• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

B-17F Memphis Belle Moved to WWII Gallery

The Memphis Belle was kept on Mud Island in downtown Memphis when I was a kid. It was my favorite part to visit when my dad took me there. I didn’t understand the historical meaning of the plane as a kid, but it was the coolest thing that I had ever seen.

I loved seeing it when I was a kid. My grandfather was Bombardier on a B17. They had to limp to switzerland after being hit on a bombing run. They crashed in a lake and he spent several months intered there until escaping and eventually getting back to England

I loved seeing it when I was a kid. My grandfather was Bombardier on a B17. They had to limp to switzerland after being hit on a bombing run. They crashed in a lake and he spent several months intered there until escaping and eventually getting back to England

Your grandfather was lucky he wasn't turned over to the Germans immediately by the Swiss. Bet he had some really cool stories to tell.

At least some still appreciate history....

Great link, Sarge! Thanks for posting!

Did any of you guys see that the Juneau was found? That was the ship that the Sullivans perished on... the five brothers, serving together. After their deaths, the USG changed policy about brothers serving together. Splitting the up to reduce chance of losing a whole family at once.

Saving Private Ryan was loosely based on the Sullivans tragedy.

Someone needs to built a monument to Paul Allen. A software billionaire... who isn't a leftist ass-pirate... but who is a great American funding the recovery of our history.

Cheers and thanks again, Sarge!

Sirhr

My ol' man was a gunner on B24 Liberators. He would watch 12 O'clock High every week. He never said a word. He would just sit there and watch it. Worse beating I ever got as a kid was one time I thought he would appreciate a, "Heil Hitler" with the Nazi salute. I totally get the moron that got busted on YouTube for teaching his dog to do basically the same thing. Some things you don't forget. The B17 was the better bomber according to my mom. She told me the 24 was harder to turn around or get out of in flight.

Culpepper:

My Dad was a ball turret gunner in a Liberator with the 15th based in Italy. Never talked about it but when I was a kid we went to see Sound of Music and remember him mentioning after the movie that they bombed the city in the movie. He flew in a bombing mission on the oil fields in Ploiesti. Didn't find out until after he died and later found out that his group caught hell on the mission with lots of air crews lost. BTW shot the 600 yard mid range match in Roswell last weekend.

Pleosti took their fair share of liberators. Tough target. Glad you got down to our range. We are going to spend a lot of money on the pit area. Bringing it up to date.

At least some still appreciate history....

Great link, Sarge! Thanks for posting!

Did any of you guys see that the Juneau was found? That was the ship that the Sullivans perished on... the five brothers, serving together. After their deaths, the USG changed policy about brothers serving together. Splitting the up to reduce chance of losing a whole family at once.

Saving Private Ryan was loosely based on the Sullivans tragedy.

Someone needs to built a monument to Paul Allen. A software billionaire... who isn't a leftist ass-pirate... but who is a great American funding the recovery of our history.

Cheers and thanks again, Sarge!

Sirhr
He just found the Lexington...

I live about 10 miles from the museum and spend a lot of time there. They turned the Belle really quick and she looks breathtakingly new! The Belle is replacing Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby who is being loaned or given to another museum.

171_7193%20copy-L.jpg

One of my favorite pics:

172_7241%20copy-L.jpg

A little trivia for you:
An F-16C can carry the same payload as the B-17.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Badfinger, post: 6967406, member: 89192"

A little trivia for you:
An F-16C can carry the same payload as the B-17.[/QUOTE]

But the F-16 will never be as cool or iconic/legendary as the B-17.

[QUOTE="Badfinger, post: 6967406, member: 89192"

A little trivia for you:
An F-16C can carry the same payload as the B-17.

But the F-16 will never be as cool or iconic/legendary as the B-17.[/QUOTE]

And its amazing that a B52 hauls nearly a squadrons bomb load IIRC.

Reactions: Badfinger
When I was a kid Wright-Patterson was a S.A.C. base and I would see these guys coming and going with their wings almost dragging on the ground.

172_7239%20copy-L.jpg