• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger FTE modification

jgobbels

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Hoover, AL
How hard is the steel on the FTE? I need get one and then modify it for .308

I don't want to waste my time if this is something that needs to be done by a smith.

Anyone opened these up themselves?

Best,

John~

Re: Badger FTE modification

It's not a simple thread on brake. You need a lathe to properly install this brake.

My barrel is ready for it, just need to open it up to .308

Thanks,

John~

you could open it yourself enough to make it work, but it you want to maximize its performance, you will want to use a lathe and make sure the new opening is concentric to the threads. You will also want a minimum clearance so it redirects as much of the escaping gas as possible. I can't imagine this would be a difficult job for a qualified smith, so not likely to be overly expensive. The other thing that may be possible is to sell your current one and then order a .308 one in new.

Dave

Thanks for the responses. A bit out of my league and I'll leave it for the professionals.

I also thought that these were all .22 and needed opened up for your respective caliber.

I didn't know I could get one that was already opened up for .308-

Thanks,

John~

IIRC, the barrel needs to be set up in a lathe on the axis of the bore, the brake installed, and the baffles opened to .020" over bullet dia.

i think they all come with a small hole in the baffles, so the 'smith will have to fit any of them to the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also thought that these were all .22 and needed opened up for your respective caliber.
</div></div>

i think you are correct about that.