• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

back at the bench after 2 years

junglejim23

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2008
Santee,California PRK
So after 2 years away from my bench I got back on the horse and started loading again. Switched from a RCBS turret press to a Dillon XL 650 big change for the better I hope the Dillon is a pain in the ass to change Calibers. Any tips on this guys ? any of you guys use the Dillon power case trimmer ?

any tips on the 650 would be great

just ran a run of 185 gr XTP's in 45 acp looking to run some 168 smk's next

Re: back at the bench after 2 years

I picked up a used Dillon trimmer with 2 dies from a hide member. Using a 550b I set up a tool head with a decapper and the trimmer. After sizing and trimming I chamfer and do any other prep the cases might need. The trimmer dosen't really leave a burr but I like to chamfer them any way. I may tumble them for a short time after this. Once cases are ready I have a seperate tool head with a decapper in the first station, this clears the flash holes if needed, second is the powder die, then the seater, the last station is empty.
With the 650 you could put a powder check die in for good measure. A lube die might be a good way to go on the first tool head also(I keep forgetting to order one). I don't think it is a good idea to try to run the trimmer on the same head as the powder die. I don't have room on the 550, you might on the 650 but I still wouldn't do it myself due to the vibration. The motor also gets pretty hot.

Between the trimmer and the attached shop vac, it is LOUD! I throw on a set of ear muffs and go to town.

Re: back at the bench after 2 years

yeah I was thinking of mounting my turret press as well and using it for trimming and de-capping military brass just don't have room for it really. what I need is a pair of partner presses for that