• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXSR and short action cartridges

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    Thinking about getting a 6mm barrel spun up for my AXSR. Before I drop the coin, thought I would ask what has been your experience shooting short action calibers out of the AXSR? Any issues? I'm quite comfortable with the bolt throw and feel of the AI, feels weird when I go back to a rem 700 action. Am I going to hate running a short action cartridge with a long action bolt? I know it's subjective, but looking for others thoughts on it.

I shoot my 6 dasher / 308 with the Origin SA/ R700. I used to shoot 308 with my AI but I later I prefer the SA coz it is lighter. I only shoot my 338LM, 338NM, 33XC with the AI. Just an excuses for me have more toys

Not sure if the difference matters, but I shoot 6.5 CM out of an AXMC with no issue (after some mag tweaks), and I know others who shoot 6 CM out of AXMCs with no issue.

AXSR' manage short action rounds well in my experience. Mine spends a lot of time as a 308 & 6.5CM with Proof prefit carbon barrels... They are accurate, the mags feed well with very rarely have any hiccups.

To have a dedicated 308, that's a bit lighter, more compact and always ready, I built a short action 'AXSR' in an AICS chassis with Curtis Valor. Both are good, but only one can handle magnum calibers... So, if you can have or only want one... The AXSR is a clear winner.

I considered a SA caliber conversion for my AXSR, once totaling up the barrel, bolt, firing pin and mag I realized that's more than half what a new ATX cost. What's another couple grand when you're talking AI's.

• Haha
    Reactions: 47chevycoe
    I considered a SA caliber conversion for my AXSR, once totaling up the barrel, bolt, firing pin and mag I realized that's more than half what a new ATX cost. What's another couple grand when you're talking AI's.
    The only saving grace there is you can share a firing pin assembly, and don't need a magazine adapter kit in the AXSR :ROFLMAO:

AXSR and utilizing the new AXSR 308 mags have been awesome for factory match 6.5CM. Hundreds of pills down the pipe with no feeding issues.