• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger M5 Install?

ejd049

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
I finally got my McMillan A5 in Tuesday and attempted to install a Badger M5. Everything went smooth until I noticed the stock is not cut for the Badger pillars and the rear bolt sticks out about 3/8 of a inch!!! I have called and emailed McMillan and Badger but no answers yet. Has this happen to anyone? I was thinking about installing a smaller bolt but I just want it done right!!! Everything lines up right and the bolt is flush with the guard just not at the top. What should I do? I bought the Badger M5 and ordered the A5 about 5 months ago.

Thanks
P1010530.jpg

P1010532.jpg

pic of the factory bolt which sticks out also!!!

Re: Badger M5 Install?

If everything else is GTG, I would just cut/frind that bolt to size and rock it. On my manners they ship with the oversize holes for the pillars, on my McMillan it had normal size action screw holes. I personally prefer the opportunity to try the stock/action/DBM without bedding first, so I like the McMillan version. The holes are easy to enlarge for the pillars down the line.

Dave

DebosDaveI personally prefer the opportunity to try the stock/action/DBM without bedding first said:
I would always use the Badger pillars with the DM setups, they insure the right spacing for the mags to work correctly.

If the stock has not been cut for the larger diameter pillars then you will need to cut the stock. I don't recommend bedding the stock with the M5 without those pillars.

As for the longer rear screw, as far as I can remember they have always needed to be trimmed, nothing new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would always use the Badger pillars with the DM setups, they insure the right spacing for the mags to work correctly.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the stock has not been cut for the larger diameter pillars then you will need to cut the stock. I don't recommend bedding the stock with the M% without those pillars.
</div></div>

I am saying this, I had a McMillan A5, it was inlet for the Badger and a Remington 700 SA. I put my Surgeon into it, and bolted the Badger DBM into it without bedding anything. I shot the rifle, it would easily average .65 MOA over a 5 shot 5-group traget. That was with my inexperienced shooting. Would it tighten up with a pillar bed job? Maybe, but to me that was plenty good, and leaving it without any bedding cost me less money. I am just saying, if possible, why not give it a try before bedding? Mine fed and functioned perfectly with the Badger, as McMillan's spacing was good enough for my rifle, also, I have seen folks have found a different length of pillar works better than what Badger supplies...

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would always use the Badger pillars with the DM setups, they insure the right spacing for the mags to work correctly.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the stock has not been cut for the larger diameter pillars then you will need to cut the stock. I don't recommend bedding the stock with the M% without those pillars.
</div></div>

I am saying this, I had a McMillan A5, it was inlet for the Badger and a Remington 700 SA. I put my Surgeon into it, and bolted the Badger DBM into it without bedding anything. I shot the rifle, it would easily average .65 MOA over a 5 shot 5-group traget. That was with my inexperienced shooting. Would it tighten up with a pillar bed job? Maybe, but to me that was plenty good, and leaving it without any bedding cost me less money. I am just saying, if possible, why not give it a try before bedding? Mine fed and functioned perfectly with the Badger, as McMillan's spacing was good enough for my rifle, also, I have seen folks have found a different length of pillar works better than what Badger supplies...

Dave </div></div>

It's not that the stock needs to uses pillars or bedding, it's that the pillars for the M5 are set to a specific length.

The bottom metal needs to be a specific length away from the action to reliably feed the pillars sets this length.

If you dropped the action into your stock and the M5 bottom metal would feed then you got away with it. Some won't and the stock may need a little mill work to allow the bottom metal to sit correctly or the inlet was cut a little to deep and the bottom metal hits the action when the screws are torqued.

It someone was to just drop it into the stock and they are not sure what or how the parts should sit or function then there can be a problem.

My recommendation is to get it done the way it was supposed to be done and eliminate any frustration later.

On a somewhat related note--I have an HTG which came from McM inletted for William BM and with pillars installed. If I decide to go with the Badger m5 bottom, will the pillars need to be modified?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a somewhat related note--I have an HTG which came from McM inletted for William BM and with pillars installed. If I decide to go with the Badger m5 bottom, will the pillars need to be modified? </div></div>

Maybe, maybe not. Like I said it all depends on the inletting for the M5 and where the barreled action is sitting in the stock now. You won't know until the stock is cut for the bottom metal and you do a trial fit.

It’s sort of like doing a mock up on a custom bike or hot rod. You check it before to see if everything is GTG before you have a gallon of paint mixed up and realize you need to do more welding. Same thing for the rifle, sucks to have a bunch of bedding mixed up only to find the bottom metal and action are not quite right.

Looks broke, send the stock and bottom metal to me and I will dispose of them properly. the last badger setup I purchase had long screws also. nothing new, just trim em down and put something on the bare metal

For what it's worth,if you decide to have someone else install the pillars, be sure to let them know exactly what you want done. I sent my A5 to GAP to have it inletted for a M5 and to install it. I sent the pillars with it. I got it back inletted, but without the pillars installed. I called GAP and they advised that they install the M5 pillars when the gun is bedded. I ended up sending it right back with my barreled action to complete the bedding, but had to pay to ship it again.

Not their fault, but mine for making an assumption and not clarifying what I wanted done.

Just FYI.

I can state that HATECA, Randy from R&D precision installed the badger M5 on my rem 700 and it works flawless so far! exceptional fit and function.

Thanks Randy!

Poke just mailed it to you!!! Are you back in the sand?

I guess I hit the panic button before getting emailed back from Badger and McMillan. I didn't not specify to have the pillars drilled out at McMillan and as for Badger that is the way they come, just cut it. Lesson learned. Thanks for every bodies input will the exception of Poke
wink.gif