• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Backyard coyotes

Tunanut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Lake Norman
I though I saw one right at dusk a week ago slippin between the swingset and trampoline. I put a trailcam in the backyard and got these guys the other night. Good looking dogs, but they gotta die. Need some recommendations on baiting in the neighborhood.

CRIM0005.jpg

What it looks like in the daytime.

CRIM0007.jpg

Re: Backyard coyotes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice. good ol 22. that wont be very loud. haha. </div></div>

They are in easy bow range, but I'll have to do some nightime practice before I'm ready to set up for them. For now I just want to get them use to some easy meals and pattern them. They're coming through between 8:30pm and midnight now.

whistle.gif
Is PETA watching???
wink.gif

You could buy a goat, kill it, gut it and hang it up about 3-4 foot off the ground using cable which is parralel to the ground and set large trebble hooks in the meat using strong steel leaders which are attached to the cable.... When you hang it just drape the carcass over the cable, the spinal cord should be right next to the cable. I would make sure the top of the carcass was attached firmly to the cable to keep it from flipping over once the coyote hangs with his weight trying to rip the meat or trying to get unhooked.

I'm sure that within a few days you will have a few coyotes dead and hanging and 20 news crews outside your house as well as a naked PETA girl making a statement.
grin.gif

No I have never done this but I was told this by a farmer who was dead set on getting rid of coyotes.....It worked. Problem solved...
It's just not exactly entertaining for subdivisions filled with liberals with access to liberal media.
....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You could buy a goat, kill it and hang it up about 3 foot off the ground using cable in parralel to the ground and set large trebble hooks in the meat using strong steel leaders which are attached to the cable....
</div></div>

This is a very interesting Idea. . . . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
whistle.gif
Is PETA watching???
wink.gif

You could buy a goat, kill it, gut it and hang it up about 3-4 foot off the ground using cable which is parralel to the ground and set large trebble hooks in the meat using strong steel leaders which are attached to the cable.... When you hang it just drape the carcass over the cable, the spinal cord should be right next to the cable. I would make sure the top of the carcass was attached firmly to the cable to keep it from flipping over once the coyote hangs with his weight trying to rip the meat or trying to get unhooked.

I'm sure that within a few days you will have a few coyotes dead and hanging and 20 news crews outside your house as well as a naked PETA girl making a statement.
grin.gif

No I have never done this but I was told this by a farmer who was dead set on getting rid of coyotes.....It worked. Problem solved...
It's just not exactly entertaining for subdivisions filled with liberals with access to liberal media.
....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Working with that idea, I could take down a swing and hang a pig or goat, set up the cams and wait for the flashes. I'll skip the hooks, but have some rage 2blades I'll introduce them to. I've never got a coyote with my bow, this could be my best opportunity. Does it count if you shoot them in your backyard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offroadr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hell you take video and pics of nakey peta chick and ill send you a goat.</div></div>
When they protest wearing fur then they can go nearly all buff and paint their privates and can be seen in downtown city centers.
I saw a local PD officer that was stationed right next to her as she was poised by her PETA sign in Lexington KY.downtown a few years back. The PD officer was using one of those two wheeled standup carts that balance themselves....
Must have been a boring job watching painted bush all day...
laugh.gif

You can keep your goat (I have plenty) me and my wife have about 18 show goats (Mostly Boer and boer cross)and are about to have 18 new baby goats born within the next month.
We raise meat goats for breeding / competition. People like us are contributing to the better quality lines of meat goats that will help the species stay strong and grow healthy for future generations.
...SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does it count if you shoot them in your backyard?</div></div>
That's the best kind in my book.... Convenient and fun.
If I could fish for smallmouth bass and trout in a 3 foot constantly running stream in my back yard as well as hunt deer, elk, turkey, rabbit,duck,quail,pheasant......I would never leave home.
.....SmokeRolls

Cat food or dog food outta occupy them long enough for a shot.

Depending on how "residential" it is, id stay away from dead critters laying in your backyard for coyote bait.

If it were my backyard, I would place a nice stinky meat bait underneath the "house" portion of the swingset. Then I would block off some of the openings, and set leghold traps at the rest. I would prefer to use snares, but seeing as you have neighbors it may not be as wise idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice. good ol 22. that wont be very loud. haha. </div></div>

They are in easy bow range, but I'll have to do some nightime practice before I'm ready to set up for them. For now I just want to get them use to some easy meals and pattern them. They're coming through between 8:30pm and midnight now. </div></div>

i was going to say use the bow too but its hard to see the sites at night ha. maybe if you have one of those lights for the pins!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice. good ol 22. that wont be very loud. haha. </div></div>

They are in easy bow range, but I'll have to do some nightime practice before I'm ready to set up for them. For now I just want to get them use to some easy meals and pattern them. They're coming through between 8:30pm and midnight now. </div></div>

i was going to say use the bow too but its hard to see the sites at night ha. maybe if you have one of those lights for the pins! </div></div>

Yes I do, but I'll have to put my largest peep in my string. It's very residential so snares and legholds are out. Rage 2 blades are in!

can you trap legally in NC. a dirt hole set would take care of them. get yourself some leghold traps, and some rebar stakes. or just buy a live trap and camoflauge it

they make silent PCP air rifles that are perfect for urban
coyotes--no NFA stuff for a silenced one either--have killed
very tough wild boars with a big-bore PCP in TX and lots of
urban yotes in the burbs--ck 'em out

Carbon arrow to the ear hole. You will probably only get one and you may never see the other one again or least not for awhile.

I'm hoping to make some father son time out of this and double team them from the deck. Got the boy practicing on a 3d pig and bear about where the coyotes are coming through. My camera is on the tree to the right just on the other side of the creek. I've got a call from a leo buddy on a road killed deer and will get it hung from the swingset sans hooks. Should be fun.

DSC_0196.jpg

That looks like a pretty good poke from the deck. Whats the range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks like a pretty good poke from the deck. Whats the range? </div></div>

25 yrds to the pig, 35 to the bear, 45 to thr 1st deer. There's also a 50 and 60 yrd deer if you look closely.

Lake Norman huh? I'm like 1/2 hour above you. What time do you wanna hunt? lol

Yeah, that deer should work fine, but let me know if you get em'.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The treble hook trick works. Try chicken for bait.</div></div>
Or you could quarter the deer and hang just one quarter, the neighbors would not notice a leg hanging, a full sized deer hanging for a while might garner some attention. You could freeze the rest for a later coyote hunt. You also could go to a butcher and get some guts or scraps and hang in a plastic back for a bloody drip, just poke a few small holes.... That should give you a good sent attractant.
....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">soooo what ever happened to those dogs?? </div></div>
Since you asked.

I got a road kill last week. Had them coming in, but they are wiley creatures. Crack a window or open a door and they take off. Had some neighbors calling about the deer and will probably get a letter from my HOA telling me I can't hang deer from my swingset, but I'll get these guys sooner or later.
P1310089.jpg

MDGC0004.jpg

MDGC0031-2.jpg

MDGC0035.jpg

even found out I got deer coming through too.
MDGC0010.jpg

so where can we sign up for a lease in your backyard?!
Thats crazy! good luck getting those 'yotes. they can be pretty crafty

Tuna...I commend the effort, and applaud you recruiting the son.

Time to get you some http://www.feederlights.com/ for the back porch...and you guys set up at night to bring them in. Maybe grab some steaks and hang them for a little lure / treat.

Good luck, stay safe!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice. good ol 22. that wont be very loud. haha. </div></div>
with a can!!!

Warbex mixed in with grease, meat, whatever will kill em, and anything else that happens to eat it. I doubt more than a couple people on here know what Im talking about though.

That is crazy. Nice pics.You can go hunting and not even have to leave home.

I need to get a camera and check my back yard, here them all the time and that would be fun to sit on the back porch and do some sniping.

no end to the story?

Great pics. Great bow range. Nice father son activity. Like seeing the deer by the deer for bait. Do look forward to seeing how this ends up ... but I think we all know the end of that story. Have coyotes eating my cats who eat the mice here on my farm as long as my cats do not get too tame they seem to last a while ... as soon as they hang around for people to feed them they are gone. Guess don't have to worry about lazy cats here!

To hit a coyote with lead always makes my day - they seem to like 00 buck here out of my shotgun when get too close to the house.

I use (H-PLUS liquid dog food palatility enhancer (liverflavor)2 tablespoons ,1 can of dollar store CHEEP tuna and 1 egg. ITS YOTIE CRACK
smile.gif
I mix in the garage & my bulldogs try to get to it the next 2-3days its a miracle mix, got turned on to about 4yrs ago & have not used anything else since.

Where do you get the dog food enhancer SSGN8? Tried Googling it but didn't come up with anything.

Back on topic. Are these yotes still alive?

I have a friend that works at a doogfood plant he sneaks me 1qt bottle a couple times a year (a little goes a long way)
pm me & ill send you some.

If you prefer something less 'passive,' a suppressed Ruger 10/22 shooting 60-gr subsonic Aguila ammunition through a 1:9 Tactical Innovations barrel works well and is stealthy. Remove the barrel band, attach a short Weaver rail underneath the stock and mount a Streamlight TLR-2. Covering the Streamlight's white light with a red or amber lens turns it into a combination kill light and aiming aid.

rnightrig.jpg

The OE wooden stock has the same flat spot that's perfect for attaching the Weaver rail.

This is a <span style="text-decoration: underline">slow</span> bullet (~915 fps) so it has a lot of arc, which makes your range dope critical. Both my 4x scope and my Streamlight laser are zeroed at 25 yards so I adjust POA according to whether the red dot appears above or below the crosshairs.

A dog's heart is well forward in its chest, protected from the sides by its shoulder and upper leg bones. This round can penetrate 18" in ballistic gelatin but is too little bullet (~120 fpe) to guarantee shoulder or even breastbone penetration so I wait for a broadside shot and aim to penetrate both lungs. I do get crawl-offs but puncturing both lungs guarantees a dead dog. The carcasses I've recovered show the 60-gr Aguila is well up to ending the coyote, even if it doesn't anchor them.

+1 on Mr Dobbs

Only difference for me is an EA Brown Co 1in9 bbl with a Gemtech OutbackII and a lightforce stryker 170. It might look like a train is coming through the backyard, but by God i can see 'em!

The 40grn CCI for the fox sized critters and 60grn for yotes.

Yassir, you right there....they're programmed to get gone on first noise. So you gotta leave a window cracked on nights that you're expecting visitors.

I've got a pond full of ducks in the backyard, so we do a lot of shooting from the kitchen door
grin.gif

Good luck with them,
Breeze

chemlight/glowstick (the tiny 1" ones) taped to the fiberoptic bow sight turns it into a night sight