• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

B&C stock questions for Howa

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
I just ordered on of the Howa 6cm barrelled actions from brownelles and I'm looking for a lightweight stock or chassis for a cheaper hunting set up.

I like the idea of a B&C with the aluminum block, but it looks like they don't make a stock for a howa that will take a DBM. Is that right? Or can I throw any DBM on it? I've read you don't want to inlet them because of the "foam" on the inside of the stocks.

Im also wanting to avoid huge barrel channels looking goofy with that thin barrel. Does anyone have any pics or info on the howa standard barrels vs stocks/chassis that are designed for heavy barrels? I see B&C makes a couple stocks for standard barrel contours too, so anyone with pics of those would be awesome too.

I'm also open to other ideas for stocks or chassis, but I'd like to keep them below $500 or so all in and lightweight, as well as the two issues mentioned earlier.

Oryx maybe? Does anyone have any pics of an Oryx with a skinny barrel? I've got a bravo on a heavy barreled howa that would like a pencil on a 2x4 with a skinny barrel.

I know a bunch of you ordered that barreled action too. What ya thinking for your builds?

Most Howa detachable magazine bottom metals replace the factory parts. There are a few that make them, PTG, Atlasworxs, Wyatts. Though I have used the PTG DBM and had to some slight fitting which was not a big deal.

As for the stock, Howa's heavy profile is 0.820 in diameter and there sporter is 0.570 in diameter, so this will leave you around an 1/8th inch of clearance around the barrel. So it may not look bad at all.

I have a Howa Mini Action in an Oryx chassis and I like it, but it is very minimalist for a chassis, and it weighs in around 4lb.

Do those mag kits use AICS mags? Looks like the Wyatt's does, but their website is pretty lacking in detail.

Yes, they all use standard AICS mags.

Well shit. One problem solved.

I'll have to figure out exactly what the barrel will look like in the various b&c barrel channels.

I'm digging the weights and prices.

It's a hunting rifle. Forget the DBM, more trouble and hassle than it's worth.

I used the PTG bottom metal with AICS mags and a B&C M40 stock on a Howa I used to have. I had to do a tiny amount (like a minute) of sanding to get it to fit perfectly. I too ordered one of the 6mm actions from Brownells and will be putting in the same stock I used on my old Howa. The stock has the larger barrel channel so when my action arrives I'll post a picture so you can get an idea of the fit.

I used the PTG bottom metal with AICS mags and a B&C M40 stock on a Howa I used to have. I had to do a tiny amount (like a minute) of sanding to get it to fit perfectly. I too ordered one of the 6mm actions from Brownells and will be putting in the same stock I used on my old Howa. The stock has the larger barrel channel so when my action arrives I'll post a picture so you can get an idea of the fit.

Please do. Mine will be sitting in the box for a bit before I order a stock anyway. Hunting season is starting so my gun habit has to take a back seat for a few months.

It's a hunting rifle. Forget the DBM, more trouble and hassle than it's worth.

I had a Weatherby Vangaurd in a B&C Medalist stock. Basically the same barreled action that you're getting. It fit great. I got it from Stocky's Stocks. I agree with not bothering with the DBM at this point. That barrel is going to heat up quickly, so a little extra time taken to stuff the shells into the internal magazine will be a few more seconds of barrel cooling time, haha. I regret that I don't have mine anymore.

Also, a note about the B&C Medalist. It had a small pressure pad at the end of the forearm. The factory Weatherby stock had been free floated by the previous owner (apparently using an angry beaver based on the quality of the work). The gun did not shoot well. I dropped it into the B&C stock and it turned into a sub 1/2MOA gun with most loads. I purposely let the pressure pad in place (which is designed to contact the barrel) to see how it shot. I'm glad I left it in place instead of sanding it out.

Good luck
Ross

Reactions: 308pirate