• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AZ Precision is GTG!!!!!

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Got my two bolts back from Keith @ AZ Precision today. Look great! I will take pics of them in my rifle when I get my barreled actions back from being threaded. I went with the varminter knob.

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

Re: AZ Precision is GTG!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know exactly how he attaches these things? </div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know exactly how he attaches these things? </div></div>

Yes </div></div>

Can you elaborate more on that "Yes"? Is there something we should know? To a mortal like myself, it looks good and quick turn around. I just want to know more before sending mine in. Thank you for the response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know exactly how he attaches these things? </div></div>

Yes </div></div>

Can you elaborate more on that "Yes"? Is there something we should know? To a mortal like myself, it looks good and quick turn around. I just want to know more before sending mine in. Thank you for the response. </div></div>

Magic.
    wink.gif

-X

I got my bolt back last week but was out of town. Damn it looks very very nice. Thanks Keith you do good work and my buddy will be calling you this week for you to do two of his Remmys. Thanks a lot and will get you as much work as I can.

An alloy 10-32 stud attaches them. They are very strong.

Thank you very much everyone. I feel some credit should be shifted to HateCA(Randy at R&D precision), because he helped me out BIG TIME when I was getting started.
    And of course, LowLight for allowing me to have my bolt knob pics thread and to offer my products on here.

Again, thank you so very much to all my customers, to the people that have helped me, and to the owner of the best shooting forum online!

Keith Johns
    AZ Precision Gunsmithing

Oh PS, I am set up to Cerakote and will have pics up tonight of a barreled action done in OD Green, as well as a black bolt with a Phoenix knob.
    Cerakote is very challenging and I'm already pretty maxed out as it is. I will accept work for Cerakote, but turn around times will be longer if your having it done, and not many requests will be accepted.
    Call if you have ANY questions.

You are welcome Keith.
    smile.gif

So do you cut off the original handle/knob and weld a threaded stud on the bolt, then thread the bolt knob on? Or do you grind down the existing knob, thread it, and then thread on the knob?

A few people have asked me how it got put on there... and I didn't know. hehe I know of a few ways it can be done, but I would like to know how you do it simply for the sake of knowing.
    smile.gif

The ball gets cut off. The shaft gets center bored and tapped and a 10x32 stud is installed, the bolt knob threads onto the stud.

Would the black bolt with Phoenix knob by chance be mine?
    laugh.gif

-X

As to the cerakote issue have you thought of doing batches of the popular knobs in black in advance to keep a supply of them coated and ready to install and ship back out.

I can't say for others but to me I wouldn't mind just having the knob cerakoted and stay with the original coating on the rest of my bolt. I'd choose that option with a possible slight color mismatch over having a less durable coating like durabake. Especially since if one is not having the whole barreled action done the shades of coating are probably going to be off a bit anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ball gets cut off. The shaft gets center bored and tapped and a 10x32 stud is installed, the bolt knob threads onto the stud. </div></div>

Clever. Hopefully I never snap it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ball gets cut off. The shaft gets center bored and tapped and a 10x32 stud is installed, the bolt knob threads onto the stud. </div></div>

Clever. Hopefully I never snap it off. </div></div>

I know with mine if you do I fix it for free. I'm pretty sure Keith is the same way. I have had only two of mine fail and that was because the shooter was using a 2x4 to open his bolt after shooting over pressure loads.

Thanks Keith. It was more of a joke than anything... but its nice to know that I can get it fixed in the event I drop my rifle off a cliff and it lands on the bolt handle. hahaha