• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Backpack Suggestions

gonzaga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Raton NM
I have been thinking of getting a new backpack, mine has ran its course and is beat to shit. I am thinking of getting an Eberlestock Backpack, Gunslinger II has been suggested to me by a friend.

Re: Backpack Suggestions

Here's what I use. Not a military looking or style pack but if your actually using it for backpacking it is awsome. They make a 85 liter as well. Very comfortable pack as all the weight is on your hips and not on your shoulders. I like the fit and comfort of the heat formed belt too. Although when by myself I pack just a tad over 40 lbs. for 5 day trek on PCT, I've had as much as 65 lbs. of weight in it when I take the grandkids to the wilderness and easly could carry more with it.

http://www.rei.com/product/795622/osprey-aether-70-pack

I have backpacked for 35 years and own/have owned maybe 30some packs so your ? is like what gun should I get

so
your style, light, luxury, in between
potential use/uses
length of trip(days without resuppy)
distance walked
time of year
area traveled
on or off trail
your size
budget
special items carried

I just traded up to a GS2 a few months ago. Hunting season in 2 1/2 weeks. I think I'm going to like ti a lot. Quality is second to none.

gunslinger 2 -> hunting+climbing gear, without supplies, 3 days, 2000+m above sea, including snow fields etc. got everything in that is required.

ps: dry earth is the colour to go for.

IMHO,
eberlestock is the way to go, i have a G4 operator, and it will hold everything in need + more with the molle webbing for attachments.

Contact Ceylon on here and he will hook you up with great customer service and pricing on any Eberelstock you want. +1 for the GS2!

I have been through a pile of packs and have finally decided to upgrade this year as well. I just got the Eberlestock Bluewidow for my new mountain pack.

I read a pile of reviews and tried to put hands on everything I could find. I liked it because it is hugely expandable, which is great for day hunts up to five days .

The Blue Widow will likely be my next pack. It's between that and the Mystery Ranch Longbow, but there are more things I like about the the Blue Widow such as the butt bucket add on for a bow/rifle, the expandable mesh meat/gear pocket, and the ability to zip on a spike duffel. Like previously mentioned, it's good for day trips up to 3-5 day hunts.

Thanks for the replies guys. Thats some of the info that I was looking for.

Cinch, thanks for the Ceylo hookup, I will give him a holler.

Three trees, thanks for the color advice. I live at 6600', and hunt from 8500-10000'.

I usually pack up to 45 lbs or more. I go wherever I need to go, trail or off, it really don't matter much. I have, and will again, pack in for 3 days.

As far as size? I am 5'8", and about 195. How long are those backs, is it gonna be draggin the ground?

To my knowledge, I don't know of any dealers around here. I live in BFE.

I'm the same size as you, & I have no problems with the GS2 draging, or hitting the back of my legs. Even when I kneel down to look at sign. Get a hold of Ceylon. He'll hook you up. Great guy to deal with. deltaoutdoorsman.com, give him a call. There's a reason we all recomend him.

I have a gunslinger 2 and a mystery ranch nice 6500, I'm thinking of getting rid of the gunslinger 2 to buy a smaller mystery ranch pack to use with the nice frame. Mystery ranch is top notch. Eberlestock makes good packs to.

Let me know how much you want for it, I can send you a pm if you want.

eberlestock has a lot of nice packs, i was luck that the local gun shop had 3-4 of the ones that hold rifles, the gunrunner is very cool but did fit my needs, went with the Gunslinger 2 as it would hold all the stuff for a match and also fit my DPMS 308 & big scope. Some of the other backs wouldn't fit my fat rifle. This is a good chunk of dough for a pack - i would try some out to make sure it is going to work for your needs.

I have had a number of Eberlestock packs and have owned the Mystery Ranch NICE framed pack. I currently own the Kuiu Icon 6000 and am very happy with it. It is very lightweight and extremely comfortable. It would be worth considering.

I stand behind my purchases of the Eberlestock. I have three now and they have served me well in theatre and at home. The quality of stiching and material and the overall layout of the bags make them really easy to load/unload and find what you need in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact Ceylon on here and he will hook you up with great customer service and pricing on any Eberelstock you want. +1 for the GS2! </div></div>
+ about a million on Ceylon...

I've got the Skycrane. Used it over the weekend. I really, really, really like it. Pulled the Little Brother out of it for a day hike, and it was also fantastic. I'm about 5'9", and it fits me very, very well. I found a youtube video about fitting up the Eberlestock ruck too, and I used that to make a few adjustments to my pack. To say that I'm thrilled with the Eberlestock is an understatement. Similarly, Ceylon really helped with some ideas, his prices were also outstanding with great service. I'll be buying additional bits from him in the future.

i have a GS2 that i got from ceylon. the quality is top notch i would have no problems reccommending an eberlestock product.ceylon is a straight up guy to deal with, drop him a pm you wont be dissapointed

I have three eberlestock packs. I love them all and they all have there own uses.

I have the lo-drag
I have the GS 1
and I have the G4 operator

If I were you I would go lo drag with a couple attachments on the molle or the GS 1/2. Either or. I think with your frame the G4 will be a little overpowering or too big for you.

I am 6'3 and I feel its big for me. sometimes I think to myself "what the frick am I doing??? This is way too big for anything!!!"

I have been leaning towards the GS 2, unfortunately I live 200 miles from the nearest dealer. I am not jumping in the deep end with both feet, I am willing to wait and put hands on and ask questions.

The GS2 is a good pack, but if you pack in camps or may need to bring meat out a good ways and only want one pack to do it all I'd look at the Dragonfly or Just One. I have a Dragonfly and have really come to appreciate the versitality. For hands-free hunting a short distance from camp, I take off the fanny pack on top, put in my hydration bladder, and use that. For day hunts, the whole thing folds up pretty compact on your back. For bringing game back in, the pockets zip apart and reveal the huge central hauling compartment.

I've packed in a 4-day camp with this pack. This year I brought out 90lbs of meat plus the rack from my elk, and it wasn't full yet!

Alot of good info guys, thanks. I am gonna have to do some homework that's for sure.