• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back up 22 for comps?

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Curious as to how many have a back up 22 for when you go to shoot competitively?

I have a B14R. Just got another one, set up just like the first one.

Just one - sure I could borrow a buddy's at the match and with rimfire dope not so different as centerfire

I building a second one now but it’s main purpose is to take others. There’s a group of shooters who I’ve met that want to try competition and a second group who are looking at upgrading but want to try a higher end one first. So I figured it was a good excuse to build a second as my spare/backup

While I don’t carry a spare rifle to matches I do have a spare rifle at home in case something catastrophic happened and my primary was down for service.
as mentioned if at a match and have a problem, at least with the groups I shoot with, people will trip over each other offering use of their rifle At a match if you break something.

Reactions: Matt_3479
1 reason why I ask is yes, just in case, BUT more to get a few friends involved in the sport; they think 22s are for starting out and learning how to shoot]. AND the main reason they give me is i don't own a 22 any more. So here is your chance!

I’ve usually have my B14R in my truck at matches, not so much as a spare but more for an extra rig in case a buddy shows up under prepared for what they are about to do.

I usually have a spare in 22 and prs. Most the matches are 3 plus hr drive. So if something happens I'm still able to get a few rounds down range.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I don't take a spare. If you can't get through a comp with what you brung, might need to do better maintenance. I bring tools, just in case, only used a torque wrench once...and it was for one of my daughters' rifles.

ETA: they maintain their own guns, but an action screw loosened up in the middle of a match. Little things like that can happen.

Last edited:
I shoot ARA Factory class. I shoot a CZ so I don’t really need a back up, but I take one anyway. It’s more about the ammo. If my primary setup and it’s preferred Ammo aren’t shooting It’s legal to switch rifles. I’ll switch Ammo which is paired with a different rifle.

My second rig is a 457 MTR in original walnut but with trick barrel and trigger. When taking family member or inexperienced shooters out, it's fun to let them shoot the big rig but try to beat them with the CZ. Wife whipped me pretty handily the other day, despite me slipping cheaper ammo in on her. She wants to go again...