• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger Action

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I've read a lot of the posts about this action, including the current pissing match about it vs. the AI. In short, it seems like a good action and most of the issues, which seem to be miniscule appear to be related to the Gen I and corrected with the Gen II. At this time, I am between this action and a Stiller Tac 30 for my next build, a 243 Win. What I need clarification on is the ability to change barrels. It seems this was possible with the Gen I, but not with the Gen II. Is this correct? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the BO actions are running price wise right now?

Re: Badger Action

You can change barrels with either. Just not between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Apparently I missed the pissing match, but I've owned both and highly recommend the AI.

+1 on barrel changes.
I know the Badger Gen I is a good action. I own three and have had no trouble at all.
I am about to find out about the AI, as I just bought one.
I wanted to drink the same kool aid as JasonK!
He's my AI & Hensoldt hero
smile.gif

You can change barrels with almost anything. It's just that some actions (re: Rem 700) require a jig ($25-$50) to hold the recoil lug in place when you screw it on and others with integral or pinned lugs (eg: Badger, Surgeon) don't.

The biggest outstanding issue I would have with the badger, assuming you don't mind the weight or hefty bolt lift, is the tolerances. The thing is machined with such tight tolerances it absolutely must be well lubricated and perfectly clean to operate. Let the bolt dry out or get some sand in the action and it will seize up on you. Fine for benchrest but not really suitable for field use, IMHO. Getting the bolt fluted and/or turning it down a thou on a lathe will help greatly with this.

Also, it's very long. I had issues with bonking myself in the nose occasionally when operating the bolt. If I wanted to move my head while cycling the action I would have gone ahead and gotten a LA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read a lot of the posts about this action, including the current pissing match about it vs. the AI. In short, it seems like a good action and most of the issues, which seem to be miniscule appear to be related to the Gen I and corrected with the Gen II. At this time, I am between this action and a Stiller Tac 30 for my next build, a 243 Win. What I need clarification on is the ability to change barrels. It seems this was possible with the Gen I, but not with the Gen II. Is this correct? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the BO actions are running price wise right now? </div></div>

I have both of those actions. If you want to try either out, let me know. The Stiller is well worn in and is butter smooth and the Badger is relatively new and is getting well broken in. The bolt lift is a little stiff, but not too bad now.

I have a few and all are switch barrel rifles. It's really easy to swap barrels out and another benefit is you can order a barrel from a smith and they can chamber it up and send it to you without seeing the receiver as long as they cut it 100% to spec, similar to the AI's.

I'll throw a Bighorn in the mix, and I am local to you too.

I agree with Ratbert.

It does make a fine switch barrel rig.

Honestly, mine shoots like a BR rig. The accuracy is phenomenal. And with phenomenally accurate actions come the typical BR descriptors: HEAVY and TIGHT.

The M2008 is both. And the same can be said about other big name precision actions (BAT, Surgeon, etc)

It is a great action, one you will not be disappointed with.

We have one here of course, and it's a very nice action. Ours isn't overly tight, but I mag phosphated the bolt and action instead of coating it. I agree that you can switch barrel anything, but the way the M2008 headspaces means you can order a barrel over the phone like an AI.

Yeah it could stand to lose some weight but there's ways to do that if you have a mill. It is over built in several areas.
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Honestly, mine shoots like a BR rig. The accuracy is phenomenal. And with phenomenally accurate actions come the typical BR descriptors: HEAVY and TIGHT.

The M2008 is both. And the same can be said about other big name precision actions (BAT, Surgeon, etc)

</div></div>

Well, except that Surgeon's aren't particularly tight. They're specifically designed for field guns.

I love my M2008s but you will get no argument on Surgeon from me. I just got a Scalpel and it is a great action. They are also some of the best in the industry to deal with.

Bacarrat and JPipes,

Thanks for the offer as I would like to take both of you up on it. The Big Horn was another action I have considered. For those that mentioned the Surgeon, there stuff is great. I just wanted something a little different this time.

PM inbound to you guys.

I just got off the phone with Marty at Badger and the new batch of actions are ready to ship today. I think he said they have 400 ready to go. My order is inbound!!! $1024 shipped