• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bad idea? Reaming 450 Bushmaster barrel to 45 Raptor.

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
My latest brainfart is that it sure would be fun to take one of those Ruger American Ranch rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster and run a 45 Raptor reamer into the breach. So far as I can tell, they're both straight wall cases intended to run .452" diameter projectiles, and offer a standard/.473 bolt face. The difference is that the Bushmaster, due to its intended use in the AR 15 platform, is rated at a max of 38,500 PSI, while the 45 Raptor is rated at a max of 62,000 PSI. As you can imagine, the net effect on the projectile due to the pressure difference is quite remarkable.

So... good way to end up with what is essentially 460 S&W Mag in a bolt gun, or good way to win a Darwin award?

I'm GUESSING that the action would be okay with the pressure because it's also available in .308 (and other 62k PSI cartridges).

I have a raptor in a bolt gun and love it. I feel it is the ultimate deer gun. I had a bushmaster before but the raptor is a better choice.
That's what I'm thinking... it has to be an absolute hammer within 200 or so yards, and the magazines, etc... designed to feed the Bushmaster should work just fine for the Raptor.

The bushmaster is a slightly tapered case and the raptor is straight wall not sure on the measurements.
45-RAPTOR-896x1024.jpg
450 Bushmaster.gif

Last edited:
It looks like .012inches difference in the case diameter just in front of the extractor groove.

Hmmm. Looking at those drawings, it seems like I should be able to fire form the brass, and just not FL resize. Given that there's no shoulder to worry about, I don't see anything wrong with just neck sizing.

I DO appreciate the heads up, though, because my default approach is to FL resize.

Hmmm. Looking at those drawings, it seems like I should be able to fire form the brass, and just not FL resize. Given that there's no shoulder to worry about, I don't see anything wrong with just neck sizing.

I DO appreciate the heads up, though, because my default approach is to FL resize.

I had issues getting the 45 raptor to feed in a Remington rifle so my smith at the time put some taper in the chamber. It fed better but made it tough full length sizing so I gave up on it last year.

I have been building an AR 10 in 45 Raptor for some time. I'm in the final stages now, developing a subsonic load that will cycle. Results looking good so far. Heavy bullets, suppressed.