• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing B&C A5, Badger M5, Timney - drop in fit?

kindred_spirits

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
Jamison, PA
Hey guys, I recently ordered a Bell and Carlson A5 Medalist, Badger M5 DBM, and a Timney trigger for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

Will I run into any problems with these items? Will the DBM and stock work with the Timney? Is it a drop in fit, or will I have to modify the stock?

I'll obviously be having the stock inletted for the M5, but is there any other issues I should be aware of? How easy is the installation of the barreled action?

Thanks in advance.

Re: B&C A5, Badger M5, Timney - drop in fit?

The stock may require a small amount of fitting but nothing some 80girt sandpaper can't fix in a hurry.

You'll also have to make a small relief cut on the right side of the trigger opening on the M5 so the larger safety that's on the Timney trigger can move properly. Otherwise when you go to throw the safety lever, it will get really tight or not move.

Thanks guys.

Are there any threads describing modifying the M5 for the Timney?

And the action should just drop in the the stock, right? No drilling or installing pillars?

I had that very same combo! I did not have to do anything to make the Timney work, it just did.

Have a good smith inlet your stock for the badger M5, he will need a mill to do it. And have him Skim bed your action in the stock while you are at it so squeez every bit of acciracy out of it.

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02106.jpg

This is what I meant by the relief cut for the Timney 510 trigger that used to be on the rifle. It's not a lot and can probably be done pretty easily with a Dremel tool, this was done on a mill though since it was available.

IMG_2817.jpg

Thanks for the info guys!

I'll probably be taking it to a smith now, I don't think I can handle it myself.

First I changed from the B&C stock to AICS, then I traded the whole rifle. I went the custom route. The only thing I didnt like about the B&C was the weight. But it was one rock solid platform! Just be sure to skim bed your action into the stock because the aluminum bedding block is anything but a precision fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I meant by the relief cut for the Timney 510 trigger that used to be on the rifle. It's not a lot and can probably be done pretty easily with a Dremel tool, this was done on a mill though since it was available.

IMG_2817.jpg

</div></div>
I wish I had access to a mill
frown.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

I decided to go with an AICS... The B&C arrived broken by UPS.