• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad Throat/Barrel?

Boss334OP

Infectious Agent
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
MN/ND
Carbon wrapped barrel from a newer but reputable company... Looks to me like throat/free bore wasn't cut properly or not concentric. Can an expert confirm before I go through the entire process of trying to get them to fix this? Thanks in advance.

WIN_20211229_21_38_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20211229_21_36_58_Pro.jpg

Have you sent the pics to the company asking them what it represents?

Have you sent the pics to the company asking them what it represents?
Yes, haven't heard back. Wanted third party opinions before they try to talk me into trying to "get it to shoot". Would really suck to waste time, $$$, and components on a bad barrel only to end up sending it in later.

Throw your fucking borescope away.

You really think that an off-center picture through a lens that has an unknown amount of distortion is proof or evidence of anything?

JFC
Looks pretty clear to me that the freebore area is not uniform. Regardless of where the lens was positioned, it is clear the lands are not equal. What sort of conspiracy do you think I'm running? Odd to get flamed for an honest question...

That looks pretty bad. I would send it back. Paying top dollar for a barrel it should be top quality. Plus Time and components are too expensive to "test" it.

I have a barrel that is slightly off similar to that and while it shoots just ok. I will forever wonder if it would have shot better had the freebore been cut more concentric.

Reactions: Boss334OP
That looks pretty bad. I would send it back. Paying top dollar for a barrel it should be top quality. Plus Time and components are too expensive to "test" it.

I have a barrel that is slightly off similar to that and while it shoots just ok. I will forever wonder if it would have shot better had the freebore been cut more concentric.
Helpful comment. Thank you!

Put the angle mirror on your borescope and shoot a couple pics of the lands, I somewhat agree with 308pirate its really tough to do anything other than speculate with an off center/angle pic that's distorted. I don't think things are right at all with this chambering but would like to see some more and yes I would agree I wouldn't want to waste components trying to figure out if it'll shoot if it truly does look like hammered shit from the get go.

Pics are terrible to judge from
As said put the 90 degrees head on and get better pics.

That said know this, I’ve had two barrels that had significant chamber misalignment and they both shot very well throughout their lives.
If it’s a $400ish barrel no biggie.
If you paid $700-800 it had better be perfect or a hammer.

Put the angle mirror on your borescope and shoot a couple pics of the lands, I somewhat agree with 308pirate its really tough to do anything other than speculate with an off center/angle pic that's distorted.
And how do I prove that I rotated at the exact same distance to show disparity in lands length? With the mirrors on you can see the "scalloped" shapes in the lands on one side of the freebore area and smooth on the other. Posted pictures are on opposite sides of chamber. Again, what weird conspiracy is there other than I want my shit to shoot?

And how do I prove that I rotated at the exact same distance to show disparity in lands length? With the mirrors on you can see the "scalloped" shapes in the lands on one side of the freebore area and smooth on the other. Posted pictures are on opposite sides of chamber. Again, what weird conspiracy is there other than I want my shit to shoot?

My guy I'm not trying to accuse you of anything I'm trying to see more than one shot of this chambering, take it down a notch... You should be able to get the 90 degree head on there and get a couple of the lands all in one pic. I don't think anyone is trying to disprove you but diagnosing an issue takes more than 1 shot with a borescope.

You don't know whether it does or it doesn't
You're ignoring the evidence provided and offering your opinion based on what? Had you just said " I have barrels that look like that and shot great" I might have listened but trolls gotta troll

Last edited:
My guy I'm not trying to accuse you of anything I'm trying to see more than one shot of this chambering, take it down a notch... You should be able to get the 90 degree head on there and get a couple of the lands all in one pic. I don't think anyone is trying to disprove you but diagnosing an issue takes more than 1 shot with a borescope.
Fair. I will try to get some decent pictures at 90*

Reactions: BoltRunner
Pics are terrible to judge from
As said put the 90 degrees head on and get better pics.

That said know this, I’ve had two barrels that had significant chamber misalignment and they both shot very well throughout their lives.
If it’s a $400ish barrel no biggie.
If you paid $700-800 it had better be perfect or a hammer.
~$700 and 6 months so yeah, not exactly impressed but not sure if major or minor issue

Im guessing your bullet will be touching lands on one side.

Many on here see borescopes as the bane of devices and the only thing that matters is "How does it shoot" which is kinda true.

Truth is also unless it shoots absolute bug holes you will never know if it is the barrel, the ammo, the shooter, the weather, the bipod, the whatever.

Me personally, im not testing, not taking chances, not settling for shoddy craftsmanship in hopes it works out in the end.

I have sent a barrel back because it had NO freebore. And they fixed it. Send it back, get it fixed. Dont wonder.

You're ignoring the evidence provided and offering your opinion based on what? Had you just said " I have barrels that look like that and shot great" I might have listened but trolls gotta troll
What evidence do you have that it doesn’t shoot if it hasn’t been shot?

What evidence do you have that it doesn’t shoot if it hasn’t been shot?
You want to show me where I made the claim it wouldn't? I am gathering data to see if it is worth trying. Not running my mouth

Many on here see borescopes as the bane of devices and the only thing that matters is "How does it shoot" which is kinda true.
A borescope is a tool. Improperly used it can give bad data, like any tool. This energy could be better used, explaining proper use and critiquing, rather that pretending that a new modern tool has no place in the hands of us “commoners”…..

My borescope is a cheap Lyman but has helped diagnose carbon ring issues and finally the removal of said issue, after many tries.

You want to show me where I made the claim it wouldn't? I am gathering data to see if it is worth trying. Not running my mouth
You said you had evidence to refute. I don’t see how you can when you haven’t shot it.

You would have been better off just contacting the barrel manufacturer first instead of putting this on the hide. Not to say the manufacturer shouldn’t be held accountable but they are the only ones who can solve your problem.

I can see coming to the forums if you can’t get any resolution and are willing to put all the cards (manufacturer/supplier/retailer/business) on the table so both sides can be heard.

You would have been better off just contacting the barrel manufacturer first instead of putting this on the hide. Not to say the manufacturer shouldn’t be held accountable but they are the only ones who can solve your problem.

I can see coming to the forums if you can’t get any resolution and are willing to put all the cards (manufacturer/supplier/retailer/business) on the table so both sides can be heard.
Already contacted (email and voicemail). Nothing after 2 weeks. I mean it is the holidays but...
Agreed, got impatient and wanted second opinions since it isn't going anywhere. Haven't flamed anyone, so what's the problem? Purely academic at this point

A borescope is a tool. Improperly used it can give bad data, like any tool. This energy could be better used, explaining proper use and critiquing, rather that pretending that a new modern tool has no place in the hands of us “commoners”…..

My borescope is a cheap Lyman but has helped diagnose carbon ring issues and finally the removal of said issue, after many tries.
Nah, just give it a couple ugga duggas and send it snowflake /s

Already contacted (email and voicemail). Nothing after 2 weeks. I mean it is the holidays but...
Agreed, got impatient and wanted second opinions since it isn't going anywhere. Haven't flamed anyone, so what's the problem? Purely academic at this point
The problem is that you have a barrel that may or may not be viable. Give it to the end of week of Jan3 and if they haven’t responded at all by then, id escalate (certified letter, forums, Facebook page etc. Disclose the manufacturer if you go this route; with any luck they will see it and reach out. If you keep it anonymous, they will have little to no way of knowing its one of their products that’s at issue (and no incentive to respond).

Also, have you checked to see if they are already a Hide member and if so, perhaps a Commercial supporter? If the manufacturer is on here, send a PM.

That has worked couple times for me in the past when I struck out via the regular channels.

Send it back. Leade of the rifling cut too far into the throat. The leade should be uniform, concentric and smooth to "guide" the bullet properly. Could it still shoot? Absolutely. Send it back though.

Honestly don't know how a throating reamer would've resulted in that though (unless the process was skipped or it was done by hand and the reamer/barrel wasn't spun 360*).

Side note: if you have a Teslong, you have to adjust with how far you screw the lens in and out to get really good focus.

Last edited:
I have had a shocking number of barrels/chambers that have significant flaws in them (three from one popular smith). All could have been caught well before the barrel made it's way to me if they had inspected the barrel/chamber. My shooting partner had experianced the same.

Bottom line, just because they have the tools to do the job doesn't mean they have the skill. But, even the best smiths may cut corners and not inspect the barrel.

Now, for the "non-borescope" crowd, I respect what you are saying. BUT, if I pay a top quality smith top quality prices, I expect TOP QUALITY PRODUCT. If it's anything less, then I want it made right.

As far as shooting the barrel, I wouldn't shoot it unless the smith asked me to do so. In your case, I wouldn't shoot it if the smith begged me too. That lead/throat looks like total garbage.

Finally, I would encourage you to exhaust all avenues with the smith before posting their information on a public forum.

If you want a quality barrel done right, reach out to Greg at Bugholes or Joe at Exodus.

Reactions: Boss334OP