• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad Transactions??

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I am almost scared to buy anything on line anymore. I have had two bad incidents back to back in the last ten days. I bought, or so I thought, a bow quiver on Ebay. Paid with PayPal and waited. Seller sent to it to my previous address and says "Too Bad". I even emailed him concerning correct address. The second incident was on another forum, I bought a, or so I thought, RCBS powder measure. I went to PO sent MO and waited. He said sent to PM one saying measure shipped with tracking # and one stating MO was a counterfeit and he stopped the shipment. I asked him for details and to return the MO but I haven't heard anything back yet. Can you belive the luck? No more buying unless it is from here. I guess I can't see anyone shipping anything until they first cashed the MO. Sounds like BS to me. Who knows? Watch out for ebay and the rest of the forums. Roll 'Hide!!

Re: Bad Transactions??

EXACTLY in line with my own experiences--have learned on the Hide
to ignore for sale ads with low post counts and research the
others for best results---moderators and other members have come
thru for me when there has been a problem---just stay away from
ebay and paypal and gunpal and send USPS money orders--I no longer purchase from vendors outside the Hide either. Very
few headaches this way

Well, some life lessons learned do come at a price now don't they? Unless it's a reputable company or a private sale with someone you know and trust, NEVER do business online. Face to face transactions are the smartest way. And it means a little more being able to shake hands after money and product have been exchanged.

I have an antique Shinto Shrine bell from japan for sale and a guy emailed me on craigslist about it - just knew by the typing accent that something was wrong, and of course he was going to pay with a forged check and wanted cash back...

I just got a message from the ebay guy and he said " You fu$ked up, I didn't" The worst part about the whole deal is the little bitch talks like one of my ex-wives. I think the next thing I will receive from him will be "Whatever.." I've sure heard that enough in my short fifty-one years.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had. As far as the Ebay purchase, If your old address was the one that Paypal had on file, then that's the one the seller would have to ship to. If not, you have 45 days to file a dispute with Paypal and they will probably get you your money back if you are in the right.

As far as the MO thing, do you still have the stub or reciept from the MO? You may be able to track it or at least see if the guy cashed it and is just giving you the runaround.
I have had 2 occasions where I got a really great deal on Ebay by bidding on an item from a seller with 0 feedback. One was a beautiful hand-made wooden chess board (walnut, cherry and birds eye maple) for $25, and the other was a Bogen Manfrotto Tripod with a QR ball head for $78. In these cases I got lucky, but I realize it could easily have gone the other way.

I have had somewhere around 100 transactions here on the Hide and have never gotten screwed. I usually find that any item I see on Ebay, I can find on the Hide (if I'm patient) and it's usually cheaper here. Aside from that, I would just pefer to deal with other members of our community.
As a side note: before I ever bought or sold a single item here on the Hide, I put up several items on the "Pay it Forward" thread. I don't really know if there is anything to the whole "karma" thing, but it sure didn't hurt!
Good luck, and I hope things work out for you.

I've got a nice product for you and cheap!

ab2qme.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just got a message from the ebay guy and he said " You fu$ked up, I didn't" The worst part about the whole deal is the little bitch talks like one of my ex-wives. I think the next thing I will receive from him will be "Whatever.." I've sure heard that enough in my short fifty-one years. </div></div>

Really though what can he do? I sounds like it was shipped to your address on file which is standard procedure as that would be the Paypal "verified" address. If he already shipped it it's kind of out of his hands at this point so pestering him will only net you crappy responses.

You are correct in fact I suppose. The deal is I asked him if he had my address, via email. I am not the most computer literate person in the world and I do admit that I have had PayPal issues. However, I guess it was just the " I got the money so tough sh!T" attitude he took from the start. On top of that 24hrcampfire douchebag who said my post office MO was counterfeit. I can just see myself in Joliet telling my fellow inmates, "I'm here because of a counterfeit $50 MO". I talk ed to the PO and they said it was probably their clerical error and it could be fixed easy enough but the guy hasn't returned my latest message. I have been lucky to this point. I never will buy anything of any significant cost though, i.e. a rifle, USO, etc. without better verification of the seller.

Instead of usps money orders, go to the bank (the only one I have experience us with my bank) get a certified bank check. After they out the name ask them to put "for.....". Then if you get f.ed, you can take it to court because you never got your item. My bank even said that they could get my money back if the deal goes south. Because when they sign that check, it is a legal contract, they are selling you x for y and signing it holds them to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct in fact I suppose. The deal is I asked him if he had my address, via email. I am not the most computer literate person in the world and I do admit that I have had PayPal issues. However, I guess it was just the " I got the money so tough sh!T" attitude he took from the start. On top of that 24hrcampfire douchebag who said my post office MO was counterfeit. I can just see myself in Joliet telling my fellow inmates, "I'm here because of a counterfeit $50 MO". I talk ed to the PO and they said it was probably their clerical error and it could be fixed easy enough but the guy hasn't returned my latest message. I have been lucky to this point. I never will buy anything of any significant cost though, i.e. a rifle, USO, etc. without better verification of the seller. </div></div>

Yeah, I think you can only do your best and sometimes problems arise that were unforeseen. I would suspect that if you ask the asshole guy nicely he would re-send the item to you when it eventually gets returned to him, you'll prob have to foot the shipping bill but that's no biggie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just got a message from the ebay guy and he said " You fu$ked up, I didn't" </div></div>

I'm going to have to side with him on that one.
You didn't update your shipping address in Ebay/PayPal and he shipped it to that address.

Someone got it and wasn't honest enough to refuse or return the shipment.
Not the seller's problem.

What should he do?
Drive over there and ask whoever is living there now if they received the item?

YOU fucked up.

Well I thought I fucked up but I think I was mistaken. I just checked my PayPal account profile and my correct address is on it. I wonder if this is an Ebay thing rather than Paypal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I thought I fucked up but I think I was mistaken. I just checked my PayPal account profile and my correct address is on it. I wonder if this is an Ebay thing rather than Paypal </div></div>

Somewhere he got the old addy. Keep searching.

Well I did have two addresses listed on Ebay. I find it funny that when I asked him if he had my address, he didn't hesitate. He is from MI, I am from MI and he sent it to my old address in CO. I talked to the PO in CO and they said the carrier shouldn't have dropped it with the last name being different. They are checking with the carrier. I will no more tomorrow. The PO also stated in the other matter that all I need to do is to bring in the receipts and they will square it away. They also said it was probably a clerical error on their part, by not entering numbers in a certain sequence. If you guys are tired of this I will quit reporting. I was thinking that any gathered intel might be helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, some life lessons learned do come at a price now don't they? Unless it's a reputable company or a private sale with someone you know and trust, NEVER do business online. Face to face transactions are the smartest way. And it means a little more being able to shake hands after money and product have been exchanged. </div></div>

Any more Wisdom you care to Share with us,Maser?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, some life lessons learned do come at a price now don't they? Unless it's a reputable company or a private sale with someone you know and trust, NEVER do business online. Face to face transactions are the smartest way. And it means a little more being able to shake hands after money and product have been exchanged. </div></div>

I disagree. I have had multiple transactions here for high dollar amounts and never had a problem, so far. It's about what type of person you are dealing with. Someone can screw you over in a FTF transaction just as easily as shipping to each other.

But I guess when you get screwed out of multiple hamster cages and teddy bears.... the online purchasing must be a sore subject for you Maser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any more Wisdom you care to Share with us,Maser?</div></div>

Common sense is not wisdom. It should be a given.
smile.gif

Had a young kid stiff me one time on ebay for a trike rear end, $790. got the cops in on it, then the cops in the town he lived in. He got arrested and sent to boot camp then skipped state. 5 yrs later i get a call from the sheriffs dept say they got him in custody with a wad of cash. Court ordered him to pay me back and the judge said to send me my money, got it all back i was lucky. The kid also had a pocket full of crack and heroin he is a guest of the state of SC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any more Wisdom you care to Share with us,Maser?</div></div>

Common sense is not wisdom. It should be a given.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Commonsense is not something that can be acquired,you are an obvious example of that.Any Idiot that calls himself "Binky Boy",Raises Rodents for sex toys,and stammers for 30 seconds at the end of a critique on SH and still posts that drivel damn sure has no commonsense or wisdom.

UPDATE The MO is being sent back to me. The Ebay package was returned to sender. At least I will get my money for the powder measure back. Might even get the quiver, for some more shipping $$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE The MO is being sent back to me. The Ebay package was returned to sender. At least I will get my money for the powder measure back. Might even get the quiver, for some more shipping $$. </div></div>

I figured it would work out, I've had minor problems in the past and they usually work themselves out.

Knock on wood, I've had very positive experiences dealing with people on the net. I THOUGHT one dude stiffed me on a ridiculously low priced bow sight light, once. Come to find out it actually was lost in the USP system (imagine THAT). I have had very positive experiences here on The Hide, Auction Arms, Gunbroker, E-Bay all. I hardly leave the house to buy anything these days. MOST people are honest, I've found....OR I'm just fortunate.

Sorry for your problems,hope you get it worked out.In the last year,I've sold lots of stuff,some of it expensive,on this site and a few others.I have also bought a few things.All of my deals worked out ok.USPS was a little slow delivering something that I sold once,and I was getting worried,but I stayed in contact with the guy and it finally arrived.I also had a guy that was real slow shipping something to me,but I think there was a hospital stay involved,probably his reason for selling.I usually will take a check from other members and even mail the goods before recieving the funds,so the low post count does not mean everything. Pete

Wow, I must hae been lucky with all my WWW. purchases I have only had one problem and had my bank be on watch for the transfer to see if anything looked hinky they said it did and I said stop the transfer, they retracted it and the scam was busted with FBI or somebody like that got involved. I purchased a set of sights from here and a MRP upper from gbroker and I had the products shipped the day I mailed the payment.I also scanned and sent a copy of the Certified Checks just to make them feel at ease also! So glad to hear everthing seems to be working out for you now! SnipersHide is a great place to deal and get info from!

new member here wanted me to sell him my uso and ship it to a different country, I told him sure but will not ship until funds are clear and he replied he wasn't interested anymore........f**k it moved on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new member here wanted me to sell him my uso and <span style="font-weight: bold">ship it to a different country</span>, I told him sure but will not ship until funds are clear and he replied he wasn't interested anymore........f**k it moved on. </div></div>

I hope you were just BSing him on actually sending it overseas.

Being new on this forum myself, I wouldn't try to buy off anyone without going through the "funds must clear first before shipment" process myself. Price to pay for being a newbee without an established good reputation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a counterfeit Postal Money Order from a guy on this site three or four years ago.
smirk.gif

It was only for $40 bucks, so it wasn't cost-effective to fly out to California to burn his house down. </div></div>

Damn California.......

over the years I have bought and sold on E-Bay and other sites also. I tricked out my Harley with parts from E-Bay. I guess I was very lucky for I never had a deal go bad.
I have bought several items from members here also with no problems. In fact the people here have been the best to deal with. When you send someone 1500 dollars for a scope you had better have some sort of trust in the person you are dealing with.
As with every other buy-sell site there will be people here trying to rip you off. I bielive that the mods. are doing the best to weed them out. If you are an honest person you will be one no matter what your post count.