• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision B.E. Meyers KIJI IR Laser

I’ve got 2 in bound and will advise. I’m looking forward to comparing it to FP and C1 units. It looks to me like it will fill a gap in laser based IR illumination capability at a VERY attractive price. If we can get comparable IR illumination performance in a fully supported C1 illuminator, it may make the need for the grey market much less than before.

The Kiji would have been really bad ass if it had X & Y axis adjustability.

That's what I was looking for. This just seems like its a new Vampire light with a laser. I haven't seen one obviously, but from what I can see it gives me more questions than answers.

- They show it helmet mounted so I'm assuming it isn't OMGWTF bright (I'm not going to go off of their Mw because if they're using the same phased witchcraft that they use with the MAWL, its not an apples to apples thing).

- It has a laser yet can you not adjust the axis on the laser or illuminator? If not, then I'm super confused as to why you'd want to mount this to anything except a helmet. You can't sight it in like a PEQ for carbine use, and you can't adjust the illum up for it to be useful for NV precision shooting other than having it spotlight something; and even then if you cant adjust where it points, it may not be pointing where you're looking. This also negates the main ability of a precision gun using a IR flood to see trace (theres a trick to this and you need something that can be adjusted).

Other than it being helmet mounted (WTF do you want a laser for that for?) or a static non adjustable laser on a precision gun or spotter to designate a target....what is its purpose? I mean, you can designate targets with...your helmet?

it doesn't come close to the functionality of a PEQ on a carbine or precision gun, yet is completely negated if you have a PEQ.

I'm actually surprised this didn't come from Wilcox.

Last edited:
A simple solution is an adjustable pic rail mount. I think the 3 degree unit for long range use is reasonable, so, I’ve ordered one to try out. Coupled with say an OTAL on a carbine I can see the 40 degree unit
working, but I’ve got no use for it on a helmet.

I’ve got a high power dbal-a2, 250mw on the illum, which is all well and good, but the beam is full of artifacts that the VCSEL eliminates.

I’ve got a high power dbal-a2, 250mw on the illum, which is all well and good, but the beam is full of artifacts that the VCSEL eliminates.
I did not know that Dbal A2's were ever made with 250 mW illuminators. All I have ever seen them spec'd at was 50 mW on the illuminator.

Now the Dbal A3 can be had in up to 200 mW illuminators.

The 3 Degree version looks plenty strong. Just wish it had X & Y and beam width adjustability.

B E Meyers KIJI K1 test​

I'm buying one and comparing it to my 200 mw DBAL-A3 adjustable illuminator.
I doubt it will outdo the Dbal A3. That 200 mW version is a beast. :)

Putting a Diffuser on the Illuminator and Neutral Density Filter (NDF) on the IR Pointer makes it also excellent for close in work when set to DH.

Last edited:
If it had a focus function it would be restricted. Not sure if they would have the same problem if it has X&Y, but that's easily fixed by the mount. I think the 3 degree beam coupled with the 10 degree lens should work out fine, I guess I'll find out when it arrives.

If it had a focus function it would be restricted. Not sure if they would have the same problem if it has X&Y, but that's easily fixed by the mount. I think the 3 degree beam coupled with the 10 degree lens should work out fine, I guess I'll find out when it arrives.
Stop calling them laser pointers and call them target designators and they won’t be restricted anymore. Full power for everyone!!!

Not even gonna mention how retarded the regulation is in the first place.

I played with both versions last weekend. Beam is very clean like the MAWL C1+ which is great for a clip on. However I agree with evenryone else that no alignment adjustability makes it use in that capacity limited. Hopefully there will be scout mounts with adjustability in the future, but for now it is at least as useful as a DBAL D2 which you also cannot adjust.

One thing strange is the 3deg version had a wider beam then a MAWL X1, which is an old refurb C1+ which was suppose to have a 4deg beam. The latest C1+ was upgraded to a 2deg beam, so the Kiji would be wider then both.

I have a 3 degree version on the way, I’m thinking about putting in on a longer range gun. I’ll compare it to a Mawl, Raid, and 200mw Dbal A3 UHP when it gets here. I’ll try to get some pictures. I have the A3 UHP on that rig right now, and while super bright, I’m used to and much prefer the clean illuminators on the Raid and Mawl.

Unfortunately the DBAL-A3 UHP utilizes much older technology than the Raid and MAWL. Steiner should be leaking info about the A5 soon.
Yep, but at least they were smart enough to put an instant Overide to Vis Point on the device. NODS get washed out with bright white light from OPFOR and the instant Overide Vis Point slaved to a strong weapon light via correct switchology becomes crucial in certain situations.

Do you have any tidbits you can share regarding the A5.

A4A97863-9170-45ED-A21F-04105E7D6303.jpeg
0A9AB91D-0B14-4FD4-B272-60C6BD97D012.jpeg
AF4C6810-2735-40E1-850F-89DF7FFEEBE7.jpeg

5BF47517-96DD-4B5B-9B4F-5C2C940DC879.jpeg

39F31816-00B5-4FE9-909E-C69FFA48EB01.jpeg

Much smaller and lighter than I thought. 10-degree Kiji is great for indoors and inside 200 yards outdoors providing a very soft, wide flood of even light.

Looks like it will accept a standard SF rail mount and press switch. Gonna try it with a Hot Button.

Last edited:
View attachment 7746783View attachment 7746784View attachment 7746779
View attachment 7746780
View attachment 7746781

Much smaller and lighter than I thought. 10-degree Kiji is great for indoors and inside 200 yards outdoors providing a very soft, wide flood of even light.

Looks like it will accept a standard SF rail mount and press switch. Gonna try it with a Hot Button.
See if the Kiji will run with rechargeable RCR 123's. The Luna ELIR's run great with them, and its always nice to know you are starting the night out with a fully charged battery.

20211123_184712.jpg

So far I'm digging it. Have a 250mW Malkoff head and this thing spanks it handily.

Just outside the house I'm able to punch past some street light and light up a fence line in shadow approximately 175yds out.

I'm sure in a wilderness setting at night would do even better. The toggle setting is cool. Triple tap and hold to switch between two chosen power levels.

Going indoors? Flip the diffuser closed and go to low power so you don't torch yourself in a mirror or light the whole hallway and let anybody inside with nods know you're coming.

Stepping outside? Flip diffuser to the side, triple tap and hold to high power. Pair this up with another LAM and you're what? 1 degree wider than a MAWL for half or less the money? Works with surefire 3v bodies and switches so it's working fine with my TAPs switch running my Dbal and the Kiji.

Dunno if I'd helmet mount it. I think a vampire head is hard to beat there because you can umbrella light with a rotating mount but if somebody's hurt, even in training, you can rotate the bezel to white light for helmet mounted white light.

Gonna try and get it to the range to point it at some berms and see how far target ID is feasible since I'm limited here at the house.

Has anyone figured out a good quality adjustable mount for the KIJI? Looks like a good product, but the lack of adjustment makes this a non-starter for me until they release a new version.

The only downside to the one I posted is it's a bit bulky, otherwise it's working well.

The question is do you even need an adjustment? If it's a 40 deg unit on a rifle, I suspect that just like a scout light you really don't need to move it beyond the base alignment tolerance. With a 3 deg unit on a spotter or for long range use, you'll need the base and the bulk should not be an issue.

The only downside to the one I posted is it's a bit bulky, otherwise it's working well.

The question is do you even need an adjustment? If it's a 40 deg unit on a rifle, I suspect that just like a scout light you really don't need to move it beyond the base alignment tolerance. With a 3 deg unit on a spotter or for long range use, you'll need the base and the bulk should not be an issue.
True. I would be using the 3 deg for long range work on various long guns. If mounted to the hand guard, then the lack of adjustment presents serious shortcomings. However, if mounted in parallel to the optic i.e. on a scope ring accessory rail, then the need for adjustment should be negated, as the laser would be on the same plane as the reticle, or am I missing something?

Have you tried the 3deg yet? It’s not nearly as tight a beam as many make it out to be. Much wider than a DBAL-D2 cranked down tight. Your rail would have to be way off to not be pretty close to centered up.
Seems like a no brainer. 3 degrees is 180 MOA, so it would be shocking if it actually needed adjustment.

Reactions: TheHorta
Seems like a no brainer. 3 degrees is 180 MOA, so it would be shocking if it actually needed adjustment.

Seems simple, but if you're spotting through a dedicated spotting optic or on another gun and trying to illum for a shooter or spot trace, you need adjustments. It's the same reason PEQs, DBALs, etc have adjustable illuminators. I get your point about 180MOA being enough to cover whatever I'm observing, but that may not always be the primary focus.

It could be a lightsabre, but if it doesn't point where I want it, it's useless. For the meantime, I'll stick with the LA-5.

Last edited:
180 seems like a large area and it is but if it’s really parallel, you have 90 MOA of vertical drop if you’re perfectly centered. If the beam is canted one way or another, this 90 MOA quickly shrinks (I haven’t done geometry in a while lolz). To shoot 800 yds with a 308, you need about 25 MOA of elevation (gross, I only speak MIL) to track your target.

Will it probably cover most people for that they need? For sure. Will be be annoying for those that it doesn’t? Absolutely. You get to choose where you fall. Id rather have a LUNA for half the price and be able to adjust my beam location and intensity. But I’d really like that in a rugged housing that uses dark magic to pump out power like this one:)

The mount shown solves the aiming problem perfectly well, locking screws and all. I get the beam perfectly centered at 100 yards at 30x. Would adjustment screws in the head be better? Maybe, but I much prefer this setup to the Luna, and I’ve upgraded that to a LaRue base and thumbscrews for adjustment.

Just saying, this particular product is definitely not a lightsaber, and 800yd is not going to happen. Probably helpful out to 3-400ish, but that’s pushing it. The Luna stretches much much further.

How is the Luna that is like 90mw 'stronger' than the Kiji at 150 or 350mw?

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: plong
Simple, the Luna has a focusable bezel which allows the POWAH to be focused from 0.01 Degrees to approximately 6 Degrees.

Kiji has a non focusable bezel that spreads it POWAH too wide.

Luna at exactly 1,000 Yards to treeline. Measured distance.
1644285804141.png

The 90 mW or even 70 mW versions of the Luna ELIR will smoke a Kiji. The Luna has an adjustable bezel and Rheostat. This allows you to set it for CQC or long range. What ever your preference, it will do and do well. Here is a Luna slaved to a civi Dbal A3. The Surefire Whitelight is also slave to the Override Port on the A3. Press one button you got IR Illuminate & IR Point. Press another button and you got White Light and Green Vis Point.

1644286208335.jpeg

Last edited:
The 90 mW or even 70 mW versions of the Luna ELIR will smoke a Kiji. The Luna has an adjustable bezel and Rheostat. This allows you to set it for CQC or long range. What ever your preference, it will do and do well. Here is a Luna slaved to a civi Dbal A3. The Surefire Whitelight is also slave to the Override Port on the A3. Press one button you got IR Illuminate & IR Point. Press another button and you got White Light and Green Vis Point.

View attachment 7803200

Nice setup…

Question:

I tried the thread a Surefire DS00 Tailcap, like yours onto my Luna Surefire adapter and it wouldn’t thread on? However, it did thread on fine with the Surefire UE model Tailcap (with the Remote female connector)? Do you know if you had a similar problem or was there a trick to it I missed? I was thinking it might have required the XM (Millennium series) Tailcap or if yours was that maybe?

I sort of just gave up and settled for the UE Tailcap. But I have wondered about why that was until I saw your photo? Just curious?

Thanks

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Nice setup…

Question:

I tried the thread a Surefire DS00 Tailcap, like yours onto my Luna Surefire adapter and it wouldn’t thread on? However, it did thread on fine with the Surefire UE model Tailcap (with the Remote female connector)? Do you know if you had a similar problem or was there a trick to it I missed? I was thinking it might have required the XM (Millennium series) Tailcap or if yours was that maybe?

I sort of just gave up and settled for the UE Tailcap. But I have wondered about why that was until I saw your photo? Just curious?

Thanks
Probably just a bit slightly tight. Put some oil on the threads and run it back and forth kind of like you were using a tap to cut new treads in a piece of aluminum. In an out a little at a time. I have seen the fit be a little tight on the tolerances between the adapter and the DS00.

View attachment 7803200

The angle makes sense. I had a suspicion that was part of it when I saw a youtube video of the differences between the 3 and 10 degree beams. When the guy switched it to 10 it was like a god awful flashlight where it could open up 50 yards to each side yet you couldn't see that far infront of you.

For closer distances and carbines I just use the full power PEQs. I was looking for a better solution at night with longer range weapons and the spotting scope as well as my Moskito.

Basically needed more power (POWAH!) like when we used a LA5 (which Im also trying to get ahold of right now) to light up targets further and help with PID. Options right now are to find a LA5, try a Luna or try the Kiji. I don't need a laser as we have PEQs that can cover that, but for the spotter, it would obviously be easier if it was the same unit that was able to illuminate as well as designate targets with a laser.

The smaller footprint could be helpful with getting it velcro'd onto a Moskito.

I'd also be curious how well we could enhance it with the Monoloc'd PVS14 on a Spotter 60 using a Samsung 10 in the Monloc cradle.

I also heard from someone today that you're the guy on how to get these to have better adjustments as well as mod them to work with Surefire tails. Can you help me with that and I can grab a Luna and we can see what we could do with it?

Reactions: SkyScrapin
The mount shown solves the aiming problem perfectly well, locking screws and all. I get the beam perfectly centered at 100 yards at 30x. Would adjustment screws in the head be better? Maybe, but I much prefer this setup to the Luna, and I’ve upgraded that to a LaRue base and thumbscrews for adjustment.

And then I see things like this.

What makes you like the KIJI better?

The Kiji is likely more durable than a Luna because the Kiji is an aluminum tube vs plastic for the Luna. But the Luna's hold up well.

The Kiji is twice the price also. If them dang Russians would make the Luna in an aluminum tube format like they originally did when they first came out, they would really have a bad ass unit.