• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backpacking anyone?

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I have recently got into backpacking/hiking. Love it, especially the part of watching my dog run around and have a blast(German Shorthair Pointer) while taking pictures. Recently bought quite a few items for an upcoming trip in SD. Will be spending 2 nights in mid March. Bought myself a military sleeping system, hoping it works plenty well for me. Bringing my dog also.

My main question I guess, would there be any pointers before I head out that might save me some hassle/problems.

Re: Backpacking anyone?

Thats a pretty broad question. As far as eating supplies only take a bowl and a spoon or a spark if you want and try to find them in Lexan so they are light. Can go with a metal all purpose eating tool too.

Proper backpack fit will relieve a lot of strain you could put on yourself. If you have not spent much time with your backpack on throw a good 40 or 50 lbs in there and walk around the neighborhood to check the fit of your backpack. Good boots and packing light will save you a lot of hassle once you get out on the trail.

Instead of packing lots of water in bring iodine pills or a filter pump and get water once you set up camp. Water is about the heaviest thing you carry in your pack so the less you have to carry in the better.

Depends on how hardcore you want to go. I have gone Ultralight, where I was cutting tags off stuff and shaving down weight whenever I could. I have done the weekend warrior where a case of beer has found its way into the pack, or didn't even wear shoes when I was tramping around NZ on trails as they were super muddy.
I have hauled loads of 80lbs over Glaciers in Alaska, as we had ropes, ice axes, crampons, plus a shit ton of food as we were burning I don't know how many calories.

Really depends on what you want to make of it, what your goals are for mileage, elevation gain, what you want to pack depends on how comfortable you want to be and how heavy a load you want. My lists are much different for backcountry AK, then front country Wyoming, to New Zealand.

Find a Pack that FITS. And make sure you break in your hiking boots BEFORE you go hiking or backpacking, test gear out before hand, so you are not trying to figure out how to cook your dinner in the dark on an untested stove. Sleep a few nights in your tent outside to see how it does in the rain. Many times seems have to be resealed, or you might find you don't have enough room. Learn about Leave No Trace Camping and practice it.

Good Luck.

I make a spreadsheet on every outing and save it. It includes trek, time, topo, environmentals and load-out separated into basic categories;
Food/Water
Food prep/Water Prep
Bedding/Shelter/Clothes
Gear

I’m a gear whore so every time I usually have stuff I really did not need to pack. Scan the spreadsheet and eliminate common redundancy in lights, knives, food prep and serving, etc. I usually have more food than required. I can get 2-days on one 2-serving Mountain House with a few hi energy snacks. There is a ton of lightweight, non-frozen, hiking application foods available at a grocery store without expensive freeze-dried meals (although more limited if you’re watching your sodium intake):
Tuna-salad envelopes (awesome), microwave rice bags, pasta kits with sauce (throw out the main bowl packaging), Hormel stew or meat’n potatoes grossness in plastic, good crackers, chunk of hard waxed cheese, ETC. Some ideas outside of candy bars, jerky, and trail mix/nuts.

A quality, lightweight cook stove is worth the investment. I have snow peak gear but there are others that are good like MSR. I’m not into $400 backpacking tents where I have got along fine through the years with inexpensive pup tents in the 6lb range. Maintenance and waterproofing coatings go along way.
Other key items off the top of my head are; quality socks, poly under garments, proven boots, baby wipes, a decent first-aid kit, athletic and half-roll duct tape, paracord, a bear bag, a nylon pants belt capable of clasping at any diameter whether or not your into belts, a few zip-lock bags for food preservation/carry, a small plastic spade shovel, navigation assistance, swiss-army huntsman, long run LED headlamp like a Petzl, water purifier as stated like a Katadyn.

Although that sleeping bag is nice, it’s also heavy and bulky. A ECW bag fills my entire main compartment on one of larger backpacks. In consideration of sleeping bags, headwear and clothing already worn/available does allot to retain heat. Without going into a huge sleeping bag debate; the chosen sleeping bag should be able to cover your head without your feet tight on the bottom.

It really depends on the terrain and how deep you plan on venturing. SD terrain can be pretty varied (Badlands to forested areas).

Wherever you go, I'd make sure you let someone know where you're going to be just in case...

Medical supplies/ first aid.

Thermal blanket and maybe a road flare or two. Compass....

+1 on a Petzl headlamp with a backup.

www.backpackinglight.com

Lots of good info.

Don't take it unless you really "need" it. Definately leave a detailed map of your trip with someone you trust. If something happens at least they will know where to go looking for you. Enjoy the outdoors!

Dave

Also, don't forge to take a camera and some binos if you are in a good area. There is plenty to see once you stop and take a break for 15 minutes and just observe.

Just a couple items that made my hunting trips more comfortable:

1. Toilet paper
2. Therma-Rest sleeping mat
3. Water purifier (Katadyn or similar)
4. Jetboil Stove

Those are all great pieces of gear. Very light, and very small items to pack. Dont take much room at all.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up footwear yet-

First and foremost, you need good boots, appropriate for the weight you're going to carry and broken in before the trail, with the socks/sock system you're going to wear.

Boot brands are a long religious topic, there are lots out there and what works for me might not for you. I prefer US made, because I've just found they're plain better and worth the cost. Socks, I like polypro liners and Smartwool.

Also, carry moleskin or preferably a Second Skin blister care kit, especially first time out with those boots.

Jetboil is getting great press, but I like multifuel stoves like the MSR Dragonfly.

Biodegradeable (flushable) baby wipes, like heaven on earth, especially the longer you are out.

Sock liners and good thick hiking socks in conjunction with great boots make the walk easy too.

What part of South Dakota? Like ND, in March you can have 70 degrees in the day time, wake up at night with a foot or more of wet snow covering your tent.

I'm just across the line (Black Hills), we get most of our snow in the sping.

Army sleeping bags are way too heavy for me. I'm big on going lite. I try to keep my ruke about 30-35 lbs.

Learn to make a fire with wet wood. No matter how wet the log is on the outside, unless its rotten its dry on the inside. Split it and get your kindling from the inside of the log.

Keep your tent small. Besides being lighter, its easier to keep warm (it does get cold here at night in March). A candle will take the chill off.

Lots of socks, dry socks are worth their weight in gold.

I've done winter camping for years, its not only easy to do, its a lot of fun.

I have my backpack loaded to 50lbs when I go on my extended walks/hikes. My best advice is invest in good socks! I learned that the hard way.

Lighter the better. Buy the best possible backpack you can afford, as well as the best Boots/socks you can afford. Take a bunch of trips (even small ones) to test your gear. I've returned so many things to REI after testing gear out on a trip and realizing it wouldn't work for me. Gotta love their 100% return policy.

Backpack I use: Mystery Ranch (may pick up a Kifaru someday).
Sleeping Bag: Marmot Pinnacle (want a Kifaru, but a lot of money for something I can't get inside first to try out)
Boots: Lowa Tibets
Socks: Smartwool Medium w/ Liners

if you want the advice of folks that have hiked thousands of miles, and some 10s of thousands go here

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

my .02 for the boots advice, see what folks are wearing when they are finishing a 2000 mile hike -- less than 1 in 50 will be wearing boots, most will be in hiking shoes or running shoes

Backpacked extensively when younger, sierras, cascades, rainer, panama, mideast, eastern europe.
While it sounds like you are at the infant stages, i warn you, it can get addicting.
I will share with you what I have learned on my walkabouts.

Spend the money on good gear - when there is no car, no store, and your tent leaks in a huge downpour, you dont give a shit about the extra money you saved on your tent.
And boots, dont skimp on boots.

Bring basic survival gear - lighters, waterproof matches, good knife, multitool, foot powder, clean sock, scarf, first aid kit with bee sting kit, aspirin, or stronger, good book.
Dont waste your money on shit that is unproven or is cheap, you will live to regret it.

Topo map and compass, dont rely on GPS all the time.
Good camera, trust me you will see shit most people only watch on a movie screen.

hope that helps a bit, good luck and be sure to tell someone not on the trip were you are going.