• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger M2008 - 338 Norma Magnum Build - New Pics

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Well, here it is, just got it today and shipping it off tomorrow for Ionbonding but thought I'd snap a quick picture. A big thanks to Travis of R-Bros Rifles for doing great work as always....and doing it fast.

Badger Lapua Mag Action, chambered for 338 Norma Mag
Rock - 1-9.4"tw - 1000 yards contour, fluted, about 28" finish
AICS 2.0

Anyway....haven't seen many out there yet (Badgers or Norma Mags) so I'm excited to get it back from the coating process and run some rounds through her. I sure like how those long bullets look in the mag compared to the Lapua Mags, I'll get a picture of those soon too.

And for those wondering, it'll wear a Premier 5-25.

6pnt5u.jpg

2n1g9ie.jpg

Re: Badger M2008 - 338 Norma Magnum Build

Looks great! The FTE looks dwarfed compared to the barrel. Can't wait for the range report.

Jasonk, that looks awesome. Where are you getting it Ionbonded? Will the Ion bonding extend the barrel life? Thanks!

Love those Badger AICS builds. This one takes the cake.

Hey Jason,

That is one bad stick! You progressive thinker you. Why no melanite coating? It is mo betta. They can do the bore too! You may get a few more miles out of her.

Jason

Let me know when your ready to sell it
wink.gif

Seriously though..... I want to be the first to know.

Another Awesome build there Jason

i thought you were going to do a lapua, why did you end up going norma?

Jason,

You have great taste in rifles and cartridges,as usual!Now your 6x47L has a big brother.
Lookin good man!

Steve

Wish I had your money.

Big daddy fat sacks in the houssssseeeeeee!

Shootone....just read the 338 Norma Mag thread in the 1000 yards plus section, made sense to me given the 3.6 mag length for AICS mags (and Badger actions) right now.

JRose....you do have my money, I just buy and sell more than most, rifle ADD. I've seen your collection, I've got nothing on you!

It looks great man, nice choice in glass. I want to see some glamour shots when it's ready to rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JRose....you do have my money, I just buy and sell more than most, rifle ADD. I've seen your collection, I've got nothing on you! </div></div>

I just steal pics of other peoples rifle's and post them as my own. God love this internet...

In actuality, all I own is a PSS with a MK3 Leupold.

WOW!

Looks great Jason! Why must you continue to try and make me hate you?....
smile.gif
Baahaahahaa!

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wheres the new pics JASON!?!?! </div></div>

Rifle is in transit via UPS....should be in my hands Tuesday.

Premier 5-25 arrived this week.

Expect pics Wednesday or Thursday at the latest
laugh.gif

Thanks, wildcats!

Can't wait to see it in all black with the glass on it. I'm excited to shoot it, got some ammo all loaded up and ready to provide you guys with a range report.

i'm also taking delivery next week of my new Surgeon XL in 300 win mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well?</div></div>

LOL...I shot it today, forgot my camera, will get some pics and a range report soon. Shot good for first day out....turned lots of heads at the range.

What a Spectacular Rifle!

Would be interested in knowing what the rifle's total weight is with a full magazine, and sling; plus what velocities your were getting, also some ballpark load data.

That is one deeply fluted barrel; looks great and I'm sure saves a pound or so. Does the Badger action have a cant built into the picatinny rail?

Badger M2008 - 338 Norma Magnum Build - New Pics

Alright, short post, but some quick details. So far I'm very impressed with Ionbond, will add more to that later.

Range report, shot RL22, RL25 and Ramshot Magnum. Accuracy potential seems to be there with R25 but need to work up the speed a little. R22 had the best speed and I'm trying some additional R22 and R25 loads Wednesday. I thought RSM was supposed to be the good stuff for 338 Norma but I got flattened primers big time with my starting load and so so velocity.

I'll weigh it and post more info soon, new pics are below.

2e4f5oo.jpg

24ax2er.jpg

24cgww4.jpg

Re: Badger M2008 - 338 Norma Magnum Build - New Pics

Turned out great Jason!

I wonder how H-1000 would do?It has much better load density and velocity in my 30-375R compared to R-25.

Steve

Sweet!

Interesting on the RSM. I am getting a little over 2800 with 92.5. That seemed a little warm, but no flat primers.... they are all different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting on the RSM. I am getting a little over 2800 with 92.5. That seemed a little warm, but no flat primers.... they are all different.</div></div>

I'll get some pics....slower and way flatter than the other two. May investigate some H1000.

bad ass rifle bro, man practically an AI rifle for what, 1/2 price pretty much???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bad ass rifle bro, man practically an AI rifle for what, 1/2 price pretty much???</div></div>

I truly feel the AI deserves more respect than that, mine is a very similar look alike, but I wouldn't call it an AI. AI has some unique features that still make it better, but yes this is a good value for a guy like me who's life does not depend on it.

Could you take a pic of the necks of your brass while you are at it Jason.

Even at 92.5 RSM the necks on mine were smoked....bad...which I am told is a sign of not <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">enough</span> pressure...or something like that. Opinions solicited.

Again, great looking rifle. (need more pics though)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you take a pic of the necks of your brass while you are at it Jason.

Even at 92.5 RSM the necks on mine were smoked....bad...which I am told is a sign of not <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">enough</span> pressure...or something like that. Opinions solicited.

Again, great looking rifle. (need more pics though)</div></div>

I will, mine are smoked too, put I'm telling you it's interesting how much flatter the primers were with RSM. I think I'm on the lands or even into them a hair, that could be driving my pressures up.

Shooting today, more range reports coming.

Jason,

What brass are you using? On longrangehunting.com there was a thread several weeks ago in which the max velocity potential of the .338LM was discussed. Kirby Allen, gunsmith, who has been in the hunt for max velocity since the early days of that forum, and I discovered in in 99/00, mentions how Lapua brass is so hard it will not show pressure signs until they are dangerously high already.

I mention this thread because Hornady brass should be the solution for load work-up, as it will reliably show pressure variation.

If you are getting primer deformation with Lapua brass you are likely way over 65k psi and who knows what these stresses will deliver eventually?

The .338 Lapua is rather extreme in my book because of how little extra is delivered from all the excesses it requires. I sold my 2 RUM rifles, and .30-378 because the pay-off was not enough. Each to their own, but risking blowing up or pressure-stressing receiver and barrel meant for lesser pressure realms cannot be a longterm plan. Seems to me if Sierra's accuracy load for the .338LM is not enough you need a Chey-Tac case to deliver the goods. I've found the .338/300win does all I could ask or did ask of my .338rum and with better efficiency to my needs.

Try load workup using Hornady brass and stay safe!

It's the 338 Norma mag....not Lapua mag. Norma is the only one who makes brass for it at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason,

What brass are you using? On longrangehunting.com there was a thread several weeks ago in which the max velocity potential of the .338LM was discussed. Kirby Allen, gunsmith, who has been in the hunt for max velocity since the early days of that forum, and I discovered in in 99/00, mentions how Lapua brass is so hard it will not show pressure signs until they are dangerously high already.

I mention this thread because Hornady brass should be the solution for load work-up, as it will reliably show pressure variation.

If you are getting primer deformation with Lapua brass you are likely way over 65k psi and who knows what these stresses will deliver eventually?

The .338 Lapua is rather extreme in my book because of how little extra is delivered from all the excesses it requires. I sold my 2 RUM rifles, and .30-378 because the pay-off was not enough. Each to their own, but risking blowing up or pressure-stressing receiver and barrel meant for lesser pressure realms cannot be a longterm plan. Seems to me if Sierra's accuracy load for the .338LM is not enough you need a Chey-Tac case to deliver the goods. I've found the .338/300win does all I could ask or did ask of my .338rum and with better efficiency to my needs.

Try load workup using Hornady brass and stay safe! </div></div>

Hey Swamper jus soes ya know..... The badger action was built specifically with those cases and preasures in mind. It has a bigger bolt diameter than some cheytac actions. It also is one of the most over built actions you could ever find! Also I think you will find a deeper knowledge pool over here also. There are a few guys that have actually designed weapon systems for the millitary here. The other sight you speak of is a whole lot of advertisement. This sight actually contains some UNbiased info.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bad ass rifle bro, man practically an AI rifle for what, 1/2 price pretty much???</div></div>

I truly feel the AI deserves more respect than that, mine is a very similar look alike, but I wouldn't call it an AI. AI has some unique features that still make it better, but yes this is a good value for a guy like me who's life does not depend on it.

</div></div>

I wasn't trying to down play the AI rifles. but, for what I would use it for, it is as good as an AI. because as you said, imma guy whos life doesnt depend on it.

I know hunter223, looking back sorry if I implied that, just want others to know too that the original deserves its props
wink.gif

I believe my reaction to you new build is best expressed by The Continental, as protrayed by Christopher Walken-

"oh wow. wowie wow!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know hunter223, looking back sorry if I implied that, just want others to know too that the original deserves its props
wink.gif
</div></div>

No problem brother. We're GTG NICE RIFLE any more pics? weight etc. I'm thinking of a very similar build myself actualy and would love some more specifics when you wring it out a lil more.

Does the AICS need a lot of work to fit the action?
Thanks