• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAD ASS Ambi safety

Platypus

Sergeant
Minuteman
BAD ASS

This is a fine time in which we live, innovations within the firearms industry and in particular the tacticool precision rifles and semi-auto AR platforms has been nothing short of incredible. Being one of those left handed shooters living in a righty world has been challenging and at times to deal with insensitive manufactures that do not realize us lefties have rights as well is just wrong. I would like to introduce an advancement in AR controls that has been long overdue. The B.A.D. A.S.S. ambidextrous safety selector by Battle Arms Development is here to answer our prayers. This high speed low drag piece of gear will most certainly grab the market share of the limited ambi controls out there. I got the safety selector about two weeks ago and unfortunately had to travel for the past couple weeks and was unable to get it installed until Thursday and put through its paces Friday, I did not want to be travelling with a set up I had not had a chance to run through the range.

First, fit and finish is top notch, the parts are cleanly machined and mate up perfectly with all the edges rounded to insure no wear and tear on your digits while operating the safety. The finish is beautiful and matches the finish on my rifle very nicely (fashion does matter). Attention to detail is obviously a priority at Battle Arms Dev. Inc. this is not a pot metal cast molded part that looks like it came out of the kids Play Dough AR parts maker kit. Little things do matter and rounded edges are complemented by the cut grooves that generate better purchase when operating the lever. A groove has been cut in the lever as well as the face of the selector which can easily be filled with paint to aid in being able to visualize that a weapon is indeed on safe or fire. BAD is thinking ahead and uses a Torx head screw to attach the levers to the safety barrel (not sure if that is what they are calling the piece inside the receiver but that is what I am calling it), this allows for better wrench engagement and less opportunity to strip the damn thing out. Yes I am still upset about having to drill out my stripped DPMS ambi safety bolt so it could be removed for the installation of the BAD ASS. The safety arrives with three levers, the safety “barrel” and a nicely fitting Torx wrench. The levers are of different sizes in length and height and can be installed on either side of the gun in any of nine different combinations. One is about the same size as the factory lever, the second is the same length as an original lever but at about half the height, while the third is about half the length of an original but maintains the same height as an original lever. All the levers are serrated in such a manner to insure a positive engagement with gloves on or off. Levers fit precisely on either side of the “barrel” and lock up tight without play in any direction. The fit in the lower receiver is beautiful with just enough gap between the inside of the lever and outside of the receiver body to insure smooth operation without a gap which could get caught on a piece of webbing and snap the lever off (yes I did this and that is a story for another time). Fit within the receiver hole was excellent with no wobble or binding. Installation was a drop in affair with the pistol grip removed (technical note: pay attention to not lose the safety spring and detent in the carpet as this will prolong the installation having to search for them) and the hammer cocked it went right in with the left side already installed to give me something to grab onto. I reinstalled the detent spring and grip and the lever functioned fine with no binding on the back of the trigger and it had a nice crisp feel to it with defined stops on safe and fire.

oacc90.jpg

vy4o6o.jpg

Once the right side was installed I began my dry fire drills which incorporate sweeping the safety on and off with each trigger pull. After about 10 evolutions of each of the nine lever combinations I went with the regular length and height on the right side and I went with the regular height but half the length on the left side so with the selector on “fire” it rides just on top of my left index finger. It should be noted that at no time did any of the levers become lose as I had not put Loctite on the screws at this point.
I tried all nine combinations at the range as well before I made my mind up to run what I have previously described, beauty of this system it allows for change rather easily. I can always change the configuration later if I find it is bothering my phalanges or slowing down my lighting fast performance. The reason for this configuration for me is that I turn the rifle on with my left thumb pushing down on the right side of the gun and turn it off with the top of my left index finger going back along the receiver on the left side of the gun. I shot 120 rounds of 5.56 with turning the gun on and off between each shot or controlled pair. The safety was not only comfortable to use it did not interfere with my grip like my original DPMS ambi safety has done for years. Being financially minded I transitioned to running my .22 conversion kit in the same gun and put another 600 rounds down range.

rscz8n.jpg

24zbxa9.jpg

2w5r1xk.jpg

10ih2l3.jpg

Damn those .22’s are fun and it certainly gave the safety a work out. I had not put any Loctite on the screws throughout this trial and they were still tight after the last round was fired. I have since Loctited the screws with blue 271 and ready for it to go to work this next week with me. I highly recommend this safety not just for left hand shooters but for all shooters. I am a believer that having ambidextrous controls on a fighting carbine is just good business sense. You never know when you may have to operate the rifle support side and strong side. Give Battle Arms Dev Inc. a call or shoot them an email if you should have any further questions or shoot me a PM or email if I can be of further assistance. I do believe Battle Arms Dev Inc. has gotten it right with this ambidextrous safety. Thank you for taking the time to read the review and I hope it has been informative.

Re: I can finally do it with both hands

Good to see that left hand is back in action. Sexy scar, by the way.

Thanks Doc, you medical guys are pretty handy at times and with two surgeries and some rehab the hand is almost 100% with not too much nerve damage.

The above ambi safety has seen 8 long days on the range and several thousand rounds of 5.56 and .22's with no issues. The feel and function of this are very nice and I did not realize how much I liked it until I went back to my other AR with the DPMS ambi on it and had a problem gettign my grip to feel right with the safety under my index finger.

I will be ordering two more for my .308 and other AR.

I installed an Ambi Safety about 4 years ago on one of my AR's,flipped the lever from safe to fire a couple of times and took it right back off.Could not stand having the lever under my index finger.This looks like a real solution and a well made one at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I installed an Ambi Safety about 4 years ago on one of my AR's,flipped the lever from safe to fire a couple of times and took it right back off.Could not stand having the lever under my index finger.This looks like a real solution and a well made one at that. </div></div>

You would want to look into the Colt Safety that is coming on thier new rifles. you can install it on the left or right side. No crap hanging off the other side you dont really need if your a lefty.

"You would want to look into the Colt Safety that is coming on thier new rifles. you can install it on the left or right side. No crap hanging off the other side you dont really need if your a lefty."

Just my personal belief that safeties and mag releases need to be ambidextrious on battle rifles. Having the ability to run controls either hand eliminates the fumbling about when forced to transition hands due to obstacles, or injuries. Having to run RH guns for years in the Marine Corps I adapted pretty well but now that I can have it my way it sure makes it nice. The huge advantage of this set up is that it does allow you to set it up so you do not have "crap" in your way and your grip is not being changed. Just got an email from them and they are going to be introducing two more lever designs for a total of five bringing the combination total to 25. Each onto their own but I encourage shooters I work with and citizens intersted in the AR platform to run ambi controls. One thing I have not found to work very well as an ambi is the charging handle. What luck if any have any of you had with ambi charging handles? I replaced mine with a standard steel charging handle and have since quit having issues with bent or broken charging handles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my personal belief that safeties and mag releases need to be ambidextrious on battle rifles. Having the ability to run controls either hand eliminates the fumbling about when forced to transition hands due to obstacles, or injuries...Each onto their own but I encourage shooters I work with and citizens intersted in the AR platform to run ambi controls. One thing I have not found to work very well as an ambi is the charging handle. What luck if any have any of you had with ambi charging handles? I replaced mine with a standard steel charging handle and have since quit having issues with bent or broken charging handles. </div></div>

I have to agree with Danel on this one. I didn't have ambi controls on my AR's until a few years ago when I started competing with them and realized that the need to transition from strong-hand to weak-hand and manipulate not only the trigger, but the other functions of the rifle. I have not yet had the opportunity to give this new offering a try, but I have a new AR-10 carbine build that I am working on and this may very well find its way onto the rifle before I get finished. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what the additional two lever designs might be??

As for the ambi-CH...I have had similar luck (or un-luck) with the replacement latches themselves being added to standard CHs and resulting in bends which in turn result in function of the rifle being shot to hell. The only exception to that has been with one of Badger Ordnance's complete forged units that I have had for a while now and I have not experienced any bends/breakages/probs of any kind with yet (probably 2.5k+ rounds down range through the rifle it is installed in). That said (and everyone's body mechanics and techniques are different), I have never had much difficulty charging an AR with my right or left hand...just makes a difference how you engage the latch.

I installed this safety with the short levers on both sides on my duty M4.....it's alot more comfartable on/off to me than the old DPMS ambi I have used for the last several years.....the short levers feel more comfartable to access and switch off no matter what the LOP I have on my collapsible stock.....the old original ambis never really felt right..

Thank you all for the review and feedback.

We will be introducing two new Selector Lever Designs, a <span style="font-weight: bold">Short+Thin lever and a Hybrid Lever</span>. I will post pictures of them when they arrive in about two weeks.

This will make <span style="font-weight: bold">(5) Lever Designs </span>total with <span style="font-weight: bold">(25) Configurations/Permutations</span> to allow the user complete flexibility to choose that fits best for him/her.

We are also working on a <span style="font-weight: bold">Prototype 45 Deg Throw Safety</span> due to requests from our customers. The 45 deg throw feels extremely fast, especially used in conjunction with our SHORT Lever. A lot of guys in competitive shooting are looking for this. The only downside is the receiver markings, which will not line up to the FIRE on your typical receiver. We're working on having lowers made with custom markings on them to go with the 45 deg throw.

Here is a short VIDEO showing the 45 Deg Throw and the 90 Deg Throw:

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/?action=view&current=shortfootage.mp4

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here are the (5) Lever Designs:</span>

BAD-ASS-5COMBO-SC1.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">A few more Reviews:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Military Morons:</span>
CLICK HERE

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jerking the Trigger:</span>
CLICK HERE Part 1
CLICK HERE Part 2

<span style="font-weight: bold">Weapon Evolution:</span>
CLICK HERE

<span style="font-weight: bold">Weaponeer:</span>
CLICK HERE </span>