• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger Ordnance DBM Inletting Question

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
I'm setting up the mill for this and was wondering about what to do about the bedding block. The instructions (see image) for the DBM assume you're installing on a composite stock (I assume) and will be using the included pillar bedding dowels. I've got an HS Precision (R700 S/A) that has an aluminum bedding block so the pillars won't be used, but I'll need to mill the aluminum around the screw holes at the DBM side of the stock to accommodate the deeper seating of the DBM. I suspect that I need to shave them down to 1.07" and 0.72" as per the included dowels, but the current bedding block is curved where it accepts the receiver and the hole is countersunk somewhat on the HSP (see picture). So my question is, where should I measure from to set my mill?

306-82-Inst.png

IMAG0251.jpeg

Re: Badger Ordnance DBM Inletting Question

set your receiver into the stock and measure from the bottom of the receiver through the screw holes. find a good place to call z0 and do a little bit of math.

So you're saying I shouldn't assume the receiver mates flush with the bedding block. Good call; I hadn't thought about that.

the sides of the receiver will make contact. the bottom of the receiver shouldn't make contact with the hsp bedding block. the length of the pillars is based off of the distance from the bottom of the receiver to the top of the mounting tab on the bottom metal.

OK, Thanks for the info. I have noticed that the receiver doesn't actually contact the channel flush. There's like a double radiused cut in the channel that allows for sharp contact with the receiver at 2 points in the channel. I plan on using a 1 15/32 (1.355 is what I measured the diameter of the R700 receiver at) piece of round stock in the channel to ensure that the stock is set squarely on the milling vise and that the screw holes are perfectly vertical. That will be my reference for the cut. Does that sound right?