• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Badger 30mm Unimount

johnhilterman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Hidesters,

Just got said scope mount in the mail from Triad and I've got a question. The top portion of the ring is slightly smaller in diameter than the bottom. In other words, the two halves don't exactly line up. Is this normal??? Would seem to me that both halves should be exactly 30mm in diameter in order to prevent pinching the scope tube. What am I missing?

Hitman

Re: Badger 30mm Unimount

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hitman321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hidesters,

Just got said scope mount in the mail from Triad and I've got a question. The top portion of the ring is slightly smaller in diameter than the bottom. In other words, the two halves don't exactly line up. Is this normal??? Would seem to me that both halves should be exactly 30mm in diameter in order to prevent pinching the scope tube. What am I missing?

Hitman </div></div>

When the correct torque value is applied to the ring screws, typically the ring halves will not meet, but instead present a small gap on each side. Badger simply took this into account when designing the rings and sized to ensure maximum contact surface between rings and scope.

You mean when the correct torque value is NOT applied right? I'm no mechanical engineer but man it sure seems like a lot of travel those rings will have to undergo under a minimal amount of torque.

It's normal. The ring top and bottom won't meet when your tighten them. There will be a gap.

Not the Unimount but you get the idea
P1010080-1.jpg

Rob,

Think we're talking apples and oranges here. Here are the dimensions I'm talking about, slightly exaggerated to make my point:

Screenshot2012-03-15at13926PM.png

The outer edges and screw holes line up perfectly but the inner diameters don't. If ya'll are telling me things will "line up" under torque, I'll believe ya. Just wanted to make sure before I crank down on a $3k scope!

Thanks for the patience!

Hitman

It's by design and completely normal for Badger rings. If you look carefully, you'll see the horizontal split between the ring bottoms and tops is not on the center of the circle, but above center slightly.

Because of this, if the bottom half followed the contour of the scope (perfect circle) all the way to their tops, the opening would be narrower than the diameter of the scope--you wouldn't be able to get the scope into the rings. So, Badger flattens out the radius near the tops of the bottom halves to provide clearance.

Again, nothing to worry about.

Ah, okay Jon, I follow your logic there. Curious if other high end mounting systems use the same methodology, i.e. Seekins, Spuhr, NF, etc.