• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad 100yd groups but excellent down range performance.

FN-Whitney

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
Ok I know this is some type of mental error and probably just sloppy fundamentals but over the last year I have started shooting PRS style matches and one of my big weaknesses was speed, I was slow on my shots. I have been working on that and I have improved greatly but I also have noticed my 100yd groups size is suffering. I was shooting prone .3 best to .5 average groups, but now I still get .3 on occasion but my average is .8. My down range accuracy has improved as well as my speed to break the shot and to transition so I pretty sure it is the nut behind the rifle. Any drills you guys would suggest to work on this or just don't worry about it and keep shooting.

just practice pure fundamentals

one problem could be the barrel is giving up, what cal.

went to the range on sunday afternoon
was shooting like shit, tried slowing down. breathing. went from prone to bench shooting
packed up early
just wasnt on my game

308 around 2500 rounds, average velocity is 2600 shooting 185 Berger's so the barrel should still be good, probably just me.

Has your form changed as your speed has improved? Not uncommon in any sport to see a temporary drop in performance as a change in form is taking place.

But, I would look to where the performance counts in this game. I've only ever taken 1 shot for record at a 100 yard target in a PRS style competition- and it was a bonus stage...

Reactions: FN-Whitney
Give the barrel a really good cleaning, foul it, then try the same distances again.

Concentrate on form and technique, and let the group sizes fall where they may.

Being conscious of groups while shooting can definitely put you off your game.

Just set up, aim, squeeze, reload, repeat. Ignore impacts, concentrate on sight pictures.

Scoring comes later.

Greg

Group shooting outside load development and to occasionally check barrel consistency on a hot caliber is silly.

Been competing for 8yrs now never saw a stage where you shoot a group for score. We don't shoot benchrest or F Class, .3" difference in your group is well within the 'noise' of ranging error, wind speed, compromised position, etc.

I wouldn't sweat it. If you can put up 5 little 1" paster targets at 100" and put a round on each one, you're where you need to be.

Some bullets don't "settle down" until a couple hundred yards down range.

I KID I KID!

We don't shoot benchrest or F Class

Nobody who shoots F class gives a shit about group size either outside of load testing. Goes to show how much you apparently know about it.