• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad LMT Barrel

Choid

Anti Bodyfat Activist
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
So, my experience with LMT has been uniformly good with the exception of one shit barrel. I have an 11.5" 556 that won't shoot inside 4 inches. Pissed me off enough that I pretty much stopped shooting the rifle, even with other barrels. Swapped in my 10.5" today, which is a barrel length I don't particularly love, and the thing is a hammer. 1 inch with an Aimpoint, consistently. So, the smart thing is just to stick with that, but I was wondering if anybody had had any real dud LMT barrels in the past.

Reactions: Cootis23
About 10 barrels for me. All chrome lined. All exceptional accuracy for chrome lined barrels. (Moa or better with match ammo)

• Haha
Reactions: Cgw1984
Yep, very inconsistent in my experience. Been through about 6 factory cl and ss of 16” and 18”. Never happy with accuracy of any of them. 1.5-2 moa was average. Sometimes more sometimes less. Started putting bartleins on then and now they shoot tiny little groups very consistently just like a bolt gun. I think they got their name for accuracy from back when they were using Rock barrels. Just like Larue became known for accuracy when they were using lother Walther barrels. Both great platforms capable of extreme consistency, but it’s only good as the barrel in it.

I had the one of the first civilian NZ rifles....the barrel looked like it was shot 40000rds...lands and grooves were screwed...no amount of scrubbing/cleaning got the barrel clean (bought the setup brand new from Brownells)...

LMT promptly replaced it...

LMT now, I believe, makes the barrels in-house minus the 5-R (I think those are this Rock)....

Reactions: Cgw1984
I only have a sample size of one to go off of. It's also an 11.5" barrel. I don't shoot for groups at 100 yards with an SBR, so my only "grouping" experience is zeroing optics at 50 yards. Most of the time, all rounds are grouped together unless I really screw up. I have had some "scratch my head" moments while zeroing, but I chalk that up to the nature of the beast using XM193 ammo and not match ammo.

What upper and ammo are you shooting? If there is a problem with the product, talk to LMT and they will fix it.

My cqb barrels shoots well but my SS MWS barrel shoots lights out with my loads, especially one I would not expect which would be the 147gr fmj's and varget. Was not expecting the accuracy I get from that load.

I have had hit or miss accuracy results with 2 different LMT rifles.

Can't definitely claim that the barrel was the culprit. However, I figure it had to be a contributor as the upper and lower machining was always first rate.

Owned a few different brands of AR15s and AR10s over my time....I haven't ever had inconsistent results across the tier 1 companies.

Never had any issues but shit happens, Shoot Joe hajny an IM on the facebook and they will get you taken care of.

I have owned 4 of their 7.62 barrels. All but one lightweight shot MOA or better with good Ammo. The bad barrel still held 1.5 MOA for a CL gasser, not bad. I have 2 10.5's. I need to check them. If they only run RDS's I'm less picky but this has interested me.
Overall pretty good results.
PB

So why didn’t you pick up the phone and call LMT when you first noticed the issue instead of getting pissed at the rifle? Calling them would actually get you towards a solution to your problem vs ranting to a group of people online.

Just saying.

Reactions: Jsp556 and Cgw1984
Call Lmt. I had a 16 inch that would shoot 12 inch groups. I spent countless range sessions trying to figure in out with multiple different ammos. Lmt looked at it and found an issue with barrel which they promptly replaced. Has been a consistent barrel ever since. The marketing guy on YouTube echo’s their commitment to customer service.

So why didn’t you pick up the phone and call LMT when you first noticed the issue instead of getting pissed at the rifle? Calling them would actually get you towards a solution to your problem vs ranting to a group of people online.

Just saying.
I did. They looked at it and said it's a 3 inch barrel, which is in spec and sent it back. I'm not complaining, and still use a lot of their stuff. It is just worse than every other barrel from them I had. It's hardly a rant. If you want me to rant, let me know and I will.

I did. They looked at it and said it's a 3 inch barrel, which is in spec and sent it back. I'm not complaining, and still use a lot of their stuff. It is just worse than every other barrel from them I had. It's hardly a rant. If you want me to rant, let me know and I will.

Call them again and ask to speak to someone higher up. Explain your experience with other barrels from them and that this one is not up to par with the others and you’re not satisfied with your purchase.

My buddy’s 6.5 Creedmoor was a scatter gun. He went back and forth with LMT to no avail…
Damn. My 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from them is a hammer with a few different factory ammos. Easily the most accurate semi auto I've shot.

Reactions: Breacher

Just saying.
Hello, welcome to the internet.

I have a 556 LMT CQB that shoots well. Usually well under 1 moa. But not my LMT MWS CL 16" that I bought when they first came out. 5 shoot 100 yards with168 grain FGMM or my 168 grain SMK hand loads that shoots well in my early LaRue OBR or AIAW. Best I could get was 1.5-2 moa. Have a Nightforce 3-15X50 NXS scope with Zero Stop on it. Called LMT and was told that was in spec. No help at all. Very disappointed in it and LMT. Especiayl when I read of superior accuracy on the main main LMT thread.

Last edited: