• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bad lot of steel and rumors

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
I'm probably opening a can of worms here but I'm going to put this to rest once and for all.

A rumor was started a while back somewhere in PRS that we had a bad lot of steel. The main thing that was said was our barrels where dying prematurely and that Hawk Hill barrels where lasting longer. Also a comment a few times was thrown in there about stress.

That rumor was flat out BS! Thinking it was coming from Hawk Hill as that kept getting relayed to me I even called Shawn at Hawk Hill. We helped him with different things when he started out.

So when I called Shawn and told him what I was calling about and if it was either coming out of his shop or from his shooters I asked him to put a stop to it. Shawn told me and reaffirmed to me that it wasn't coming from him at all and I'll quote what he said in the very next sentence right here..... "Frank if that was true then we would be having problems as well...as our steel comes out of your heat lots." Which that was another reason why I called him. He's using the same steel! So there is no way that there was any truth to it.

I want you all to think of this as well. We make and ship on average 200 or more ammunition test barrels a month. The barrels could be pressure and velocity test barrels (which can also be used for accuracy testing), finished accuracy test barrels and or accuracy blanks that the end user does the finish work on themselves. About 90% of the ammunition test barrels we ship out we do the finish work on complete. Chambers etc...and the test barrels are getting used pronto. They are not sitting on a shelf somewhere for 10 years etc in most cases.

A good example.... just in one caliber one ammunition maker where the accuracy requirement for the box ammo is .65moa. They are burning thru a minimum of 10 barrels a month to the tune of over 5k rounds of ammunition being fired thru them (it's a big magnum round so it's a barrel burner). This is every month and this has been being done for a few years now. If there was truly a bad lot of steel etc.... places like this are going to be calling us way sooner than anyone else. The steel we use for test barrels is the same material we use for anyone else ordering a barrel from us. We don't have special steel just for test barrels etc... or sort stuff out just for test barrels and you and I get the left overs.

If there truly is a problem with steel.... I'm going to hear it from the Gov't, an ammunition maker, a bullet maker etc... way sooner than I hear it from someone that gets a barrel or two or a few a year.

When someone has a problem and blames it on the barrel/bad steel. You have to take what you hear with a grain of salt at times. At times you and I don't always get the whole picture of what is going on.

I can throw Murphy's law in here and say.... if someone does have a problem with a barrel could it be with that particular barrel and that one piece of steel. Sure but one barrel out of a whole heat lot of material doesn't mean the whole lot is bad etc...and one heat lot of material for us can make 10k or more barrels.

Have we've gotten a particular lot of material and had issues with it. You bet.... but it wasn't barrel life or accuracy issues or anything like that. It was the way it was machining. We got a hold of the mill and rejected the whole lot and they took it back and replaced it. Out of that lot of material we only shipped 14 barrels and they where all 30cal and I know the shop they went to. No safety issues or accuracy or barrel life issues. It was strictly machining issues and what affected it was the way the mill made the material. By the way this lot of steel was back in 2009 and you can thank the Obama administration for that! Because what that administration did made the mill take short cuts.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thank you for the clarification. I personally have not heard this rumor, but if I do, I’ll share this information.

The amount of stupid shit I hear on gun forums/shooting ranges about highly technical topics such as precision machining, heat treatment, and metallurgy is staggering.

But starting a rumor about someone's products with no actual knowledge/understanding is a straight up douchenozzle move.

Thanks for taking the time to address that Frank. Sucks that you even have to make such an announcement.

Like any social group, PRS can have its pretty petty moments. There's a lot of pettiness specifically in regards to brands, and if the right people start saying certain things then rumors circulate like wildfire through the PRS crowd. That crowd is very protective of specific brands (Impact and HH being two prominent ones), and aren't afraid to shake trees around the brands with a less cult like following.

The amount of stupid shit I hear on gun forums/shooting ranges about highly technical topics such as precision machining, heat treatment, and metallurgy is staggering.

But starting a rumor about someone's products with no actual knowledge/understanding is a straight up douchenozzle move.
Your absolutely right.

I remember back in the late 80's or early 90's when I was shooting service rifle in a high power match. So before working for/as a barrel maker.

When I came off the line another shooter says to me... "I see you have a c.m. steel barrel on your rifle." I said, yea so? He says, " You want S.S. as the S.S. barrels in 30cal last another 1k rounds longer than c.m. steel barrels do." I figured hey the guy has been shooting for 20 years or so and he knew what he was talking about. Right?

Guess what.... that is flat out BS as well. The SS and CM wear differently but with everything else being equal.... there is no difference in terms of barrel life. This is what I've actually seen in ammunition test barrels that we made both CM and SS in the same caliber etc...and the data I've gotten back from ammunition/bullet makers.

Your absolutely right.

I remember back in the late 80's or early 90's when I was shooting service rifle in a high power match. So before working for/as a barrel maker.

When I came off the line another shooter says to me... "I see you have a c.m. steel barrel on your rifle." I said, yea so? He says, " You want S.S. as the S.S. barrels in 30cal last another 1k rounds longer than c.m. steel barrels do." I figured hey the guy has been shooting for 20 years or so and he knew what he was talking about. Right?

Guess what.... that is flat out BS as well. The SS and CM wear differently but with everything else being equal.... there is no difference in terms of barrel life. This is what I've actually seen in ammunition test barrels that we made both CM and SS in the same caliber etc...and the data I've gotten back from ammunition/bullet makers.

It's amazing what myths and lore get perpetrated throughout communities as truths.

One just has to look at reloading and the "truths" that get espoused in that segment of our hobby to see how prevalent BS is.

Thanks for taking the time to address that Frank. Sucks that you even have to make such an announcement.

Like any social group, PRS can have its pretty petty moments. There's a lot of pettiness specifically in regards to brands, and if the right people start saying certain things then rumors circulate like wildfire through the PRS crowd. That crowd is very protective of specific brands (Impact and HH being two prominent ones), and aren't afraid to shake trees around the brands with a less cult like following.

Thanks!

Also to anyone reading this post/thread. I'm not hacking on the PRS guys at all. That's the example I used as it sticks in my head. That's all.

A few years ago at Shot Show another barrel maker (guys in the shop) where walking around telling people we had a bad lot of steel and a barrel blew up because of it. They told this to another gun maker who is our customer and quoted a different manufacture that had a problem with a barrel blowing up. Imagine my surprise when I immediately got a phone call from that gun maker and said you need to hear this.

I knew what he was talking about. It was a test performed by another gun manufacturer and it was in intentional barrel bore obstruction test failure they where performing. So at Shot Show I called up one of the guys at the other gun manufacturer as to what was said. That guy went ballistic as the information was twisted.

So I knew who the barrel maker was and when I got back from Shot Show called them up and talked to the owner. As soon as he picked up the phone he knew why I was calling and he said he told his guys not to say anything like that. I told him... that ever happens again we are coming down and driving the truck thru his living room window and it's not going to be pretty! LOL!

People will blame anything but the real reason.

Had a bad lot go around with Tungsten back in the day. I knew about it before anyone else because all this stuff is checked and double checked before it ever gets put back in production. In fact my supplier told us as they knew it was coming and we had to prepare for an out of spec material.

Dear plant manager: I am shutting down your 1 billion dollar factory because these idiots screwed up. Fun times!

Reactions: lash
Thanks!

Also to anyone reading this post/thread. I'm not hacking on the PRS guys at all. That's the example I used as it sticks in my head. That's all.

I don't mean to cast judgement on the entirety of the sport of PRS and those that shoot it either - hell, I shoot PRS matches from time to time.

But I do recognize how any insular group of people can become petty about certain subjects, and PRS is definitely not immune to it. BR, F-Class, etc - I'm sure its all the same story. It's easy for incorrect/unsubstantiated rumors to spread when certain people (with influence) join in. I think Malcom Gladwell has an entire book dedicated to this phenomena.

Good to get out front on the rumors, as these kinds of rumors can really hurt a business. Especially if trusted/influential people inside of any group repeat/spreads them.

Reactions: xxerexx and lash
Your absolutely right.

Frank I was shooting HP in the late 90s/early 2000s and heard the same bullshit.

By then I had almost a full decade of manufacturing engineering first hand experience at an aircraft manufacturer and access to some serious metallurgical know how and horsepower in our design engineering staff and our metallurgical lab. So I already knew that "common knowledge" was complete rubbish.

I mean look no further than here about 5- 8 years ago with the nitriding craze. People thinking it's a coating, or a "finish", or that any steel (or worse non-ferrous metals) could be treated with it......I mean just straight up crazy ignorant shit repeated as if it was gospel.

Unfortunately a fairly common occurrence. Guys in their backyard actually believe their "testing" is on par or better with professional users or services.

It's very clear in the shooting world that people have no clue how to properly test things.

Reloading and tuners is a very clear demonstrating on peoples lack of understanding of proper test procedures, statistics, and how to properly draw conclusions.

I've never heard the rumor, but agree that we should be more careful about what we read and what we post.

I have two Bartlein barrels. They shoot great and are showing no signs of giving up early. The only complaint that I have is leadtimes are too long ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BradyW
I shot out a good number of AINA 243 Bartlein barrels. Most of them I was getting 1800-2000 rounds shooting matches. I bought a batch of 3 from the same shipment in 2016 and none of those barrels lasted more than 1K rounds before they were toast. Nothing else changed except new barrels and all of a sudden they got half of the barrel life.

There’s also a guy over on rokslide that shot out one of your MOD400 barrels on a 300RUM in 400 rounds which is less than half of what normal steel usually gets in those. I’ve shot out a number of 300RUM barrels too pushing very hot loads and know well enough that 400 rounds is not normal. Even my 15 twist for 110’s pushing them over 4200FPS got 700 rounds before velocity fell off and a couple hundred more before accuracy opened up on a Krieger barrel.

I like your barrels a lot and still continue to buy them, but to pretend that there aren’t bad batches of steel when it happens to everyone just seems like a cop out and is off putting.

I'll put this out there:

I've met more experts on metals and metallurgy on this forum than I knew existed. Just listen to y'all. Man we could of use you back in the day in grad school.

I got a PhD studying Ferrous Metals (Thats Iron--primary component of steel for you knuckle draggers). And I also know when Frank Green talks, I STFU.

I shot out a good number of AINA 243 Bartlein barrels. Most of them I was getting 1800-2000 rounds shooting matches. I bought a batch of 3 from the same shipment in 2016 and none of those barrels lasted more than 1K rounds before they were toast. Nothing else changed except new barrels and all of a sudden they got half of the barrel life.

There’s also a guy over on rokslide that shot out one of your MOD400 barrels on a 300RUM in 400 rounds which is less than half of what normal steel usually gets in those. I’ve shot out a number of 300RUM barrels too pushing very hot loads and know well enough that 400 rounds is not normal. Even my 15 twist for 110’s pushing them over 4200FPS got 700 rounds before velocity fell off and a couple hundred more before accuracy opened up on a Krieger barrel.

I like your barrels a lot and still continue to buy them, but to pretend that there aren’t bad batches of steel when it happens to everyone just seems like a cop out and is off putting.
Interesting... I've only had 1 Bartlein and the rifle wasn't a shooter but to my knowledge the steel was fine. I've had a bunch of Hawk hills and ran into a few that burned out super quick in the 2016 time frame. This is interesting because Frank said they are using the same steel but idk if they were in that time frame.

I don't know frank....I don't shoot his barrels.....I have 0 vested interest in any of this.

But how did you determine the steel was at fault?...

What specifically made the steel "bad"?....wrong chemical comp?....wrong heat treat?....

What was the failure mechanism on the barrels? How did you rule out a chambering defect?

You mentioned 300 RUM and 400 rounds being "out of the normal".....what is the six-sigma distribution on barrel life?
Using consistently loaded ammunition across several barrels and having one (or more)fire crack badly and throw fliers in half the time is a good indicator being bad steel since the only thing that changed is the barrel.

Reactions: FatBoy
I don't know frank....I don't shoot his barrels.....I have 0 vested interest in any of this.

But how did you determine the steel was at fault?...

What specifically made the steel "bad"?....wrong chemical comp?....wrong heat treat?....

What was the failure mechanism on the barrels? How did you rule out a chambering defect?

You mentioned 300 RUM and 400 rounds being "out of the normal".....what is the six-sigma distribution on barrel life?

I’m not a metallurgist so I have no idea, but when the barrels last half the life with the same powder and load and the same shot strings I don’t know what else it be.

Other people have had the same stuff happen. I’ve also had a Krieger on a KAC LPR go in less than 500 rounds and KAC and Krieger both admitted the issue to a bad lot of barrel steel and it was replaced as well as the other people who also bought them and had them crap out super fast.

Bad lots of steel happen.

I shot out a good number of AINA 243 Bartlein barrels...
The problem is there is always a middle man in these stories.
Using consistently loaded ammunition across several barrels and having one (or more)fire crack badly and throw fliers in half the time is a good indicator being bad steel since the only thing that changed is the barrel.

Just a general note about this type of a comment. None of us (including you) have any idea what you are talking about without doing a lab test. If you did a lab test you get actual results and they will a print out with composition and show variances to normal/spec. If you don't have a lab test of the steel/sample variation...I'd basically not pretend to talk about "bad lots" and "out of spec".

Last edited:
Same powder lots across barrels?

Same bullet lots across barrel?

Cut with the same reamer across barrels?

All cleaned these way?

Are your cleaning products all from the same lot?

And again, what is "bad steel"......what technically does that mean?
Yes, except for cleaning products lots which is something no one tracks. Bulk buying is a thing. Maybe "bad steel" is too general of a term but it does describe a barrel that more rapidly degrades from use than normal. The only major change is the barrel steel. I'm not making up the term and the fact that hawk hill replaced all 3 barrels and said I wasn't the only one confirmed it for me.

@Frank Green Never heard that rumor, but at the same time, after all these years of being in and around the shooting community, gun shops, and forums, I have never once heard a bad thing anyone had to say about a Bartlein barrel...Blank or prefit. 👍🏼

CLR doesn't damage barrels
Did you see the video that some pencil-neck put out on YouTube trying to prove that Mr. Kelbly was right about how "CLR is damaging his actions". It was pretty dumb. It was his "definitive proof" that Kelbly was right. 🤣 Just google search it, and you'll be able to tell which video it is. It was even posted to here a while back in a thread about cleaning guns and suppressors with CLR.

Reactions: 308pirate
Ignore it @Frank Green and just keep up the good work.
I have been making custom cutting tools for a lot of big names for a few years, whenever someone starts saying “they use bad carbide” or “they make bad tools” they also usually don’t want to send any of the alleged bad ones back, I know right off they are full of nonsense. It has only happened a few times but in every case it turned out to be a user problem, or in one case, deliberate sabotage.
Why? Who knows. Stupid or incompetent people I guess.

“I did choose to have them “+P” the throat for the extra velocity potential.”

Reactions: LeftyJason

Conveniently posted on the same day that they also finally emailed the guy in the other thread that they’re not standing behind the barrel because of the +P chamber. More damage control, just like this thread stating rumors from years ago that PRS shooters were supposedly spreading. Why would someone rehash rumors from years ago?

Sorry but nobody is going to convince me that a +P chamber is going to cut normal barrel life in half in any steel, let alone proprietary super steel that’s supposed to extend barrel life.

Pretty sure that guy was running a +P throat and N570 too.

You have something going on! I know 3 others and myself (all good shooters/handloaders) with carbon barrels that walk as barrel warms up, mine is about 2" right and a touch low. Once it's hot, it'll hammer. No other barrel I've had walks like this, carbon or steel. And yes I have 2 other 65mm Bartlein carbons from 2-3 years ago upon first release, they do NOT do this.
20230912_121806.jpg

Sorry but nobody is going to convince me that a +P chamber is going to cut normal barrel life in half in any steel, let alone proprietary super steel that’s supposed to extend barrel life.
Surely cutting down the lands in the throat, to allow the use of extra powder, to run a faster load, wouldn’t do anything to the rate at with the “remaining” lands in the throat erode. Your not going to convince me that you have any idea what in the world you are talking about.

Reactions: 308pirate
Yeah I saw the original post and decided to stay out of it. IMO guys that try to wring out all the speed they can get need to accept they are probably going to see less barrel life. The chances of them pushing well beyond the max pressure also increases. When I worked in a ballistics lab we could see that going over pressure on RUMS was harder to see sometimes. Add that to the possibility one could let the barrel get really hot while doing load work up chasing velocities. It's just part of the game.

Reactions: Frank Green

Nobody cares if you understand this or not.