• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Back from the range with a few questions

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
At the range today I zeroed my rifle at 100yards. then proceeded to shoot at 1" dot tagets for extra practice. after running them trough OnTarget they range between 1.7 and 1.3 moa. As a novice shooter I am content with the shooting but would really like to improve. My platform is capable of .5moa accuracy and would like to atleast be abole to hold 1moa. I have noticed pulse is a problem but after readin up on the forums i am going to loosen my grip on the pistol grip and work on a better cheekweld.

my questions are what do you recomend for practice? Is this an acceptable accuracy or should i be grouping tighter as a new shooter?

range conditions:

38% humidity
93* F
wind 0mph
sun bright from my 2 o'clock
shooting prone off bipod
no rear bag
in full length BDU'S ( hot!!!)

shooting M855 62gr.

(please no comments on bulk ammo I know its crap) have my good ammo at the house but this is cheap to practice with.)

Pics:

gear and shooting position

2010-08-24T22-24-58.jpg

range to target from firing line

2010-08-24T22-25-21.jpg

Targets:

3.jpg

2.jpg

Re: Back from the range with a few questions

Usually the more practice ya do the better shooting ya do.

It takes time to develop better skills. Like anything else, I think at first as you develop your skills you see nice improvements and as you strive for even tighter groups or hits on farther targets sometimes it takes more effort and work to squeeze a good group down even tighter. Refinements have to be more precise in your loading practices and attention to having everything exactly the same each time it goes bang to achieve the wee groups you see on here or hear about.

Keep at it... takes time. If it came easy everyone would be doing it.

Topstrap

M855 is loaded to 2MOA standard.

So there you go.

John

Yep. Get some real ammo and try again. Almost any 223 should shoout about 1 MOA with the right ammo and shooter. Your rifle should be capable of MOA or better.

Nice stick dude.

Practice practice practice and you will improve rapidly.

Cant comment on the ammos inherant accuracy, but maybe try another round for size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M855 is loaded to 2MOA standard.

So there you go.

John </div></div>

+1