• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

B14 Hunter 308 Load development

03-MM

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2023
PA
I Bought a b14 Hunter wilderness in 308. started working on some load development and am having a had time getting good accuracy. I have started with Reloader 15, Remington large rifle primers, Norma Brass, and Sierra tipped match king 168g. My COAL is 2.80 as i couldn't make it any longer and still reliably feed. I started with 42g of powder then went to 43g and 44g. It didnt like the 44g and seemed to be a compressed load but the 42 and 43g shot about the same which was about 1.5" @100

Does anyone have any good load data for this rifle that i could try?

Your loads typically produce good results.
I have used reloder 15, AR Comp, Varget and IMR 4064, all with excellent results.
I would check your scope base, scope rings and scope.
I had accuracy issues a while back and discovered my scope base screws, which were torqued and loc-tited had come loose.
Buy a box of federal gold medal match.
If, after confirming everything else, it still won't shoot, it's probably a bad barrel

Reactions: simonp
Is RL 15 your only powder ? The normal equivalent load to FGMM 168 is 41.78 of IMR 4064, call it 42.0
BUT, have you gone over your rifle /scope to check that everything is tight , and that the barrel is not touching the stock in the barrel channel ?
308 service rifle data There are several reloading manuals on line , here is the Hodgdon's "service rifle"

Reactions: simonp
Your loads typically produce good results.
I have used reloder 15, AR Comp, Varget and IMR 4064, all with excellent results.
I would check your scope base, scope rings and scope.
I had accuracy issues a while back and discovered my scope base screws, which were torqued and loc-tited had come loose.
Buy a box of federal gold medal match.
If, after confirming everything else, it still won't shoot, it's probably a bad barrel
I will go through and check my scope mounting. Granted i am still "breaking in the barrel" as i have only put about 30 rounds through it but i just expected better results out of the box. i put those same hand loads through my step sons Ruger american predator and we got 3/8" groups

Is RL 15 your only powder ? The normal equivalent load to FGMM 168 is 41.78 of IMR 4064, call it 42.0
BUT, have you gone over your rifle /scope to check that everything is tight , and that the barrel is not touching the stock in the barrel channel ?
308 service rifle data There are several reloading manuals on line , here is the Hodgdon's "service rifle"
I have RL 15 i intended to use with my 308 and i also have H4831sc that i use in my 300 wm. I have been comparing loads between Speer manual and Noslers Manual along with reading threads about what people are having success with. I will have to go over my scope screws to make sure everything is torqued to spec. I have also checked the barrel to make sure it is free floated too and it looks good.

Try here : https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/308-winchester.135/page-43#post-11221923

One of my accurate loads for my 308 bolt guns is 43.5 Re-15 with the old 168 A Max. Consistently shoots well under 1 MOA.

Every rifle is different. You just have to experiment. The link above is the 308 Win. bolt gun load threads at the the top of this forum.
I will definitely try the 168 A max. Ive seen many people say great things about it on many different forums. I just wish there was more space in the Mag so i could play with seating depth more.

I went over everything and discovered that my scope was slipping in my $30 Leupold rings even after torquing them to specs. I went ahead and got some Vortex Pro rings and it stopped moving and groups got better.