• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back from RIFLES ONLY!

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Just got back home from spending three days under Jacob's wing at RIFLES ONLY. Don't even know how to begin explaining what I experienced.....It can be summed up in this phrase: <span style="font-weight: bold">Jacob has a GIFT</span>

I was introduced to this site by Jacob as well so I'd like this post to be a "thank you" to Jacob as well as an intoduction for me. Hope to become an active member here.
As far as precision rifle training goes.....Throw everything you think you know out the window....go spend some time at RIFLES ONLY and learn how to drive your rifle.....I'll be going back soon!

Re: Back from RIFLES ONLY!

Great, just what we need... More Texas trash here...
grin.gif

Welcome!

You should join the on-line training forum as well, it's only 10 bucks a month and the stuff I've learned there has already produced great results.

TXBRASS:

Did you take a private course? My friend and I are going there next month for two days. With work and family we could only manage a couple of days off. We are taking the online training now and want to get as much training as we can before we get there. Do you recall your round count? Anything you can think of to help us be better prepared for the class, please let me know.

Ashland,

Yes....Private instruction.....Went thru just under 400 rounds in 3 days....

Sunblock above your eyes will just flood down into your eyes when its 105 degrees out and will make a clear sight picture extremely difficult! :)

I read a bunch of the posts on here before I went and NOTHING can prepare you for Jacob. I didn't get the on-line training until I was with Jacob, but I am the kind of learner that does good with a teacher right there so not sure how much that would have better prepared me, but it definatley is good after the fact and also during......

Know this: Jacob will give you understanding and information that will change you as a shooter.....mark my word.....you will go in thinking you know what you know and come out with a foundation to build your training on that is rock solid.....but for me anyway is different than anything that I could have been prepared for......one of those:

YOU GOTTA GO

to get the real experience THINGS.....

You will be pleased....trust me.....

he wears weird shoes a lot

No just weird shoes. He starts teaching and I just keep staring at his weird shoes.

But everything TXBRASS wrote is correct.

Thanks for the information everyone. We'll have our DOPE for 100 to 1,000. Then we'll shut up and listen.

What clothes do you recommend. Shorts or long pants? I know it will be nice and cool down there in mid July.

The ground bites - fire ants, chiggers, grass burrs - and the sun will burn you to a crisp. Long pants and long-sleeve shirts.

Take bug spray and sun block. Take a water bottle - the range vehicles have water cans. Drink a lot. If you're not peeing at least once per hour, you're dehydrated, and dehydration makes you less able to absorb the instruction.

I wore BDU pants with t-shirt the first day and then BDU pants with long sleeve BDU top the next 2 days....
Main reason for switching to long sleeve BDU top was because I was sweating so much, I'd end up rubbing my forehead with my forearm and that would get the whole "sunscreen in they eyes thing going again".....
In over 100 degrees the longsleeves will be wet almost immediately with sweat and with the S. Texas wind it will cool you......ok, maybe not cool you, but it wont let you die.....

Jacob Lisa Frank Lindy and I knows theres more but forget there names are some of the best people on the planet, an education from Rifles Only is like a degree from an ivy league school, it cannot be taken away.

Man I can't wait to go to rifles only. Oh and by the way I have been wearing vibram five fingers for 3 years now, and they are the best shoes you can put on your feet. my wife calls them socially exceptable barefeet.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the information everyone. We'll have our DOPE for 100 to 1,000. Then we'll shut up and listen.

What clothes do you recommend. Shorts or long pants? I know it will be nice and cool down there in mid July. </div></div>

In addition to long pants/shirt, I found using a shemagh under my hat kept the Texas sun from melting my neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything you can think of to help us be better prepared for the class</div></div>Capri pants: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the after action report. I'm already lining up my trip to Rifles Only. I will go as soon as my current rifle project is complete and my ST-10 comes in.

TXBRASS, what course did you take? I'm assuming Precision Rifle 1? That's what I want to take. I was hoping to go in the fall but don't think my glass will be in yet. But no big deal, I'll go when I get it.

Is Corpus Christi the closest airport? How far is RO from Corpus?

BTW, those shoes are POWERFUL gay. Nothing much else to be said about them.

Shot yesterday in 95-98 degree temps bright sun. 10-4 on the schmega. Got a nice burn going but I did get my ranges out to 900 yds. Figured it was a good train up for RO. Will shoot at least one more time before going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the after action report. I'm already lining up my trip to Rifles Only. I will go as soon as my current rifle project is complete and my ST-10 comes in.

TXBRASS, what course did you take? I'm assuming Precision Rifle 1? That's what I want to take. I was hoping to go in the fall but don't think my glass will be in yet. But no big deal, I'll go when I get it.

BTW, those shoes are POWERFUL gay. Nothing much else to be said about them. </div></div>

RO is about 30min tops from Corpus, Yes it is the closest airport. If your time and finances permit take the PR 1&2 Combo. If your coming that far do the whole dance, you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dag1055</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the after action report. I'm already lining up my trip to Rifles Only. I will go as soon as my current rifle project is complete and my ST-10 comes in.

BTW, those shoes are POWERFUL gay. Nothing much else to be said about them. </div></div>

RO is about 30min tops from Corpus, Yes it is the closest airport. If your time and finances permit take the PR 1&2 Combo. If your coming that far do the whole dance, you won't regret it. </div></div>

Yep, good advice. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

Thanks.

Just a small correction Don, RO is about 45 minutes from the Corpus airport, unless you're riding with Lisa. In that case it only take 18 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a small correction Don, RO is about 45 minutes from the Corpus airport, unless you're riding with Lisa. In that case it only take 18 minutes. </div></div>

lol, Tony your right although after driving all the way from NOLA, I was on a mission, and that was to Hotel not RO.

There are plenty of hotels in kingsville, most use the new Hampton Inn, or the Rodeway, but there are at least 8 there right off the highway only about 15 minutes from the range.