower will almost eject itself past the feed lips. I bought one of the Mc mag adapters and I’m going to add the hole to my chassis to let that mount up so I can just run any of the well functioning aics mags that I have.

My .308 mag is a hot mess. The follower will almost eject itself past the feed lips. I bought one of the Mc mag adapters and I’m going to add the hole to my chassis to let that mount up so I can just run any of the well functioning aics mags that I have.
Ah after the aforementioned tuning mine have run alright. I just ran through a class with ~450 rounds over 4 days many of which were rapid fire PRS-style stages and only had 1 issue the entire class with the 308 mags (a double feed).

@POI_Shift you may be interested to learn that @pfl338 apparently makes mag adapters for AICS magazines to make them work with the AXSR. They let you run your existing mags (without drilling the chassis). They're essentially collars that you you tighten onto the mag. Waiting for him to put up some stock but I'm going to get a few of those when they're available, especially to be able to use any caliber-specific tunes I already have on AICS SA mags. His ebay shop is at: https://www.ebay.com/str/44echoproductsfirearmaccessories

I run a bunch of his other products and it's all very well fitted and GTG.

@POI_Shift you may be interested to learn that @pfl338 apparently makes mag adapters for AICS magazines to make them work with the AXSR. They let you run your existing mags (without drilling the chassis). They're essentially collars that you you tighten onto the mag. Waiting for him to put up some stock but I'm going to get a few of those when they're available, especially to be able to use any caliber-specific tunes I already have on AICS SA mags. His ebay shop is at: https://www.ebay.com/str/44echoproductsfirearmaccessories

I own the MC adapter and theoretically it should only be a single hole. I've got a 3d scan of the adapter and I will do the same for the chassis and run it in my cnc to punch a hole in it. Those adapters sound nifty too.

Reactions: CollarChoke

Changed up the design a bit, works great in the MC, solid lockup. I will have yours out in the mail Monday. Here is current version.
IMG_2593.jpg
IMG_2594.jpg
IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2597.jpg

For folks finding this thread in the future, I also had to bump down the rivets with a file to ensure the last round didn't get bumped off track when the case head hit the part of the rivet that was sticking out too much. Between resizing the feeding lips to the above specs and filing down the rivets, I can now run these magazines at speed.

View attachment 8350877

For $150 bucks a pop these things sure require a lot of manual TLC given that they're designed for a single specific rifle.
Fired thousands of rounds through mine and have never had an issue with feeding either 308 or 6.5 CM

Fired thousands of rounds through mine and have never had an issue with feeding either 308 or 6.5 CM

They're running fine now after the rivet bumps and feeding lip tuning. I ran through 500 rounds in 4 days and had only 1 self-induced double feed. So I believe it.

But will be nice to be able to run my pile of existing AICS mags as well, especially for calibers that are gonna require some more aggressive tuning to feed properly.

Mine were all bought from EuroOptic in 2024 ... how long they've been sitting there I don't know.
QC down across the board in all industries these last few years. I know I’ve seen QC issues with AW mags (AINA replaced two and tuned another two) and Terry mentioned it about AICS mags. Assuming quality nosedived in by 2021, I don’t see why that couldn’t extend to AXSR or any other magazine product.

My 308 mag does the same with 6.5 rounds. I thought about 3d printing a ramped piece for the open spot in front of the mag, to help guide the nose of the bullet into the chamber.

of the 8 MDT AICS 308 mags i bought, 6 needed the feed lips adjusted to keep the bolt face in contact all the way through.

that was for a ruger american predator. we’ll see how they do in the sig cross i just bought.

Last edited:
of the 8 MDT AICS 308 mags i bought, 6 needed the feed lips adjusted to keep the bolt face in contact all the way through.

that was for a ruger american predator. we’ll see how they do in the sig cross i just bought.
We’re talking about the AI AXSR magazines. Completely different.

Reactions: tucaz