• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad News .338 Lapua

Matman2010

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
Kansas
Has anyone else seen this AR type .338 Lapua rifle? I came onto Snipers Hide and it was advertised up top of the website.

http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp

It looks pretty cool, has anyone seen anything about this? They say it is only 13lb.

~$4500 for the rifle, and ~$6200 with a with optional night force 3.5 X 15 rifle scope steel rings and bipod.

Re: Bad News .338 Lapua

I don't plan on getting one, I just thought it was cool that they made a AR styled .338 lapua and so if you are use to the ar, you can use that rifle.

I haven't gotten to see one in person yet, but I think that someone here posted some info on these rifles as seen at SHOT earlier this year. You might try running a quick search.

For those interested, POF is also working on a 338LM semi-auto rifle (the P338 R.E.P.R.).

For me...it isn't very practical. I can just manage to keep up on costs of shooting the 338LM in a bolt action rifle (along with 308, 300WM, etc.), much less a semi-auto that will undoubtedly burn through ammo faster than I can with a bolt rifle!!!

RND has been making .338LM AR style semis for a while now, but I too agree: there's not a whole lot of reason for a semi in a caliber like that.

Unless you have a deep pocket, the semi version of the 338LM is going to be very expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wefite4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all of you that claim barrel length on an AR doesnt affect accuracy, why the 26" barrel? </div></div>

Just a guess...before its a much bigger caliber with ALOT more powder...you'll need a longer tube to really burn off all the powder for max velocity. Granted I'm probably wrong and someone who knows more will be along shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wefite4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all of you that claim barrel length on an AR doesnt affect accuracy, why the 26" barrel? </div></div>

my guess is for velocity, not accuracy.

Calibers like this require barrel length to perform. The powder burn of a 223 happens in 12-14" of barrel length (powder depending), however, a 338LM needs much more length to get all 90+ grn burned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calibers like this require barrel length to perform. The powder burn of a 223 happens in 12-14" of barrel length (powder depending), however, a 338LM needs much more length to get all 90+ grn burned. </div></div>

True.

RND Manufacturing made the EDGE rifle although I havent seen a whole lot of these on the line. They have been available since about 2000 or 2003?

http://www.rndedge.com/images/rifles01/rifle2000a.htm

you could shoot the 338 Lapua from a 16" barrell accurately but then you may as well shoot a 300 win mag in a 26" barrel as it will outperform it balisticaly. the accuracy in not realy relevant to barrel length i know of a few 338 Lapuas with 18 and 20" barrels there in the US for long range pistols but they bave a specific purpose. if you get a 338 Lapua you might aswell get the extra velocity available from a long barrel. we build them with 28" barrels as they are great to get the best performance from and give you a longer effective range. the rifles are generaly longer and heavier than a 308 or similar from the start and designed for longer shots so barrel length being longer is usualy not an issue as you set up for long range shots and take your time. now with short range rifles short barrels work well and out to 600 yards are still effective with 16" tubes like the 260's and 308's people are starting to use in tactical matches because if you add a can the rifle is longer again and in tight areas the short barrels are easier to manipulate. but for long range i believe a longer barrel is better on things with magnum sized cases or you are wasting the performance. the only thing with this that is slightly diferent is the short mags they work well with barrels as short as 22" where a Win mag would be needing a 24" to get similar results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my guess [longer barrel] is for velocity, not accuracy.</div></div>
Aren't the two related (though not the same), especially long range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could shoot the 338 Lapua from a 16" barrell accurately but then you may as well shoot a 300 win mag in a 26" barrel as it will outperform it balisticaly. the accuracy in not realy relevant to barrel length i know of a few 338 Lapuas with 18 and 20" barrels there in the US for long range pistols but they bave a specific purpose. if you get a 338 Lapua you might aswell get the extra velocity available from a long barrel. we build them with 28" barrels as they are great to get the best performance from and give you a longer effective range. the rifles are generaly longer and heavier than a 308 or similar from the start and designed for longer shots so barrel length being longer is usualy not an issue as you set up for long range shots and take your time. now with short range rifles short barrels work well and out to 600 yards are still effective with 16" tubes like the 260's and 308's people are starting to use in tacticle matches because if you add a can the rifle is longer again and in thight areas the short barrels are easier to manipulate. but for long rnage i believe a longer barrel is better on things with magnum sized cases or you are wasting the performance. the only thing with this that is slightly diferent is the short mags they work well with barrels as short as 22" where a Win mag would be needing a 24" to get similar results.

</div></div>+1

Many other better rifles you could buy with that kind of money.

GAP, Barrett, Surgeon, etc.

Jimmy,

Your right on that aspect that rnd has been makeing them for sometime but I would not consider it "production". He makes them to order so I would consider them more of a "custom" gun than a "production" rifle.

Ok Robert I will roll with that. The point I was making that it's really not anything new per-se.It is a good looking gun and I'm not putting it down. But just trying to give credit were credit is due.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my guess [longer barrel] is for velocity, not accuracy.</div></div>
Aren't the two related (though not the same), especially long range?</div></div>

You could still get the same accuracy from cartridge with less velocity.

Example: Say a .223 rem with a 16" barrel VS a 24" barrel at 1000m. Same barrels same loads same everything except one has a 16" tube and the other a 24". Lets just say the 16" barrel will give you roughly 800fps less than the 24" which means you need to dial in more elevation at 1000 than the 24" barrel. It also means that the elements will affect the bullet more than that same bullet flying faster out of the 24". However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 16" is any less accurate than the 24". If there were a 1000m INDOOR range with NO wind or elements and you could dial in the elevation at 1000m for both guns. I'm sure the group size would be the same.

Well, thats the way I look at it. Could be wrong though.

Nice looking stick! I wonder how much one of those runs anyways. I am having a .338 Lapua built here soon. Just started looking for various builders just a few days ago. Can't wait!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my guess [longer barrel] is for velocity, not accuracy.</div></div>
Aren't the two related (though not the same), especially long range?</div></div>

You could still get the same accuracy from cartridge with less velocity.

Example: Say a .223 rem with a 16" barrel VS a 24" barrel at 1000m. Same barrels same loads same everything except one has a 16" tube and the other a 24". Lets just say the 16" barrel will give you roughly 800fps less than the 24" which means you need to dial in more elevation at 1000 than the 24" barrel. It also means that the elements will affect the bullet more than that same bullet flying faster out of the 24". However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 16" is any less accurate than the 24". If there were a 1000m INDOOR range with NO wind or elements and you could dial in the elevation at 1000m for both guns. I'm sure the group size would be the same.

Well, thats the way I look at it. Could be wrong though. </div></div>

Close but you have over stepped it just a little, back to 600 yards the accuracy would be just as good if they were both made with match grade components but at 1000 yards the 16" barrel round will be going tran sonic making the projectiles effected by enviromental factors out of the shooters and rifles controll at 800 yards they will likley still work well but a 24" at 1000 is on the edge you would realy have to push the pressure to make a 16" 23 to stay above the transonic levels but in the rest of your asumptions you are on the money.

This is like a 16" 338 it would lack the velocity and a long barreled 300 win mag would likley overtake it because you can boost the velocity even though the BC is less but in a vacume at 300 yards the accuracy of a rifle will not be determined by barrel length within reason.

Ok so when is someone who actually has one of these Bad News 338's going to post something, pics, reviews, anything??? Or how about the company that makes them? Obviously they have to be on here how about posting up some pics and specs...if your listening/reading...

Thmpr- neither are based on a "true" AR platform in the sense if using an ar15 conversion etc, but RND has an upper-lower that are massive to handle the 338. His has a piston operation. He has been making them over 10 years so I guess they are in "production".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so when is someone who actually has one of these Bad News 338's going to post something, pics, reviews, anything??? Or how about the company that makes them? Obviously they have to be on here how about posting up some pics and specs...if your listening/reading... </div></div>

I was wondering that too. Usually with a rifle all you have to do is google "_____ bang bang range report" and you end up with a zillion results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will have one by feb 1, 2011... I can't wait. </div></div>

Better post some pics and targets when you get it. I've got one of the on my wish list.

I had considered purchasing a Bad News Lapua when I bought my POF 308 but decided against it because the ammo is just too damned expensive.

Cobb has been making semi auto 338's for awhile now.
Vigilance Rifles has a semi auto 338 as well.

These guys are not the first. For that type of money I would go full bore custom bolt gun.

Extremely accurate semi .338s have been around since at least the late 90s. Demand hasn't been there until recently and even now it is an extremely niche thing.

Nice rifle!

I agree with the above, seems like a niche thing

I would assume most users of a .338LM would prefer a bolt action when going past 1500 yards

I looked at one of those briefly before deciding on a 98 Bravo.

I believe Barrett did some R&D on an auto platform before dumping it for a bolt rig. When you factor that 338lm barrel life is low, its a safe assumption that the rest of the parts deteriorate rapidly as well. I would think that long-term reliability and light weight are qualities that don't fit the 338LM in auto configuration.

There's a reason the Barret .50 cal autos weigh more than 30 lbs.

The info is much appreciated.
I plan on the purchase for novelty not any real use. The ammo has come down to $3/round and I dont plan on shooting alot of rounds out of it. Right now I am content with my LWRC REPR.

Finally got my Bad News 338!!!! It is a beast! I will try to post pictures. First I need to find a place in San Antonio where I can shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got my Bad News 338!!!! It is a beast! I will try to post pictures. First I need to find a place in San Antonio where I can shoot it. </div></div>Congrats Rich. Another sweet rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cobb has been making semi auto 338's for awhile now.

These guys are not the first. For that type of money I would go full bore custom bolt gun. </div></div>

Cobb was purchased by Bushmaster back in 07. Skip Patel is now a VP at Bushmaster and Buzz Baker the sales manager started up his own venture called C3 Defense. So all Cobb Rifles except for the 50 BA are no longer made.

But the MCR 400 was a sexy beast!(Multi Caliber Rifle)

<span style="font-weight: bold">MCR 400 </span>
CobbMCR400.jpg

i have a hard time watching my lapua 6mmAR brass fly, so 338 lapua brass ain't gonna happen. It is stupid but that's my thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cobb has been making semi auto 338's for awhile now.

These guys are not the first. For that type of money I would go full bore custom bolt gun. </div></div>

Cobb was purchased by Bushmaster back in 07. Skip Patel is now a VP at Bushmaster and Buzz Baker the sales manager started up his own venture called C3 Defense. So all Cobb Rifles except for the 50 BA are no longer made.

But the MCR 400 was a sexy beast!(Multi Caliber Rifle)

<span style="font-weight: bold">MCR 400 </span>
CobbMCR400.jpg
</div></div>

OK, and your point? Doesn't changer the fact that these jokers were not the first to make this system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't gotten to see one in person yet, but I think that someone here posted some info on these rifles as seen at SHOT earlier this year. You might try running a quick search.

For those interested, POF is also working on a 338LM semi-auto rifle (the P338 R.E.P.R.).

For me...it isn't very practical. I can just manage to keep up on costs of shooting the 338LM in a bolt action rifle (along with 308, 300WM, etc.), much less a semi-auto that will undoubtedly burn through ammo faster than I can with a bolt rifle!!! </div></div>

QFT. Hell it's even hard to keep up with an AR in 308 and with raw material prices reportedly making a 10-15% hike next month I'm gonna pass.

I'm sure the military could find a use for it, though.

I like the 1 moa at 600 yrd guarantee, sounds tacticool.