• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes B&L 10 x 40.

WVshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
NC
Was talking with the owner of my local gun store today about optics and a scope for my newly purchased 700 5r and he mentioned having an old scope hanging around from one of his old rifles that he sold.

The scope was a Bausch and Lomb model 62-1040 10x40 with mil dot reticle and large tactical style knobs. It was overall in pretty good condition with a couple small nicks in the finish around the objective bell and some light witness marks from the rings. It also had flip up caps.

I looked through it outside and it seemed to be a really clear and nice scope.
The turrets seemed firm and the detents were solid though not really very audible like my SS6x42. It looks very much like the SS 10x42 HD I was looking at but for much less money.

My question is are these good scopes for someone getting started shooting LR and what are they worth?

Re: B&L 10 x 40.

YES. The Bausch and Lomb 10x was my very first scope. Very repeatable with 144 MOA of adjustment. They are very rugged and have good clear glass. I found the reticle to be alittle to thick for my liking so I sold mine when I could afford something bigger. In my opinion, when it was made alongside the Leupold 10x mark 4 for the Navy Seals, it was the superior scope of the two. It's a shame that they don't make them anymore.

Thanks for the input. I don't have much experience looking through scopes but to me it does look like a very bright and detailed image for the money. Any idea what one in the shape I described would be worth in ballpark figures?

Ok so I worked on my Googling and after reading up on this scope last night and today I decided to pull the trigger on it for $300.00. Seemed like a good price after what I read about it and seeing a few older WTS threads scattered around the internet with people selling them for 600 or so.
Turrets seem firm and positive, parallax seems to work well and the thing has really clear bright glass. I've been scoping out my neighborhood and it seems to work really well into the failing light of the evening. I can't wait to get it on my 5r and see if it tracks well and repeats.

Here are a few pics.
c7c2eff1.jpg

61ae7b42.jpg

0885c333.jpg

4025013d.jpg

6415a5e6.jpg
0833417c.jpg

$300?! Man, that was a steal!

These are the same scopes that were on Crane M25s. I bought one at the gun show in Puyallup, Washington, in 1990 for $750.

When I showed up to a training event with it on my personal M25 one of my SEAL colleagues said, "Wow, good snag." I knew about their durability, clarity, and repeatability but didn't know much else. He assured me they were good scopes when he remarked their waterproofing test included mounting it on the gun -- and leaving it at the bottom of the pool for three weeks.

Good deal!

Good to hear! I was stoked to get this thing. I was looking at getting a SWFA 10x42 HD from Samplelist.com for like 650 so I was glad to save a few hundred bucks and still get a good scope on my rifle.

Was talking with the owner of my local gun store today about optics and a scope for my newly purchased 700 5r and he mentioned having an old scope hanging around from one of his old rifles that he sold.

The scope was a Bausch and Lomb model 62-1040 10x40 with mil dot reticle and large tactical style knobs. It was overall in pretty good condition with a couple small nicks in the finish around the objective bell and some light witness marks from the rings. It also had flip up caps.

I looked through it outside and it seemed to be a really clear and nice scope.
The turrets seemed firm and the detents were solid though not really very audible like my SS6x42. It looks very much like the SS 10x42 HD I was looking at but for much less money.

My question is are these good scopes for someone getting started shooting LR and what are they worth?
When these scopes came out in the early 90's B&L sent us one to try. They told us that the SEALS wanted the scopes but settled for something else. They sent us one to use and kept it for a year. It had a 30mm tube, mil dot reticle, and was good at night. I thinl the price then was $1200. We finally bought it from B&L for about $750. Had to write an endorsement letter. Great scope.

Last edited: