• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back to basics

tmcginnis

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
Texas
I didnt know quite where to post this, so i figured this would be the best place.

Yesterday i went to the range to shoot a few down the tube of the .308 before i go 'yote hunting this weekend. I grabbed my .22 lr right as i left just because i saw it laying in its case and hadnt shot it in about 8 years. Its an old gun (a good 40 years old?? was my grandfathers) and have some pretty fond memories of blowing some squirrels and crows away when i was a kid, so why the hell not?

Anyways, i put some rounds through the .308 and made sure everything was good and sighted in. It seems the more i go shoot, the more critical i get of myself and often lose focus on actually shooting, but rather critiquing every aspect of my technique. Needless to say, its becoming more of a headache and burden (especially with my awful groupings). I grabbed the .22 and headed over to the plinking range which reaches out to 200 yds with all steel silhouette targets. Ive actually never done this before, and im not sure why.

Long story short, <span style="font-weight: bold">i had fun today</span>. I forget how getting back to basics like this is really a relief, and how shooting shouldnt be a headache, but more of a pleasure. Plus, with West Texas Winds and the drop of a .22 at 200 yds, it can be a little challenging.

Just a reminder to remember that shooting is still for fun, and that its too easy to get all caught up in achieving .25 MOA at 1000 yards or whatever.
Best thing to do is just shoot.

-Happy shooting

Re: Back to basics

I agree. I have as much shooting my 10/22 as anything, and it's cheap. There's nothing saying you can't work on rifle fundamentals AND have fun shooting a 22lr at the same time. Fundamentals are fundamentals.

The basics are the marksmanship fundamentals with any caliber. Frustration and relaxation of what we learn on teh range causes bad groups. Take a walk from the line, have a little fun plinking, then get back behind the rifle, and think through the steps of BRASSFRR.
Headaches also come from the high level of focus one uses while behind the rifle at range. This can manifest in either a slight headache, or a bit of fatigue a few minutes after you finish(it can hit up to about 20 minutes or so depending on the level of focus).
Try dividing the time behind the big rifle with a little fun on a .22 shooting clays tossed out onto the range...they bust up when ya hit them making it fun to shoot.

It really is an eye opener. Found myself wanting to go back again today for a bit.
Had a great time and plan on spending a lot more time on it relearning a few things