• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing badger action coatings

sab9259

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
NC
Im getting ready to build on a M2008, what is everyone using to coat their Badgers? Has anyone had any trouble with cerakote on a Badger?

Thanks

Re: badger action coatings

Only the bolt.

Tolerances are pretty tight. If you coat the bolt you will likely feel some stickiness until it wears in.

Yes. If you cerakote both the receiver and bolt, it'll feel slicker than snot when its oiled and sitting in the confines of your mancave, but will bind like a virgin ice-queen when subjected to field conditions.

My GAP snipershide Valkyrie had been coated both bolt/action. It was pretty bad. Sent the bolt in to BO where they ground the OD of the bolt body .002" (eliminating the coating and also increasing clearance further), and it was FIXED.

Another option is to have both bolt/action ion-bonded, which is super thin, and super slick. Many folks have reported excellent success with this action and that coating.

I have a pair in the works now and both are being done in ion bond.

Thanks for the information guys, has anyone ever had any experience with ROBAR's coatings?

I'd say the thinner the better, M2008's have zilch for bolt body clearance, which can be construed as a bad thing, but I have rarely had mine gum up... yadda yadda

Ion-Bond is ballpark 2 microns thick... That's .00008"...

I've read of 1911's being too tight after being coated with NP3.
I'm not sure how thick it is though.

I'd say Cerakote & the likes would be too thick if applied in a manner which would give you any kind of durability over time.

Matt, do you think ion-bond is the only way to go? Or could the action be cerakoted and the bolt be ion-bonded?

For ONE coating all around, I'd suggest either Melonite or IonBond.

You could go with anything under the sun for your barreled action, I would just suggest not coating the bolt or any of its components with something thick.

If you are suspect on any coating, call Badger, those guys will bend over backwards for you.

Also, there is an IonBond distributor who works out of Denton, NC by the name of Chad Buie, owner of Club Custom Guns who did mine.
He could probably answer any specifics on that coating.

And tell Gray he cleans his rifle too much.

Sweet, denton isnt but 30 minutes from my smith. Ha ive told gray since day one he cleans them too much..if he spent that much effort on his wife...nevermind thats a different story for when you come back and shoot with us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For ONE coating all around, I'd suggest either Melonite or IonBond.

You could go with anything under the sun for your barreled action, I would just suggest not coating the bolt or any of its components with something thick.

If you are suspect on any coating, call Badger, those guys will bend over backwards for you.

Also, there is an IonBond distributor who works out of Denton, NC by the name of Chad Buie, owner of Club Custom Guns who did mine.
He could probably answer any specifics on that coating.

And tell Gray he cleans his rifle too much. </div></div>

I've spoken to Marty @ BO about this. His words:

- Don't cerakote both receiver and bolt, it's too thick, and the bolt will bind

- Ion bond is awesome

- He doesn't endorse melonite, though he doesn't hate it either. The issue is that cooking steel @ 1050*F for 30 minutes makes metal move. BO has no control over who does the melonite, nor do they have control of the tolerances or the geometry of the parts during the process. The temper of the metal won't be ruined, so it's ok from that standpoint, but your precision-machined action that is geometrically perfect, might not be anymore after melonite.