• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger M4/M5 Bottom Metal Questions

kill_goose

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
MT
A couple quick questions....

Does the M4 come with spring, mag follower, and mag box, or does it implement those factory parts?

Does the M4 system allow for a longer COAL like the M5 system compared to the factory system?

Thanks

Re: Badger M4/M5 Bottom Metal Questions

Last time I bought one it didn't come with those extra parts. Don't bother with the m-4. Get an m-5 DBM system and be happy

Actually im looking to replace an M5 and figured the M4 would fit the stock inlet without alteration.

This is purely a coyote rig, and getting in and out of the truck, loading and unloading the damn thing 25 times a day is a pain in the ass with the drop mag. (We can have a loaded mag in the gun here in the vehicle). Much easier to eject the cartridge and just click it back into battery and close the bolt over it than it is to eject, drop mag, load mag, pop mag back in (with frozen fingers).

Not a fan of the M5 for this purpose at all. I like the extra length the drop mag gives me over the factory BDL setup, and thats about it.

I can't help with the questions about Badger products but I'm sure an email or call to them will get you taken care of.

As a side note,I know that many states have a maximum 5 round rule for magazine capacity in hunting long arms. If thats the case in your state do you use a 5 round mag or is one even available?

We have no mag capacity restrictions here.

The M4 uses the OEM BDL parts, so you are limited to roughly 2.800” for a .308. A smith may be able to modify the BDL box and get a bit more space, as the M4 itself is larger than the OEM plate. When I bought mine it came unfinished, but the seller included the OEM Rem parts (box, spring, and follower).

For the price, I think it is disappointing Badger doesn’t coat it with the same Mil Spec magic the M5 gets. Other than that I have been very happy. The guard is big enough to allow easy and safe use with thick gloves on. It is wide enough to protect my Timney.

One last thing- It is very difficult to open the hinged floorplate. The oberndorf style release has a small bump and needs to travel a wide arc. I like this about it because there is absolutely no way it will accidently open. However, I bet it annoys quite a few people too. Just something to keep in mind.

I can post pictures if you wish.

Thanks Lonely_Wolf. That answers my questions.

I was hoping the M4 still allowed for more cartridge length so I could have the "best of both worlds" (IMO of course).

Probably not much demand, but it would be nice if Badger would include or offer an altered mag box for the M4.