• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backpack with weatherproof rifle scabbard recommendations

CDNsldr

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction of a high quality pack with rifle storage.

My buddy has an Eberlestock GS2 with the integrated scabbard, however the biggest issue is the design of the top of the scabbard just funnels dirt/snow/rain and other crap down into the scabbard.

I will be using the pack in pretty crappy conditions, bushwhacking through dense brush, riding to a shooting spot on atvs/sleds, with lots of snow and ice/rain coming down and would like a scabbard that actually seals better than Eberlestocks sock.

If Eberlestock would add a waterproof zipper to their removable buttstock “sock” where it connects to the main pack it would be good to go! Their current system of the fabric simply tucking into the inside of the scabbard (thus creating a funnel affect) and attaching with clips doesn’t offer that kind of protection I’m looking for.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Last edited:
My experience with eberlestock has been much different. I’ve trapped through all kinds of sludge muck water and snow and rarely get anything in the scabbard. Phantoms, operators, gunslingers and others. Now i will say that the best option is to run a folder so that you dont need the top cover and you can put the rain cover over the whole pack in wet conditions.

Reactions: Nik H and CDNsldr
From my experience a pack like the Eberlestock makes riding almost anything very miserable when using the built in scabbard.
A scabbard that you can attach to your ATV, etc is much better imho

From my experience a pack like the Eberlestock makes riding almost anything very miserable when using the built in scabbard.
A scabbard that you can attach to your ATV, etc is much better imho
My use will consist of riding as far to the shooting location followed by scrambling up steep rocks/trail. If it’s a longer ride, I’d probably strap the pack to the sled/atv.

I also ride standing up 90% of the time.

My use will consist of riding as far to the shooting location followed by scrambling up steep rocks/trail. If it’s a longer ride, I’d probably strap the pack to the sled/atv.

I also ride standing up 90% of the time.
The drag bag can be converted into a backpack.

What I use riding a dirt bike or mountain bike with a rifle and pack is Kifaru reckoning. I put the rifle in a light cover and strap it to the pack at an angle so it doesn’t interfere with my riding. Any other quality pack like EXO or MR would work equally well I’m sure

I’ve tried to like Eberlestock several times… but it just doesn’t work. A big chunky rifle between you and the pack seems like a good idea but when you get out moving around and using it, it’s pretty clunky and difficult.

A folding stock is a game changer for what you’re doing. Get a Kifaru with a Grab-It or a Sherman Pocket that will cover most of the important stuff, and carry your rifle on the outside of the pack, barrel up.

I personally use a Kifaru Shape Charge with a Grab-it. It’s awesome.

Reactions: CDNsldr