• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Back To Basics

Scottnoidea

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2022
Queensland Australia
I recently pulled a Nightforce SHV 4-14×56 off my bolt action hunting rifle. The scope was needed for another project. Looking in the cupboard the only other scope I had to replace it with was a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4×20. I considered buying another scope but as I don't generally take shots over 300m with the rifle I thought I'd test it in a format to simulate pig hunting. I mounted it up and was immediately impressed with the improvement in handling and weight of the rifle.

Summary of test was:
5 shots each from prone, sitting and standing at 100m - only support was a hunting sling. All shots fired as rapidly as I could acquire a sight picture.

5 shots each from prone and sitting at 200m as per above.

5 shots prone at 300m as per above.

The result of all 30 rounds was 28 shots that landed in the heat/lung area of the target (medium sized pig simulation) 1 shot that would have needed a follow up and 1 shot at 300m that missed. It was raining and I had water on the scope and my glasses so it was as real world conditions as I could get.

I'm going to leave the scope on the rifle. It's much nicer and lighter to carry, no parallax to mess around with and gives me the performance I want out to 300m.

Anyone else use such a basic scope for hunting? How have you found it? Has 4× magnification limited you in the field. Interested to hear other people's experience.

I slapped a Vortex SE 1-6 on a Remington Model 7 and it was an awesome combo. I wish I had kept the rifle.

C.jpg

Nice looking rig. Did you replace it with something similar?

Here is my Rem 700 with the little Leupold.

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_105844156~2.jpg
    IMG_20230313_105844156~2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 36
Nice looking rig. Did you replace it with something similar?

Unfortunately no and at the moment I don't have the requirement or funds to put something similar together again. Maybe one day but if I do it will be on a Remington 700 clone more than likely just for the availability of parts and compatibility with what I already have.

I had a 1-6 in QD mount on my CZ 527 Youth model 7.62x39. Sweet little rifle, also wish I hadn't sold it.

Unfortunately no and at the moment I don't have the requirement or funds to put something similar together again. Maybe one day but if I do it will be on a Remington 700 clone more than likely just for the availability of parts and compatibility with what I already have.
Parts are the reason I still have my Remmy 700. Rifle parts are hard to come by here in Australia. Before importing became so regulated I brought in spares of everything from Brownells, Sinclair's, Numerich etc. I keep the Remmy as I know I can keep it functioning essentially forever. Besides, after I replaced the stock, trigger and bolt internals it is a decent shooter.