• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back pack to hold rifle elk hunt?

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I am looking for a backpack to start hunting with. This pack will only be used for day to day hunting. I will only be loading it for 2 days in the woods while only staying for one day. I just need a light weight pack to carry a gun suppplies for the day.

I am looking at the Vorn Series of packs, any input.

My opinion, I think you are wasting effort and resources dealing with 2 packs. I would look at what is your worst cast scenario regarding a pack-out and just plan for that particular pack. All the good hunting packs can have a rifle strapped to the outside, can be compressed down for day hunting and are very lite weight. I would honestly look at Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier. And then if needed run a Kifaru Gunbearer. I would forget about a rifle scabbard type of pack.

Lastly, I own and have used both the Vorn Deer and Lynx packs. The scabbard system is unique and I do feel the best option out there but they have draw backs. I am note sure what type of rifle you will be hunting with but I have had fitment issues trying to use a tactical style stock and/or scope with large turrets (KRG, Manners, AI, SB, TT)(which is why you see most of their marketing using Blasers IMHO). Really best suited for a traditional hunting rifle design with a low profile turret. I have also had issues with seams failing. They are not made as well as the packs listed above. They don't handle weight as well and you will be lacking volume specifically on a Elk pack-out.

My thing with packs is that I don't generally give a shit what the pack body is - its all the frame and harness.

I have long since settled on the Mystery Ranch stuff as the best of breed for my back shape.
Which mystery ranch packs do you use mate? I’m looking at grabbing one of the terraframes for back country work

Anybody with experience with the Kuiu packs?
I’ve hauled an Ultra 6000 through the Maroon Bells of Colorado after elk. Light weight, heavy load capacity. Designed to morph into a meat hauler when necessary. My hunting partner was carrying a Sitka pack. After the first day he was dragging. The load lifters are not situated correctly on that pack and were not doing the job they are supposed to do, lifting the weight off your shoulders. He was hurting when the week was over. It didn’t help that his pack was several lbs heavier than mine- empty- and he was a bit less frugal about the total weigh of the pack as well. Irony being what it is, Kuiu was founded by the same guy that started Sitka.

That said, they are built to be light weight, and there are some trade offs. The zippers and seams are not waterproof- adds weight. The interior is one cavernous opening; no interior pockets, not even a hydration sleeve (adds weight). You can buy a waterproof pack cover, though an added expense and added weight. You can add a hydration bladder sleeve- again added expense and weight. You can purchase interior organizer pouches, with the additional expense and weight that entails.

Even given the trade offs, I love my pack. The frame fits me. Empty and set up how I’m going to carry it (added straps, hydration sleeve, etc), the pack and frame combined weigh less than 4.5 lbs- on my home scale. When you’re carrying everything you need for a week of hunting in the mountains, every ounce matters. My philosophy is that a pack is the vessel that carries the stuff you need. It should be as light as possible. Even with that light weight, it is rated to carry 150 lbs.

There are a lot of companies that make great packs. Ideally, you’d be able to try them before you buy them. Unfortunately, Kuiu has a direct to consumer online model- unless you live close enough to their store in California. I think Kifaru does as well, though they’re in a different state. I’m not sure about Mystery Ranch. If you can check your indignation at the door, a great place to try packs is REI. They tend to have staff that actually know what they are talking about. You can get measured there, try out a bunch of packs (with some weight in them) and decide what works for you. Then go online and buy a pack that matches those specs.

I’m with the poster that said you should avoid getting 2 packs. I considered getting a smaller day pack to put on the ultra frame, once we made camp. I decided against that as it was extra weight to pack in, and I’m already carrying a perfectly serviceable bag. The 6000 has straps and sinches to pull it down to a surprisingly small footprint. And, at 4.5 weight savings of going to a 1800 are pretty small.

Until my hunting partners bailed, I was planning an elk trip for this year. The Kuiu pack was the one item I did not consider replacing.

the new kuiu pro series packs and suspension are a big improvement comfort wise, even if sacrificing a little weight. the rifle carrier is great even for my PRS rig

Had the kuiu for a while and went with Kifaru. Much better for hauling. I still have a few Kuiu bags I've attached to the Kifaru frame for different things here and there. Wish I went Kifaru from the start but the kuiu does fine. I have limited experience with the EXO K2 and that was a decent pack. The 2000 with a added load shelf is a good combo for day/1-3 day and able to haul at least a rear 1/4 out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulezoo
I usually solo hunt, and when I do I have a Kifaru pack on my back. Add a gun bearer, and you don’t have to worry about your rifle when packing. No problems carrying heavy loads at all, bulletproof and made in Merica.

Reactions: Soulezoo
Anybody with experience with the Kuiu packs?

Me and a buddy packed caribou and deer with our Kuiu 3200 and 5200. Icon Pro is the most robust. The frame and suspension system is fantastic. I tried Eberlestock, don't like that system.

Kuiu is a great option. You can use the gun bearer option from Kuiu, strap the rifle into the compression side buckles, or I even put it between the frame and pack, using the buckles for the meat shelf system.

The trip was such fun I feel compelled to post more pictures than necessary...

20190828_115209.jpg
20190829_210018.jpg
20190902_191338.jpg
20190828_112305.jpg

For a minimalist approach that will carry a rifle or also haul meat ( and not be very expensive), take a look at the Eberlestock Tall Mainframe with batwings. I went this route for a hunt coming up in two weeks. I wanted a daypack with meat packing capability, that could carry a heavy rifle muzzle-up because I hunt suppressed. While I haven't yet hunted with it, I've hiked around with my rifle in it enough to be confident it will work. I have a tactical style M700 with an S&B PMII .

I just set the butt of the rifle on the shelf of the mainframe, and zip the batwings together. The wings hold the rifle in nicely (you'd have to do a cartwheel to lose it, and even then I'm not sure) yet I can still pull it out over my head. Bipod stays right on the gun no problem, its above anything that would interfere.

I chose the Tall frame because it moved the top bar of the frame beyond the end of my scope when the butt rests on the shelf. Nothing hard banging on my optic. I did use a bit of strap at the bottom to close the gap at the elbow of the shelf to make sure the rifle butt didn't slip through that opening.

I was torn between the Vorn and something that could haul meat more effectively. The eberlestock frame/harness is obviously designed to handle serious weight. With just my rifle and day-hunt supplies on it, its very underloaded and super comfortable. Really glad I went this route.

Me and a buddy packed caribou and deer with our Kuiu 3200 and 5200. Icon Pro is the most robust. The frame and suspension system is fantastic. I tried Eberlestock, don't like that system.

Kuiu is a great option. You can use the gun bearer option from Kuiu, strap the rifle into the compression side buckles, or I even put it between the frame and pack, using the buckles for the meat shelf system.

The trip was such fun I feel compelled to post more pictures than necessary...

View attachment 7146213View attachment 7146214View attachment 7146215View attachment 7146216
Thanks. Great photos. Have been looking at Kuiu packs and game bags.

Thanks. Great photos. Have been looking at Kuiu packs and game bags.

The game bags are great as well. That's what we used. You can pick up gently used Kuiu or other stuff off Rokslide (it is a great forum to research hunting gear) and there is a Kuiu sale/trade Facebook group as well.

Reactions: pbatesaz
Might want to give EXO Moutain Gear a look. Well made, comfortable, designed for hunting. They offer several different sizes.

Reactions: kabarNC
A big plus one on Exo packs, they compress down flat to your back for day hunting, and can expand out to hold a week's worth of gear. A great design also for carrying meat out along with your other gear. I went K3 4800 and plan on a 5 day backcountry hunt this Oct.

I've got an icon pro 1850 that has been great as a day pack. You could probably pack enough crap in it to make it over night, but I hunt in similar situations to you so I don't have to. Carried it around while scouting elk last year with rifle in the pack for bears and a shotgun in hand for grouse without issues. The only slight negative I can come up with is that the shoulder straps are kind of thick and could cause some heartache if shooting with the pack still on. I usually unhook the sternum strap and slide the shoulder to the side and it works just fine.