• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger 2008+Surgeon DBM=stiff feeding

Dennis_in_VA

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I am putting together a Badger M2008 chambered in 300 Win Mag. I'm using a Surgeon DBM. My dilemma is that the rounds feed stiff from a full mag and get easer as the mag empties. I feel that the feed lips need to be altered somewhat. The front end of the round goes in towards the chamber and looks like it is not being released from the mag until the bolt tries to bend the round into position.

In addition to the lips on the mag needing adjustment, I feel that the feed ramp might need some attention as well.

Have any of you experienced this or even have the same build?

Let's hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

Re: Badger 2008+Surgeon DBM=stiff feeding

Altering the ramp is the last thing you want to do. The feed lips need to be adjusted to allow the round to be presented in a more nose up position. As the nose/HP moves up the feed ramp the head of the case pivots down compressing the mag spring. That's why it gets easier the fewer rounds you have in the mag. Brownells sells the H S Precision tool that woks very well. Just open up the lips slightly leaving the rear as is.

I made a tool by using the bandsaw to cut a groove in a piece of steel. Put the lip in the slot that you cut and bend away. Like Dave said, leave the rear gap alone and open up the front only. It doesnt take much so go slow. First though I would check and make sure the mag is seated all the way in. There should'nt be much clearance between the top of the feed lips and the bottom of the bolt body. Maybe apply upward pressure to the bottom of the mag while feeding a dummy round and see if that helps. If it does then maybe you need a deeper inlet on your action or bottom metal. Good luck keep us posted.

Nope, mag is as deep as it can go without the bolt hanging up on the follower when empty. The height is just about as perfect as I can get it. Marty said that the bottom metal had to be parallel with the bottom of the receiver. I am going to tweak the mag lips to see if it helps. That first round coming off a full mag is really hard to get going.

Wish I had a Badger DBM so I could compare the function of the two DBM's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope,<span style="font-weight: bold"> mag is as deep as it can go without the bolt hanging up on the follower when empty</span>. The height is just about as perfect as I can get it. Marty said that the bottom metal had to be parallel with the bottom of the receiver. I am going to tweak the mag lips to see if it helps. That first round coming off a full mag is really hard to get going.

Wish I had a Badger DBM so I could compare the function of the two DBM's.

</div></div>

Then you are not quite deep enough. The bolt should hang on the back of the follower when empty.
P1040123.jpg

OH Really?

Why?

Is the bolt lock back on the follower an empty mag indicator?

Have you paired the Badger M2008 and Surgeon DBM before?

OK, lets just say that I had the magazine up high enough so that the bolt did engage the follower and the feeding was still hard with the first couple of rounds. Would you still tweak the feed lips on the magazine?

I really appreciate your input on this topic.

Thanks.

You can sand your follow down to keep it from snagging but my 300WM Badger build runs like a champ. Sounds like your DBM is not set deep enough in the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can sand your follow down to keep it from snagging but my 300WM Badger build runs like a champ. Sounds like your DBM is not set deep enough in the stock. </div></div>

Which DBM are you using on that rifle?

I have a badger m2008 in 338lm with badger m5 dbm and it locks open on empty mags just like it should.

I was using Surgeon..... but have since changed to a KMW Sentinel Stock with matching DBM

ALLRIGHT!

That is an important piece of information.

The bolt IS supposed to lock back on an empty mag.

I will have to make the inlet in the T4A deeper than it is so this can happen.

Since the Surgeon DBM is pretty much sitting flush with the stock, I will have to make the inlet for the action a smidgen deeper.

I'm going to get my pillars correct (outside of the stock) and re-check for function.

The magazine must sit in the proper location to function as designed. It doesn't matter what bottom metal you use to hold it there.

Dennis,

Basiclly, you want just a slight bit of magazine wiggle, in and out. Yes, with the 300WM magazines follower will stop the bolt from forward movemnet on an empty magazine. You can cut a slight 45 at the rear top edge of the follower if you dont like this feature.

Sounds like your inlett isnt deep enough.