• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad influences

Blazed30

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2010
AZ
You guys are bad after hanging out here for a bit i found I couldnt let myself pass up a really good deal on a Rem 700 sps tactical today. Almost bought a Savage 10FP yesterday but the buyer sold it before I could get back to him so today I saw this Rem 700 for 100 less than the Savage was going for with less than 40rds down the tube and all paperwork and the box inc lock I had to jump on it.

Re: Bad influences

Since I live in AZ I was going to have the bolt handle done right away and then start looking at some glass. I will definitly check out the B&C A2 thought thanks for the advice. This is my first Remington my other rifle is a savage so its cool to compare the diffrences and see now how everyone compares them.

I have the savage model 12LRPV. It is a real shooter. .1
The B&C stock looks and feels great. It really helped the groups and really reduced recoil. Mine is a 308. Just ordered the Leupold 6.5x20 with the VH retical. That will go on my savage.
I have a 4.5X14 on it now, this will go on the 308.
I just heard you had some great temp's today. And will be hotter tommorow. That makes for some great pool and beer. Shooting in the A.M. though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a B&C A2 stock, and you will be shooting 1/4" or better at 100 yards.
Then I had Keith from AZ precision put on a bolt knob. He does great work. </div></div>

So just by throwing it in a new stock you are saying a factory gun will shoot .25" groups?! Is this considering bedding or what?

I find your statement hard to believe and furthermore I would suggest spending your money on a better stock then a B&C. Look into Manners or McMillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a B&C A2 stock, and you will be shooting 1/4" or better at 100 yards.
Then I had Keith from AZ precision put on a bolt knob. He does great work. </div></div>

So just by throwing it in a new stock you are saying a factory gun will shoot .25" groups?! Is this considering bedding or what?

I find your statement hard to believe and furthermore I would suggest spending your money on a better stock then a B&C. Look into Manners or McMillan. </div></div>

hey, for once i agree with you
grin.gif

i think 1/4" at 100 yards with a factory rifle in a b&c stock is a bit optimistic. you may spit a group like that out once in a while but i most certainly wouldn't be expecting it to be a regular thing.

I was shooting .500 to .612 smallest group to .612 my biggest.
I put in the B&C A2 bedded the action, and with my handloads my 1st three groups were .212 .243 and a .289. Not bad for a factory remongton 700 SPS. I cannot see spending a butt load for a stock, when the one I put on only cost 215.00
Sure the hell beats the piece of S*^@ they put on.

I will see how it goes. I just got my comp. die in today. I have 50 loaded up for tommorow. The rifle is new to me, I only took it out 3X. I have hand loaded now for 15 yrs. I produce some great rounds. Dont get me wrong about the stocks you suggested, they are a great stock, But I like my glass. I would rather put 1000.00 on glass rather than a stock. I will be spending about 5 hrs tommorow at the range. We will see how it goes. But I do expect my rifle,my hand loads and my shooting I only expect the best. If I can only shoot .500 It is gone. I will put togther another. The savage, Stays. i have never shot a more accurate rifle. 8oz. trigger.....SWEET

Cool keep us updated if you can continue to re create your results I would be interested in your load info if you wouldnt mind.
Thanks

Well, I finally got to go out and shoot it today. i got 3 groups down range, and all hell broke loose with the storms. My first group was a fowling group at .612, let it cool got a .489 and then a .442. I am not going to do a thourough clean, and my next day off work I will go shoot again. These were with 44.5g of varget and 168g SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first group...</div></div>

How many shots constitutes a group for you?

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first group...</div></div>

How many shots constitutes a group for you?

Josh </div></div>

I know you are not asking me this, but I feel that 5 shots would give you an accurate result on how the gun is shooting. 3 is not enough and 10 is too much.

Not sure if I agree on the 6 and 10 shot rule. But hey, its not my forum
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joker31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I live in AZ I was going to have the bolt handle done right away and then start looking at some glass. I will definitly check out the B&C A2 thought thanks for the advice. This is my first Remington my other rifle is a savage so its cool to compare the diffrences and see now how everyone compares them. </div></div>

It's officially too hot to shoot here:) Unless you wake up at 6am for the range that opens at 7am. There is a window of 45 or so minutes where its a bearable 95 degrees.

The sps is a great starter and or a rifle to build as funds allow,just my 02 cents YMMV,if your going to keep the rifle and plan to rebarrel,new bottom metal,restock etc. go ahead and get a manners or mcmillan,nothing wrong with the BC stock,if your just planning on a restock only the BC would be the way togo if funds are low

I'd prefer a VLS laminate handle for $100-150 to a B&C/HS for free. Capture the lug and rock on.

Spend money on Re-15 and 155 Scenars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azhank</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joker31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I live in AZ I was going to have the bolt handle done right away and then start looking at some glass. I will definitly check out the B&C A2 thought thanks for the advice. This is my first Remington my other rifle is a savage so its cool to compare the diffrences and see now how everyone compares them. </div></div>

It's officially too hot to shoot here:) Unless you wake up at 6am for the range that opens at 7am. There is a window of 45 or so minutes where its a bearable 95 degrees. </div></div>

I agree although next week we are supposed to be back down in the 90's that might make for some nice early morning shooting, if only i had this rig ready to go. Trying to decide on the Falcon or a WOTAC leaning towards the Falcon at the moment. I appreciate all the info passed on so far. I havent decided how far i want to take this rig just getting my feet wet in the actual long range game. Only other rifle I have had besides it is a .243 savage which is a normal contour barrel in a stock savage stock and a PSL. The Savage is a nice shooter turns out decent groups but heats up quick and was my coyote gun so it has been banged around a bit and only has a Tasco on it nothing fancy but does the job for yotes. The PSL is fun cheap to shoot and looks cool as heck always get lots of comments on it but I havent been able to shoot anything better than 1.5' groups with it using czech silver tip ammo and 5mins between shots. I have the orignal stock with a 6x42 PSOP on it so cheek weld is a major issue. I dont think it would perform better than 1' groups at best though from what I have read and seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I myself only shoot 3 shot groups. 2-3 min. between shots</div></div>

Yeah? I'm fairly new at this but is waiting the long between shots 'normal'?

I have been punching paper recently trying to set up my SPS and I've been firing groups of 5 quite quickly after each other. Given I have a pencil thin contour barrel, waiting a few minutes between shots would certainly improve my groups but I assumed they'd be artificial numbers compared to everything else on here.

Once I get my barrel to a certain temp,that being just warm seems like it shoots the best then. I wait between shots so it has a little time to cool down to that temp. I want to get a laser temp guage. Do I need it? Probably not, but I want one to see the actual temp my barrel is at when shooting at peek times. I dont know what most people consider a proper group, being 3, 5, or 10 shot groups. I myself like 3 shot groups. The barrel stays cooler, and I can shoot longer at the range, and this means less honey dues at home.LOL

The new accepted group is 5 shots and i say new as in the last few years that was adopted and is the rule for this site when posting pics I guess. I know most of my friends if shooting for "groups" will usualy allow 3-5mins between shots. Also though with them they accept 3 shot groups for a testimony of accuracy or the rig lol.

Cool. I guess I was being unfair to myself then, as I've been punching 5 shot groups with each shot immediately after I got back on target.

Looks like my groups just improved in an instant
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a B&C A2 stock, and you will be shooting 1/4" or better at 100 yards.
</div></div>Holy shit...that is all it takes? And I spent all this money on ammo and training...please do?t post stupid shit like that on this forum, someone might actually believe it, someone that does not know you are full of shit, that is.

A barrel that can't take "hot",gets shitcanned.

Those tubes are damned few.