• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back Country Hiking Carry Setup

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
There was another thread here that turned me on to a solution for a somewhat covert carry setup for my next National Park / Hiking Trip next month. So Here goes. I was looking for a way to "hide" a Glock G40 with Optic and TLR-1 or I was going to buy a G29 and well I like the G40 for bear country more. I normally would have conceded I don't care who can see it and I'm rocking my Gunfighters INC Kenai and to hell with anyone who doesn't like it. That said, this trip has the potential to cross more hikers and well lets just face it, gun owners are under attack at all ends and I would rather fly under the radar and enjoy my trip. So here goes, Gun is a 10mm Glock 40 with an optic and a light. The chest pack I ended up with is a Hill People Gear Original V2. I tossed 2 HSGI mini Tacos in it for spare mags and a Vertx Tactigami to hold the gun just right. Also since deer season I have been toying with the idea of swapping from my Vortex Optics Vemon to a bit higher quality dot. I ended up with a Leupold Delta Point Pro at my LGS, for a good deal and went that route. Overall great swap with only one exception at this point, my suppressor sights are not nearly tall enough to co witness the dot. Plus one for the RMR in the case. So now on to the huge photo dump.

All the goodies ready to setup.

Whole kit.JPG

Venom.JPG

DPP Mounted.JPG

Kit Bag.JPG
Tactigami.JPG

Tactigami Mounted.JPG

HSGI Taco Mounted.JPG

I added a paracord pull to make access into the gun much faster.

Paracord pull cord.JPG

Reactions: godofthunder
I definitely prefer chest carry in the woods, if you need concealment that’s a good setup. I tend to open carry via a chest rig but then again I usually try for less crowded areas.

I definitely prefer chest carry in the woods, if you need concealment that’s a good setup. I tend to open carry via a chest rig but then again I usually try for less crowded areas.
Agreed, this seemed like a good compromise. I'm hoping for less crowded but who knows, what will happen once we get there.

I’ve got the same chest pack and love it. I carry it backpacking and fly fishing with a Xds 45/9. It’s also nice that I can get wader deep and still keep it dry. Of course I have occasionally got a little deeper than that at times!

Good stuff! I have a V2 in manatee that I wear a lot around the city. I can't explain how awesome it is to have a full size pistol with light on me while I'm in shorts and a tee shirt and no one is the wiser. I've been wondering if a G40 w/ light and red dot would fit, now I know! Good call on the tacos too, hadn't figured out what I wanted to do for spare mags yet.

Nice! I’m partial to the recon but they’re all good bags

How many rounds do you plan on slinging at that bear?

I love HPG gear, but that rig is not fast for drawing, and bears are, well, really fucking fast. If you are worried about a bear attacking you, wear something like the Gunfighters rig. Also carry bear spray. I live in griz country and generally do not carry when I hike, but maybe I am a moron.

Similar to what I carry around the yard when working outside. Keeps the gun nice and clean compared to OC on the hip.
B0F352B2-D81B-4ADA-AEB4-960A588A03B5.jpeg

29A9831A-CD6F-48BD-A4E0-58FEF1E3766B.jpeg

I love HPG gear, but that rig is not fast for drawing, and bears are, well, really fucking fast. If you are worried about a bear attacking you, wear something like the Gunfighters rig. Also carry bear spray. I live in griz country and generally do not carry when I hike, but maybe I am a moron.
Define "fast"

It's faster than running home to grab that gun that you weren't carrying because you couldn't find a comfortable, workable way to carry it.

I've been about to successfully draw and fire 1st round (dryfire) around the 1.5s mark consistently. Not USPSA GM fast, but plenty fast from my experience in competitive shooting.

Also, carrying a gun is only part of the solution. Being aware of your surroundings is incredibly important (duh, we all know that) and will more than likely give you a LOT longer than 1.5s to draw that pistol if there were to be a bear encounter.

Well, a griz can go from 0-35 mph or so pretty quickly. I'm just saying that if you want to depend on a gun for bear defense, you are probably best having it a bit more accessible. There are only a couple parks in the continental US where you would really be worried about bears, Glacier, Yellowstone and Teton. In any of those, you wouldn't get strange looks for having your gun more accessible than in a HPG rig. Just my .02.

I can tell you that when I go into the Bob Marshall, I do carry a gun, and I carry an HPG front pack, but I carry the gun on my belt. It just works better for me that way, given how many chest draws I would have to do to come close to the number of hip draws I've practiced. Personal preference, though, and I am generally more worried about cats and coyotes than I am bears. Again, maybe dumb that way.

If you are going to a different park, and just talking about black bears, carry whatever and however. Unless you are in Alaska, they really are pretty docile. Last time I was in the Bob, I had one walk up 30 yards from us when we were eating. My dog gave it a nasty look and the thing ran as fast as it could in the other direction.

Most important part of being aware of your surroundings in griz territory is to make sure you have good bear proof stuff, and you tether it well. Don't leave garbage around, and don't gun any elk. lol. The latter is a much bigger danger with bears than just walking around the park.

The correct answer is as many rounds as it takes. Again I get there is a compromise between speed and concealment, this will still allow me to carry the gun I want and not advertise it to everyone on the trail.

Which park are you going to? If you are in a gun friendly locale, and you are really worried about bears, I'd go with the Kenai and skip the zipper.

You are probably just fine with the HPG pack. Black bears are likely to give you more time to get yourself ready, or you could just throw a rock at them and have them run away.

I hate to say anything bad about HPG, because their stuff is awesome. I just don't like having a gun behind a zipper if I am really worried about an attack. In some places it is reasonable as people will give you a really weird time for carrying exposed.

You are probably just fine with the HPG pack. Black bears are likely to give you more time to get yourself ready, or you could just throw a rock at them and have them run away.

I hate to say anything bad about HPG, because their stuff is awesome. I just don't like having a gun behind a zipper if I am really worried about an attack. In some places it is reasonable as people will give you a really weird time for carrying exposed.
This is exactly why I choose this setup.

You'll be better covered against 2 legged predators in the Smokeys with that setup. And the bag will keep the gentle east coasters from soiling their REI hiking pants. Every black bear I've seen in the Appalachians vaporized into a cloud of assholes and elbows within a second.

Another source of light fast mag pouches:

Reactions: 300zx_tt

The zipper is not an issue. its actually faster than a shoulder holster or dicking with trying to get a holster covered by straps or a pack.

You just leave a 1-2" opening on one side with the double zippers... all u have to do is shove hand in and it will open the bag and pull the gun out.

The zipper is not an issue. its actually faster than a shoulder holster or dicking with trying to get a holster covered by straps or a pack.

You just leave a 1-2" opening on one side with the double zippers... all u have to do is shove hand in and it will open the bag and pull the gun out.
Interesting. I'll fuck around with it a bit tonight.

I also added a 6in piece of paracord to that allows you to "Rip" the zipper open. I didn't try it on a timer but its faster than digging through day pack straps and jackets.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I’m an east coaster as well, I usually have my gp100 in a chest rig. If I’m going somewhere “crowded” or potentially populated with libs I will just toss on my rain jacket/windbreaker and zip it a little (4-6”). That Leaves me with a wide open jacket that keeps the gun somewhat concealed. As far as bear protection around my parts... Let’s just say I’m glad I carried quite a few times, and I’ve only seen one bear on trail.

I usually have my G26 and call it good, fits in my pack waistbelt pocket (with a 550 "rip" cord) and I can conceal it normally while in camp. Like I said, I think the 2 leggers are more of a threat on the AT/in the Smokeys.

When I've hiked in AK and MT (Yellowstone NP and Spanish Peaks area) I carried my G20. In YNP more people open carried in the backcountry than didn't and everyone was polite. That was 2010 IIRC and there had already been a couple of people killed by brown bears. OP, that looks like a nice bag and thanks for sharing your setup.

I'm down on the GA coast now but when I was in the Atlanta area I remember an incident where a father and like 9yr old son were camping at a AT shelter site not far from a road (Low Gap I think). They had a small cooler that a black bear came up and started dragging off. The son started yelling and the bear stopped and growled threateningly. The father chucked a piece of firewood that hit the bear in the head and killed it.

The dad was prior-svc USMC and the joke was never get between a Marine and his cub.

I leave the gap too, it's very quick to draw. I pull the zipper hard to the side while reaching in and drawing at the same time...very effective.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I live in Wyoming and spend alot of time in bear country, hiking, hunting, and fishing.

I carry my G20 with a TLR in a Gun fighters Inc Gen 2 Kenai, and my wife does the same. I haven't found a better way to carry with a pack.

Last edited:
I’ve hiked almost every trial in the Park at the Smokies, plus a few in Cherokee and I’ve never even seen a bear outside the damn trashcans around the main strand in Gatlinburg and the rental cabins. WAY too many people to see normal wildlife. We started going to Asheville to get away from it and take the dogs but now Asheville is getting just as bad, maybe worse. Instead of seasoned citizen, traffic stopping leaf watchers it’s woke guilt ridden 20 somethings.

Nice setup, I looked at one in the Hill People store in Grand Junction. For the GSM park I just pocket carry a 9mm. My trip to Yellowstone this year, I’m undecided. May be forced to carry a 1911 in 45 as I don’t have a 10mm or a magnum wheel gun. Piss poor planning on my part but had the world not gone mad it normally wouldn’t be an issue...

Enjoy the trails. There are some really nice hikes. Even doing LeConte get out super early or half you hike will be getting to the trailhead from the 4th parking area down. Best trail we ever did was Ramsey’s cascades. Trail was closed due to a bridge out but we said fuck it and risked the ticket. It was wonderful, just my wife and I.

I’ve hiked almost every trial in the Park at the Smokies, plus a few in Cherokee and I’ve never even seen a bear outside the damn trashcans around the main strand in Gatlinburg and the rental cabins. WAY too many people to see normal wildlife. We started going to Asheville to get away from it and take the dogs but now Asheville is getting just as bad, maybe worse. Instead of seasoned citizen, traffic stopping leaf watchers it’s woke guilt ridden 20 somethings.

Nice setup, I looked at one in the Hill People store in Grand Junction. For the GSM park I just pocket carry a 9mm. My trip to Yellowstone this year, I’m undecided. May be forced to carry a 1911 in 45 as I don’t have a 10mm or a magnum wheel gun. Piss poor planning on my part but had the world not gone mad it normally wouldn’t be an issue...

Enjoy the trails. There are some really nice hikes. Even doing LeConte get out super early or half you hike will be getting to the trailhead from the 4th parking area down. Best trail we ever did was Ramsey’s cascades. Trail was closed due to a bridge out but we said fuck it and risked the ticket. It was wonderful, just my wife and I.

LeConte is one we have on the list. How long did it take to do LeConte and did you go via Alum Cave Trail? All Trails list is a 5 and a half hour loop. I have read anywhere from 4-8 hours online.

We have done Alum cave route once and rainbow falls trailhead twice. We haven’t done the Trillium Gap route but since we take our dogs now we likely won’t. It’s supposed to be the easiest route, but also the longest. I don’t recall the time it took. Probably 6 hours round trip with pics, lunch and looking around the cabin site. Last time up the alpaca train was up. Neat way to resupply the cabins.

I hear the rangers put up a gate at Chimney Rock so you can’t get to the top. If true, that’s some bullshit BUT for whatever reason hikers in TN feel that it’s OK to litter on the trails and damage landings, etc. I never see this kind of behavior when we hike CO or Utah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aescobar17
We have done Alum cave route once and rainbow falls trailhead twice. We haven’t done the Trillium Gap route but since we take our dogs now we likely won’t. It’s supposed to be the easiest route, but also the longest. I don’t recall the time it took. Probably 6 hours round trip with pics, lunch and looking around the cabin site. Last time up the alpaca train was up. Neat way to resupply the cabins.

I hear the rangers put up a gate at Chimney Rock so you can’t get to the top. If true, that’s some bullshit BUT for whatever reason hikers in TN feel that it’s OK to litter on the trails and damage landings, etc. I never see this kind of behavior when we hike CO or Utah.
We only have 2 full days to explore and part of the 2 days we travel. Trying to fit in as much as we can.

There is another retarded trend that I wish would die right now of people stacking rocks everywhere. It used to be a trailmarker now there's just random retarded balancing rocks. I watched a ranger kick a pile over in Arches and I said thanks. Litter and stacking rocks should earn you a punch in the mouth.

Reactions: greentick
Mt. LeConte via Rainbow Falls
Ramsey’s Cascade
Chimney Rock (will be crowded)
Abraham Falls (crowded, the otters are cool if they’re on site and the frontier living cabins)

Get the bear claw brownie at The Park. :)

Used to be Rock cairns used to mean something. They don’t bother me as much but if I was geocaching or needed to use one for a trial marker I’d be pissed. Trash, for me, should be corporal punishment.

Last edited:
Charlie's Bunion may be another that fits your criteria. Has the added circus of the parking lot at Newfound Gap. It's a pretty good hump up from the gap but not horrible (my then 7yr old daughter did it pretty easily) which will cull most tourists out. If you do it, the point you can stand on (called Fodderstack sometimes) is a short side trail off the AT that goes all the way around the "bunion." If you do this hike i recommend continuing around the side trail until it rejoins the AT. Turn right on the AT to head back to the trailhead at Newfound Gap.

Reactions: FatBoy