• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bad range day

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
As per usual, I went the range with the 17 HMR and lined up a couple of 21 Dot Drill targets.

Today was terrible. I'm not sure what the issue was today, but, and I'm embarrassed to say this, I only hit 3 of the 42 dots on the 2 targets today. I've been able to get about 2/3 of the dots, but today was just plain horrible.

Terrible.

Re: Bad range day

A person can have those days. How far were you shooting and what were the weather conditions?

Damn cold - which I think is what my problem was: I didn't have a jacket, and my hands were pretty frozen. 50 yards. I've been shooting my whole life, but not precision shooting until recently (with the exception of a whoopass pellet rifle I had about a decade ago - that thing could thread a button), and shooting at dots is a different skill than acquiring minute of critter accuracy.

I have been doing well, but today was a let down. I'll get back out tomorrow or over the weekend, properly dressed this time, and do it again, and again.

Thanks for the encouragement!

smile.gif

I've always had trouble target shooting when my hands are really cold. Don't sweat the bad day, anyone who doesn't have them is a liar or a freak of nature. What I work on is getting those bad days down in numbers by constant practice of fundamentals and repeating over and over the basics.

I went to the range with a WOA upper for my AR-15 last year and had the worst range day I'd ever had.

By the time I was done I was ready to leave my gun in the rack and just leave.....it was THAT bad!!

I thought I'd checked everything but as it turns out, I hadn't tightened all the screws on my LaRue mount. When I found that out, I was VERY relieved to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to the range with a WOA upper for my AR-15 last year and had the worst range day I'd ever had.

By the time I was done I was ready to leave my gun in the rack and just leave.....it was THAT bad!!

I thought I'd checked everything but as it turns out, I hadn't tightened all the screws on my LaRue mount. When I found that out, I was VERY relieved to say the least. </div></div>

Unfortunately, I don't think miy issue was an equipment issue.

I'll be back out tomorrow with the right attitude and a jacket. For goodness sakes, bring a friggin' jacket Chris! It's December you idiot!

Think about it this way.

A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

Therefore;

A bad day at the range is better then a good day at work.

Besides, if our shooting was always perfect it wouldn't be much fun going to the Range after a while...
wink.gif

Yeh, really sucks to be you, punching holes in targets...
I've spent the last few days finishing a term project and studying for finals. Way more fun than shooting!

me too! (bad day)

oddly enough for my range there was NO wind, only 4-5 guys from 0800 to 1400. cold, but sunny. unfortunately one of those guys was shooting at my target, not once, but twice at the 50 and 100. that may have had something to do with my concentration!

did the .22 comps today, the 50 yarder was strangely high and left on every position, on the bench the 50 zero was right on. did better off hand than sitting or kneeling. i used the crummy rem subsonics at that range, never had so many misfires. about every 5th one.
mad.gif

@ 100, i should've done better, but nothing too disconcerning other than that guy that was shooting at my paper.

@ 200, my POI was way, way, way off from my usual dope, which set off all sorts of alarms in my head. actually HAD to use a 2dot holdover. gotta trust in the data for the next time out, probably "just one of those days". if it's still off, then i have a problem somewhere.
cry.gif

the only good things about today is i finalized some .308 reload data, so i can start cranking after christmas, and i found my favorite cleaning jag that i thought i lost last month.
smile.gif

hope i have a better day tomorrow squirrel hunting, probably end up with rabies.
frown.gif

i don't know i really enjoy going to work...can't wait for monday, guess i'm insane.

ooooohhh i reread your post, 3 of 42, i feel better
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hope i have a better day tomorrow squirrel hunting, probably end up with rabies.
frown.gif

</div></div>

LOL!!!
laugh.gif

Now that just tickled me to no end!!! LOL!!!
laugh.gif

You do have a way with words TP...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ooooohhh i reread your post, 3 of 42, i feel better
grin.gif

</div></div>

Yeah. REALLY bad day. I was hyped to go out and rectify it today, but the weather was terrible: high 30s and raining all to hell. I love shooting, but since my family nor life don't depend on it, days like this are spent inside and not at the range.

It's looking bad through the weekend, cold and snowy, so I'll likely have to wait until Wednesday (my range is closed Mon and Tues).

That said, I'm over it and know that I'll do better the next time out. I spend a while last night doing dry firing exercises and may have figured out a major issue with my trigger pull, as well as a way to rectify it. I'll let you know.