• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Backpack Rig for 100% IPSC steel.

salmonaxe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2007
Lynnwood, WA
Got a Sweedish LK35 frame from a buddy of mine. Rigged it up with shit I had laying around. Seems pretty stable. Someday I'll get my other buddy who sews gear to make some proper straps for it.

Re: Backpack Rig for 100% IPSC steel.

Looks like some nice body armor. Good protection from those dirty bastards that'll shoot ya in the back.

Haha. It's just for hauling the steel through rough terrain. You know to get it to the target location. Not all of us have the benefit of flat open land easily accessible via ATV or SUV.

Its for shooting movers, right?
laugh.gif

Don't tell the People's Liberation Army...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its for shooting movers, right?</div></div>

My first thought as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its for shooting movers, right?</div></div>

My first thought as well.</div></div>

Same here. Great minds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha. It's just for hauling the steel through rough terrain. You know to get it to the target location. Not all of us have the benefit of flat open land easily accessible via ATV or SUV. </div></div>

Amen to that... lol

This is actually a pretty cool idea, and good for me since I've been using a backpack and slaves to transport my steel, as I unfortunately have to pack mine all the way out to where I want to shoot it and then back afterwards. Thanks for the idea.

salmonaxe you really need to get some conveyor belt or fire hose though lol...

Someday I'll see about bugging the local fire station for some old hose. But right now the Polypropylene rope has held up. Actually it holds up better than most people would expect.

Oh yeah, originally the idea came from my buddy (Kombar). I just figured I'd take pics of what I came up with.

Very very cool idea indeed. I'm going to try something like that. I bet something like this would do very well in sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes me tired just looking at it.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Paul </div></div>

Exactly my thoughts. I save my workouts for the gym.

They make some very sturdy caddies for golf bags these days. My father's folds up and has some serious looking off road wheels on it. Maybe one of those carts they make to pull deer out of the field. Could stack a few more on that way.

Anything with wheels won't work where I go. There are slash piles and tank traps everywhere.

Also, isn't the whole point of working out is to have enough strength and stamina to do this kind of stuff?
laugh.gif

If you take that to a gun club make sure you walk out with the orange side facing the line. Some old ass skeet shooting bastard who pulls his 30-30 out once a year is likely to shoot in the foot and not even realize it till you get back to the 50 yard line. Nice idea though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">salmonaxe you really need to get some conveyor belt or fire hose though lol... </div></div>

You know what is a hell of a lot more accessible and what I use is old seat belt straps. Just go to your local junk yard and spend $10. I got enough to 10-12 targets which have been up for 2 years now with no issues. They take multiple bullet impacts and fragging off the steel like a champ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything with wheels won't work where I go. There are slash piles and tank traps everywhere.

Also, isn't the whole point of working out is to have enough strength and stamina to do this kind of stuff?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Hauling a big heavy piece of steel on your back, on uneven ground, is a recipe for back injury. How much does it weigh?

It weighs 50lbs. It's on a rigid backpack frame and has a belly band (Waist belt). My Marine buddy said he would haul way more than that in his pack. A little over a year ago I used to weigh 45lbs more than I currently do and I'd haul about 30lbs of gear over similar terrain. And that was a non-rigid HSRC that doesn't really have a proper belly band.

I hauled this same plate in my arms, down hill about 700yds through over 10 tank traps and about 100 yrds of slashpiles. Then I hauled it back up that same hill. It wasn't fun, but I didn't injure myself because I was careful and took my time. My buddy Kombar has hauled this same size steel through the same area on a similar backpack rig. This will allow me to have my arms free, weight on my hips and better visibility.

This is the price we have to pay in order to shoot "long range" where I live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It weighs 50lbs. It's on a rigid backpack frame and has a belly band (Waist belt). My Marine buddy said he would haul way more than that in his pack. A little over a year ago I used to weigh 45lbs more than I currently do and I'd haul about 30lbs of gear over similar terrain. And that was a non-rigid HSRC that doesn't really have a proper belly band.

I hauled this same plate in my arms, down hill about 700yds through over 10 tank traps and about 100 yrds of slashpiles. Then I hauled it back up that same hill. It wasn't fun, but I didn't injure myself because I was careful and took my time. My buddy Kombar has hauled this same size steel through the same area on a similar backpack rig. This will allow me to have my arms free, weight on my hips and better visibility.

This is the price we have to pay in order to shoot "long range" where I live. </div></div>

Ha! I thought you were joking about the tank traps and whatnot. Well your new setup is probably a world better than carrying it in your arms. That really probably made your back want to roll forward. At least with the pack you can keep your back upright.

I have military friends who carried heavy loads like your friend and some are fine, some have bad back problems. Bearing a load like that for long periods doesn't build muscle in any anaerobic sense. It does compress discs/vertebrae.

My intention is not to be critical of what you are doing. Just trying to prevent you from having to go through what I have gone through with back problems. Cheers pack mule
wink.gif

Looks like about the most comfortable way to manpack that target.

I sorta do the opposite. I'll set up the steel near where I can drive, then hump out with rifle/ammo/kit.

Yep, ya do what you gotta do. I've hiked my rifle and targets in a mile or so to get to a good shooting spot in the past. I prefer to have all my gear near the car, because that way I can play with more shit. I admit, it was fun trying to slim down my kit as much as possible so I could haul it all around with me.

It's funny, my marine buddy tried my pack out and said it was about the same as his patrol pack. He then insisted on hiking it in to our other spot. He said it was "no biggie".
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its for shooting movers, right?
laugh.gif

Don't tell the People's Liberation Army...
grin.gif
</div></div>
LOL I was just thinking the same thing I could see my friend running around with it on his back... haha(JK of course)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like some nice body armor. Good protection from those dirty bastards that'll shoot ya in the back. </div></div>
LoL

You make my day haha

Great idea tho