• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Axsr calibers

taliv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
TN
If you had an axsr with 300nm and 6.5cm, is there any caliber in between that make you want a 300wm bolt?

I mean short action calibers are covered and the large magnums are covered. I there anything win mag sized that’s cool enough to be worth it?

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, "need" it? No.
Do I have all 3 bolts and barrels for 308/300PRC/338LM? Yes.

Why? Because:
1) I don't "need" it, but I "want" it.
2) It completes my AXSR collection.
3) It fills up my AXSR case nicely and looks awesome.

Short answer: You definitely don't need it, but the real question is, do you want it?

Reactions: taliv
Do you, or anyone else for that matter, "need" it? No.
Do I have all 3 bolts and barrels for 308/300PRC/338LM? Yes.

Why? Because:
1) I don't "need" it, but I "want" it.
2) It completes my AXSR collection.
3) It fills up my AXSR case nicely and looks awesome.
I don’t own a 338 barrel for my MRAD, but you make a compelling argument..

I would say not worth it. I just run a std and lapua bolt face in my AXSR. If you are reloading the cost of the 300NM isn't that much different then a PRC. Recoil will be slightly less with a 7prc, but you can load the 300NM to match the 300prc if you want. So i couldn't imagine a need for spending money on a 300prc if you are already shooting a 300NM in the same platform.

Depending on how much you shoot, it may or may not be worth it to you.

Loading 300nm and 300prc will be about a 15cent difference per shot. Then there's barrel life. Everyone will have their own opinion on this, but generally, 300nm is around 1200 (sometimes less) and 300prc is about 1500. AXSR barrels are $900 or so. So, that's another 15cents per round difference.

You'll be looking at an extra $0.30 per trigger pull shooting norma on average. That's a savings of $300 per 1000 trigger pulls. Obviously this isn't a perfect calculation and I'm sure others will come up with something different. But it's fairly safe to say that 300prc is about $100-$300 cheaper per 1,000rnds.

To some that's worth it, and others its not. You also have to factor in the cost of a new bolt if you don't already have the magnum bolt and if you don't shoot a ton.....there goes all your savings or you may even be negative dollars spinning up for 300prc.

If you had an axsr with 300nm and 6.5cm, is there any caliber in between that make you want a 300wm bolt?

I mean short action calibers are covered and the large magnums are covered. I there anything win mag sized that’s cool enough to be worth it?
I have an AXSR in 300NM and 6.5CM. I like shooting a lot of different calibers so I bought a WM bolt. And for that bolt I'm collecting the pieces to shoot 7 PRC. It's not necessary but I'm doing it for fun.

OP I'm set up like you with my AXSR. I only have 1200 yards available to me. Most of the time I'm shooting with the 6.5CM. If I'm being honest I really don't have a strong need for my 300NM besides it's fun.

I've contemplated 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. But I can't find a purpose for me for my AXSR. I've thought about getting the 300 PRC because it's cheaper to shoot then my 300NM. But it would take me a long time to see the cost savings after buying a new bolt, barrel, brass and reloading dies. If I want cheeper shooting I just use my 6.5CM.

If I had unlimited time and money sure I would get a 6.5 & 300 PRC. Until then I'll be watching this thread!

Thanks for the replies, all.

I don’t really “want” it right now. Small and large suit me fine and I don’t really desire a medium.

It’s mostly a FOMO thing where lefty bolts are in stock and God knows if they ever will be again. So I don’t want to be 3-4 years down the road and not able to shoot whatever wonder medium cartridge because I didn’t buy a bolt today. But I don’t want to pay $750 for it when I can’t even name one cartridge I’d want to shoot with that diameter.

Over the years I’ve consolidated a lot and now my bolt guns are just 6dasher, 6.5x47 and 300nm. Only reason to add 6.5cm is that it’s too hard to find a decent smith who will chamber an axsr barrel in x47

And my interest in Norma mag is not so much ELR as being able to hit something at say 500-1000 really friggin hard. So 300prc is a good answer but prob not enough to justify buying the bolt today.

Only reason to add 6.5cm is that it’s too hard to find a decent smith who will chamber an axsr barrel in x47
That can’t be true? PVA, Bugholes, anyone who does AI large tenon should have a 6.5x47 reamer. I suppose you qualified with decent so perhaps not your preferred shops.