• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad 6BR die?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Bought a Redding type-s bushing die off a dude here but can't remember his name now.

Started sizing with it today and noticed scratches in the case.
    20220530_125201.jpg

Looked inside die and can see plenty of lines causing the scratches!

20220530_125136.jpg

Is this thing still OK to use?

The scratches in the brass are not deep, but I can feel them with my finger nail. I have a shit ton of brass to size! Couldn't find a die online so shopped here. I guess I got, got! 🤬

That looks like brass that has galled to the wall of the die. It needs to be polished out. You can send it into Redding who can do it for you.

I had it happen to a die, sent it to a member here who cleaned it out for me. Can't remember who it was.

I'm sure someone here will advise how to do it with the proper grit compounds. If you're good at this, you can do it yourself.

Yes, whoever sold that to you screwed you, but the die is salvageable.

You do need to be sure that it is brass streaks in the die and not scratches into the die steel.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
    Yes, whoever sold that to you screwed you, but the die is salvageable.
    Could have easily been galled on the first piece this new owner sized....Just presenting plausible explanations.

The best option is to send it to mfr for polishing. Also, a good idea to always "season" a die before use with sizing lube to ensure a dry spot doesn't let brass stick and gall the inner surface.

Last edited:
    I had a Forester die I had to polish. They said to use 400 or 600 grit. I used 600 grit on a bore mop in a drill, and polished it out in few minutes. I have a RCBS 264LBC small base die that left belts on cases until i polished. It took longer.