• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger Bottom Metal

105amatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Asleep in KS
Right now I have my 700 at GAP getting rebarreled and cerakoted. I have seen pics of Badger's bottom metal on many rifles around here. Now, I don't shoot any tactical matches, would I benefit from having the M4 or M5 version put on my gun, except looking bad ass.

-Matt

Re: Badger Bottom Metal

A DBM system holds some distinct advantages for shooters that compete in tactical rifle matches as well as those that use their rifles to go in harms way. These advantages include, but are not limited to, easy loading, easy unloading to make the weapon safe, a higher magazine capacity, and an ability to seat bullets to longer lengths. Some disadvantages to the DBM systems are generally the cost of the bottom metal, the installation, and additional magazines, because one is never enough. Now some of the advantages that a DBM provide also turn into disadvantages such as when seating bullets out too far the nose can actucally catch on the bottom of the feed ramp on some rifles causing it to tip and not feed into the chamber. The solution is to either load rounds to a standard OAL or notch the feed ramp but that is an additional cost so it's something to consider. I've used both the Badger M4 and M5 and I'd say that in general I'm happy to have made the switch to a DBM system. I'll be honest though, I bought the M5 for pretty much one reason and that was a timed seven shot stage at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge. For me having a 10 round magazine meant not having to fumble with additional loose rounds while trying to find a target on a hillside under time. I'd say though that for someone that doesn't plan to compete in tactical rifle matches or use their rifle for work (.mil/LEO) then a DBM system begins to make less and less sense and I'd recommend a something like the Badger M4.

well, i think i'm going to order the m5, i will sleep on it for a couple days however. keep the thoughts coming, thanks.

-matt

If you are not using your rifle in a tactical match it would be a waste of money.

TriggerMonkey and Recoil both have valid points of view.

I have been seriously considering DBM conversion of a Rem 700 I'm currently using as a single-shot in F-TR matches so I can give Across-the-Course matches a try with a bolt gun. That is timed competition with rapid fire stages and mandatory reloads.

Since, for any magazine-fed weapon, it is foolish to depend on one magazine, multiple magazines are a must. For peace of mind I have seven or eight magazines for my 1911, as an example.

Badger, Surgeon, Seekins,etc. Inletting costs, cost of additional magazines (I would not be comfortable with less than 3 to 5) and shipping costs all add up to making the conversion to DBM financially out of the question, for me, anyway.

Not a verdict one way or the other, just my point of view.

Paul

It will be different for every person. I bought one for a rifle just because my other rifle is in a AICS stock. Now they all use same magazine so it simplified things for me.

Thats a good point, it probably is a waste of money to get the M5 since i dont shoot tac matches. Would the gun see any benefit from the M4 metal over the factory metal? Thanks guys.

-Matt

Just about anything is an improvement over the factory BDL bottom metal. The latching mechanism is head over heels stronger and less prone to accidentally drop all the rounds out of the bottom. The materials that a Badger M4 is made from also mean that the action screws can be torqued to 65 in/lbs time and time again without the potential for cracking. Having the Badger M4 isn't going to automatically make your rifle more accurate but it will be an improvement in the durability department for sure.

The williams one piece is a nice part also. I have run one for years. They are made of steel and normally don't require much work to make them fit. They will save you some cash compared to badger but they give up nothing in quality. As far as unloading its easy, just get the obendorf model. Get a midway usa code from the equipment forum and order away. A quality floorplate is a worthy investment. Steel will not fracture around the screw holes like some factory fp's. I dont think they are slow to shoot either. They just require a different loading technique that is not allowed in competitions. You also dont have to worry about losing your mag. Just my .02

I have a rifle with the Badger M4 and a rifle with the Manners mini-chassis (basically Badger M5). I also run Alpha mags in my manners mini-chassis. I don't reload and only shoot factory ammunition. Here are my observations:

1. Ten round magazines are nice for prone shooting

2. Ten round magazines are nice for moving or multiple target engagements. (If shooting at more than five targets obviously)

3. detach mags gives you faster reloads

4. Floorplate is lower profile

5. Floorplate is cheaper ($305 for M4, compared to $360 for MCS and $248 for 4 Alpha Mags = $608)

6. Floorplate is better for positional shooting IMHO (sometimes that magazine can get in the way)

7. You can't lose a floorplate but you can drop/lose a magazine in the field (I understand floorplate springs can and do break from time to time, but its pretty easy to drop a magazine compared to breaking spring)

8. I can load one round approximately every 2 sec. or less with a floorplate, so about 10 secs for 5 rounds loaded. I can load a full ten round magazine into my rifle in less than 4 secs.

9. Even though I have 4 ten round magazines I want more, like 6 more which will add to the overall cost of bottom metal.

10. If you only have one magazine, I can load my floorplate faster then having to remove my one and only empty magazine, top off said magazine, and re-insert magazine into rifle.

The first rifle I built I used the M4 floorplate because I felt it made the rifle "more durable/reliable". Now with that said I don't think the Badger M5 is unreliable as I have never had a problem with feeding or anything, so I don't know if I would buy into the Floorplate being a more reliable design. Also people usually say dirt can get into the action easier with detach mag bottom metal. My thought is if dirt is coming in from the bottom metal than its probably coming in from the top of the action as well.

My biggest question to you would be, how much do want to spend on bottom metal? You can become very proficient with reloading the M4 floorplate, where detach magazines can get very expensive. I love my M4 but I also love my M5. If I could only pick one I would still go with the M4 Floorplate, I just like how it keeps the rifle a little bit simpler.

Thank you for the words sir, that is a great post. I think that after much thought, I will call Ken at GAP and add the M5 setup to my work order. Yeah, its going to add to the cost of things, but I usually go with the thinking if you don't get what you really want, you will never be happy with it. Who knows, maybe some day I will get a AI rifle and get some more use out of those mags.

-Matt