• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad day shooting

cgriff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Mississippi
First round fired and the extractor fails to pick up the case. I pulled the extractor out and tweeked on it with my gerber tool(I'm no gunsmith). Put the extractor back in and it performed without a problem.

I could not get a group of 5 roundes less than .9 center to center. The first three would be nice and tight and then the groups would open up considerably. I'm working on pics right now.

I think I need more practice and I need to bed the action. Any advice on what can be done about the extactor or is it just a bad design by remington?

Thanks, Griff

Re: Bad day shooting

Here are the pics. All groups shot at 100yds.

IMG00003-20100504-1613.jpg

IMG00004-20100504-1626.jpg

IMG00005-20100504-1639.jpg

IMG00007-20100504-1656.jpg

And the rifle

IMG_1461.jpg

You must be mistaken. Remingtons don't fail and they always shoot lights out!
wink.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry if you feel that is a bad day at the range.....

I'm no group guru by any means, but the vertical dispersion of those groups are all about the same which lead me to say that if you think there's a problem the answer may lie in the mirror not the rifle.

I assume the 42.6 in the second photo related to a charge weight on a reload? If so, it could be the ammo. Maybe a little more load workup is needed?

Secondly: bedding is required for optimum accuracy if you aren't working with a chassis system. So yes, you need to bed it.

Third, While the remington extractor is arguably weak, I would not be taking a gerber to a beautiful rifle such as yours unless it was an emergency. Just my .02 FWIW

Taking the extractor out and putting back in is another problem waiting to happen. Once out they are not meant to be put back in. Get a new one and have it installed.

If that bolt was blasted before painting or if the bolt face was painted this could have been causing your extractor issues. The extractor needs to move freely and if it was binding up with crap then this could have been the problem.

Shoot factory match ammo before you start blaming the rifle when it could simply be your reloads or you. You need a base line or you could be spitting into the wind.

Nice rifle mate
smile.gif

Dont stress, if anything it may just be something minor

These things happen to remind us we are alive.

All of the above comments are valid...

And just think of it this way...a bad day at the range, really, is either what happens when your gun explodes and you die, OR you come home shaken/injured without your rig... THATS a bad day at the range
laugh.gif

keep at it you will sort it out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seporith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st ammo tried?? </div></div>
No. I've been working on some handloads, trying to figure out what it likes. The only factory match ammo I had on hand was some winchester supreme 168gr bthp. The factory stuff was worse than my hand loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who built the rifle? what ammo are you using?</div></div> The rifle is a Rem SPS Var. No work has been done to the action. I just had the barrel cut and put it in the McM stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if you feel that is a bad day at the range.....

I'm no group guru by any means, but the vertical dispersion of those groups are all about the same which lead me to say that if you think there's a problem the answer may lie in the mirror not the rifle.</div></div>

I agree, I'm sure I'm more to blame than the rifle. Even a bad day shooting is still a pretty good day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zeroed1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume the 42.6 in the second photo related to a charge weight on a reload? If so, it could be the ammo. Maybe a little more load workup is needed?

Secondly: bedding is required for optimum accuracy if you aren't working with a chassis system. So yes, you need to bed it.

Third, While the remington extractor is arguably weak, I would not be taking a gerber to a beautiful rifle such as yours unless it was an emergency. Just my .02 FWIW

</div></div>

I'm deffinately going to have to work on my hand loads, I'm pretty new to it.

I actually am in the process of bedding right now. I've had the stuff to do it for a while, just haven't had the nerve to give it a shot. We'll see how it turns out.

I agree with your third point as well. I just didn't want to waste one of the few chances I get to shoot and figured I'd give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking the extractor out and putting back in is another problem waiting to happen. Once out they are not meant to be put back in. Get a new one and have it installed.

If that bolt was blasted before painting or if the bolt face was painted this could have been causing your extractor issues. The extractor needs to move freely and if it was binding up with crap then this could have been the problem.

Shoot factory match ammo before you start blaming the rifle when it could simply be your reloads or you. You need a base line or you could be spitting into the wind.
</div></div>
Thanks for the advice. I will get another extractor ordered ASAP.

I think you are right on the money about the extractor problems being due to the finishing process.

I'll see about ordering some Federal or Black Hills factory ammo and go from there.

Bed the action and then go from there. I'd be willing to bet you'd see a big difference. My 700P was shooting groups like that maybe even worse and after I bedded the action they tightened up considerably

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griff01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'll see about ordering some Federal or Black Hills factory ammo and go from there. </div></div>

Griff, maybe try HSM as well. Sometimes it can be a confidence builder and give you another data point to compare to.

This is what I shoot since I just don't have the time to reload. It performs well for most of the folks I have experience with who have used it.... including myself
smile.gif

http://www.snipercentral.com/hsmammo.htm

Order one box and see how it performs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipercentral.com/hsmammo.htm

Order one box and see how it performs. </div></div>
I'll do it!! Oh wait... you were talking to him...

Just remember a bad day at the range beats a good day at the office every time
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking the extractor out and putting back in is another problem waiting to happen. Once out they are not meant to be put back in. Get a new one and have it installed.
</div></div>

Not arguing with you whatsoever but I have one that I've taken out and put back in at least 9-10 times. I slowly cleaned it up with a gummystone (use them for my snowboard, think pencil eraser with a sand like substance mixed in it) to stop it from shaving brass off my cases. I've shot hundreds of rounds since then. So it's common for them to start failing after being removed and I need keep an eye on it?

-X

Dont worry about it. just work on your reloads, are you seating on the lands?

Dam nice rifle btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking the extractor out and putting back in is another problem waiting to happen. Once out they are not meant to be put back in. Get a new one and have it installed.
</div></div>

Not arguing with you whatsoever but I have one that I've taken out and put back in at least 9-10 times. I slowly cleaned it up with a gummystone (use them for my snowboard, think pencil eraser with a sand like substance mixed in it) to stop it from shaving brass off my cases. I've shot hundreds of rounds since then. So it's common for them to start failing after being removed and I need keep an eye on it?

-X </div></div>

My money's with Randy on this one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it's common for them to start failing after being removed and I need keep an eye on it?

-X </div></div>
-yup.....

I bedded the action using roscoe's instructions. I think it came out pretty good. It was a learning experience for sure.

I also ordered a new extractor and a box of the hsm ammo. I'm studying up on how to properly install the extractor as I'm sure the way I did it before was not the best way.

Thanks for all the help. I think practice is what I need more than anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont worry about it. just work on your reloads, are you seating on the lands?

Dam nice rifle btw.</div></div>

I'm not seating on the lands. I'm fairly new to reloading and I'm loading everything to 2.800 OAL right now. I'll look in to seating depth next time I get to the bench.

I just recieved and installed my new extractor from Brownells. The new extractor seems a little beefier than the factory one. Is that the case or is it just me?

Rifle feeds flaslessly now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griff01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just recieved and installed my new extractor from Brownells. The new extractor seems a little beefier than the factory one. Is that the case or is it just me?

Rifle feeds flaslessly now. </div></div>

Could be they are made by someone else for Remington and I have seen several different over the years.

I went shooting today and it was a much more pleasent day than last time. Since the last time out, I bedded my action and replaced the extractor. The extractor worked flawlessly.

The bedding job turned out ok. I'm considering giving it another try just to make it look a little cleaner, but as is I believe it's functional.

I shot three groups today. The groups still are not where I want them, but I called every shot and knew it was me to blame for the groups opening up.

I quickly loaded up 15 rounds of 175gr SMKs with 41.5 grains of H4895 using BR2 primers. I used this load based on Roscoe's advice given to another member here. I haven't played with OAL yet, just sticking to 2.8 for now.

I fired two factory hunting rounds as foulers and then fired this group.
IMG_1494.jpg

Then I settled down and payed a little more attention to my follow through and shot these two groups.
IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

All in all, I think the bedding helped out a lot. I had a box of HSM match ammo sitting on the front door step when I got home tonight, so I'm going to give those a go next time out.

Thanks to all that gave suggestions and helped out.

On a side note, my nephew came out with me today and fired a few rounds. He seemed to really enjoy it and I was glad to see him put down the video games for a couple of hours. I'm looking forward to taking him out again.

Also, Go spend the $10 a month for the online training here on the hide. That will definatly tighten your groups up. Nice rifle.

On a side note, If your's is a factory barreled action, don't bother seeting to the lands, there's a chance you won't find it. You'll be happy once you get into a good load.

Also check if barrel is free floating and not touching the stock,ive experienced contact at forend on my last mcmillian stocks.Nice rifle.Keep shooting it,youll see the groups will tighten up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if you feel that is a bad day at the range.....

I'm no group guru by any means, but the vertical dispersion of those groups are all about the same which lead me to say that if you think there's a problem the answer may lie in the mirror not the rifle. </div></div>

Lol^

Well, good for you for at least hitting what you're aiming at. I'm always surprised by the people that post tight groups who are extremely proud, however the POI is not close to the bullseye.

Accuracy vs precision I guess...

Shawn