• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing B.O.S.S. without ports

3me

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
KC
www.3me.us
A few years ago I ran across a website that featured a shroud device for the B.O.S.S. that did not have the muzzle brake ports cut into it, but yet allowed it to function as a harmonic stabilizer. I lost the URL and can't seem to find it again. Anyone know what I am talking about? Opinions? Experiences?

Re: B.O.S.S. without ports

The BOSS is a system that is made up of two parts. You have the counter weight (the part with the numbers on it) and the muzzle break (part with the holes)

You are looking for the CR sleeve which replaces the muzzle break. Picture below for reference.

BOSS-CR-MID-114001-l.jpg

Re: B.O.S.S. without ports

Yep the CR or conventional recoil is the ticket if you want to keep your eardrums, Ive owned 4 boss Win. mod 70 , 2 shot like custom rigs, I also had a chance to talk with an engineer that did the BOSS project and fire over 20,000 rounds, he told me on the hummer barrels that 1/4 " groups were not uncommon and for some reason the Win barrels did better than browning barrels. very interesting guy. The break works well as my 300 win mag feels like a hot 25-06 rather than a 300 mag, I always warn pals around on ear protection.
cool.gif

Prior to my retirement, I was the Chief Firearms test Engineer at Browning Arms R&D Division for many years.

I performed all the developmental testing for the BOSS system (well over 30,000 rounds fired)

To find your sweet spot, I'd suggest the following procedure.

With the system set at mid point, fire a carefully aimed 3 shot group. Adjust the weight 1/4 turn in either direction and fire another group of 3 shots. Compare the results. If the group is smaller, (if the group opens up, go in the other direction) continue in 1/4 turn increments until you reach optimum. The groups will open up again if you adjust past the optimum.
It's important let the rifle cool between groups.

That's the procedure I followed in determining starting points for the system. All testing was with commercial ammo, in a 100 yard tunnel with VERY good optics. After a short time, no one got very excited at any groups that were not sub 1/4". I recall one group that was .0029, right, 29 thousandths of an inch, but it must be remembered this was done under optimal conditions with high quality optics.

Hope this is of some use to you. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Best regards,
Rob
Edited by - blacarrow on 06/30/2008 11:48:36 PM