• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger M5 Installation Question

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
I am looking at getting a M5 triggerguard soon and I was wondering what kind of mess I will be getting myself into.

I currently have a R700 short action skim bedded into a H-S Precision Tactical stock.

I see that it comes with bedding pillars.

Will I have to re-bed my rifle inorder to install the triggerguard?

What else will I need to expect?

Would the H-S Precision triggerguard be a better solution to the setup I already have?

Re: Badger M5 Installation Question

Most likely yes, you'll have to rebed. The set up requires a specific distance between the bottom metal and the receiver to work properly, this is why the pillars are there. You may have to take a bit out or add a bit to get the proper fit. It shouldn't be to difficult to do. Just take your time and if you have questions, call Badger, they've always helped me with issues.

Mike

I had one installed by R@D precision on my bell &Carlson aluminum bedded free floating stock, with no other modifications.
works great.

you may need to re-bed, but its worth it omho.

Doable, but if I recall correctly the Badger when properly spaced won't line up nicely with the bottom lines of the HS stock..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doable, but if I recall correctly the Badger when properly spaced won't line up nicely with the bottom lines of the HS stock.......... </div></div>

+1

Sell or trade your stock toward a McMillan or Manners inletted for the badger DBM.

Or you could send your stock to CDI and have them inlet and install their DMB for the same price as the Badger DBM alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you could send your stock to CDI and have them inlet and install their DMB for the same price as the Badger DBM alone. </div></div>

What he said (if you really like the HS), otherwise sell it and get a McM/Manners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doable, but if I recall correctly the Badger when properly spaced won't line up nicely with the bottom lines of the HS stock.......... </div></div>
The rear on my HS stock is sunken in about 1/8th of an inch when the front of the trigger guard is flush. I think it still looks good though. FWIW.

Thanks guys for the great responses.

Is there any way someone could post a pic or two of the M5 installed on a HS stock?

I spoke to Marty at Badger. He said for a clean job you really need a mill. You don't grind off alot of stock material but it is detailed work. the pillars do not have to be replaced, but they do need to shortened to the lenght of the pillars included in the Badger DM. BTW...they use AI mags, nice setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stungib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for the great responses.

Is there any way someone could post a pic or two of the M5 installed on a HS stock?</div></div>

I'm in the same boat. Anyone got pics of their HS stock with M5? And who is CDI?

i did an M5 in an H-S. you do not need to re-bed the action, as the bottom metal will not shift it's position if done right.

you can use the aluminum bedding block built into the H-S stock instead of installing the BO pillars. the thing is tho, that they will have to be cut to the depth the Badger pillars are (i think there is a blueprint included with the M5 that gives the dimentions).

the Badger bottom metal will fit pretty good with the stock line if installed to the right depth, and of course the inletting will make or break this job, but bedding the bottom metal after inletting will make things look and work perfectly.

i don't have pics in my computer right now, but i do have them somewhere on CD if i can find them. i'll look.

here is a pic from the link KingKong posted.

SUC50262.jpg

looks pretty much like mine. the front and rear tangs are slightly below the stock, but not enough to matter. mine was a long action tho.

Both CDI and Badger will inlet your stock for their bottom metal. It is worth the money you pay for a perfect fit. Or as mentioned before, trade up to a Mcmillan that is already inleted for the bottom metal you choose to go with. Good luck.

I have done three at home on HS precision stocks. I cut the stock bedding block with a piloted air craft counterbore(from brownells) And dremeled out the stock for the m5 to fit. All three turned out great and feed without issue. It is minor pain in the ass. I have a micro router that I will use on my next attempt (long action HS)to make the inlet a little cleaner.

The thing you have to consider is that Gap charges $65 bucks to inlet your stock and there work is outstanding. Is it worth messin with at that price?

I did mine my M5 into my hs on a 5R. Its not pretty, but it functions flawlessly, and I learned how to do it. Its not hard, you do need the right tools.

Key: if the dbm isnt going in good, try widening it out just a hair, it should slide right in, the tab on the remingtons can be a bit of a pain in the ass to get around. Go slow, take your time, it is not hard.

I bought the Badger bottom metal and the installation drawing says you can send the stock to Badger and they will inlet it for $75. If works out that's a bargain.

I did mine using a high speed router and a dremel. The pillars do have to match the dimentions of the ones supplied with the M5, Traced the template, and went SLOW. Take as little material as possible, and check often. The inletting of the bottom was minimal, but you will need a mill or a stedy hand with a high speed router to mill the aluminum. Check the pics, functions flawlessly. If you need more details, let me know.
DSC01416.jpg

IMG00028-20101021-1244.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01414.jpg

Once you install, bed the reciever. If you do not feel comfortable, a stock that is inletted already is a great way to go, or find a smith.
Good Luck!

Heres the instal I did myself.

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

Few suggestions, Make sure you get the right bits for your dremel! If the bottom metal isnt sliding in smooth, slid it in and out a few times, see where its rubbing on the bottom metal, remove on the stock with that as a guideline. If you search, I started a thread on this about 4months ago. Just do it, good luck.

393195439.jpg

Side%20view%20in%20rifle.JPG

Here is mine in an A5 and a pic of it in a Police Remington. The HS is a bit shallow but not too bad on the eye.

If the stock (McMillan A5) is already inletted for the M5 , does it require a bed job??

send it to mcmillan. Have them do it. You will be much happier and it will be perfect. You will be calling them anyway when you dick up your stock with the dremel tool.