• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing badger ordnance fte clamp on brake

herren2006

Skin that Smoke Wagon
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
alabama
i was thinking about purchasing a badger fte brake for my remington sps tactical .308 with 20inch barrel. i was wondering if this might be a possible correct move to correct the muzzle flip that it produces during firing. i think my barrel is .875 at the muzzle. i was wondering if i would be able install this without the help of a gunsmith. if anyone has pics of install please show.

Re: badger ordnance fte clamp on brake

well that muzzle flip is due to poor technique and driving the gun wrong. You shouldnt get any muzzle flip as is. But the brake might help some

You will still need a smith. The clamp keeps it from screwing off, but the barrel still has to be threaded.

deadly i was thinking the same thing after typing up that info. i might need to go back to basic marksmanship and study along with some practice.

outsy i removed that junk lol.. i installed the new bell and carlson tuesday it made a world of a diff. where is a good gunsmith around? you will have to watch my rifle when i shoot sat. at the sniper challenge and tell me what im doing wrong if i dont correct it by then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps remytactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was thinking about purchasing a badger fte brake for my remington sps tactical .308 with 20inch barrel. i was wondering if this might be a possible correct move to correct the muzzle flip that it produces during firing. i think my barrel is .875 at the muzzle. i was wondering if i would be able install this without the help of a gunsmith. if anyone has pics of install please show. </div></div>

Prone or from a bench?

bsp,
it has the barrel flip both ways prone and bench.

pm Hooper, he is in central Alabama and does great work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps remytactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was thinking about purchasing a badger fte brake for my remington sps tactical .308 with 20inch barrel. i was wondering if this might be a possible correct move to correct the muzzle flip that it produces during firing. i think my barrel is .875 at the muzzle. i was wondering if i would be able install this without the help of a gunsmith. if anyone has pics of install please show. </div></div>

There was a guy on here who caught shit by speaking about just clamping the fte to the barrel since it is a close fit. He had a pic showing it on the end of his LTR.

Not a good idea. The FTE requires a shelf to be machined behind the muzzle threads. I think the tolerance is about .003" plus you need to machine the exit hole concentric to the bore.

There are cheaper options like a Vias or Thruster brake

I posted a link to Badger Ordnance's installation print a few lines up. Only .001" tolerance! I wonder what ever happened to the kid that insisted that just clamping it on was OK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps remytactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bsp,
it has the barrel flip both ways prone and bench.</div></div>

Is it rotational torque you are experiencing or actual muzzle flip? Before you spend $150 on a brake and $150 on threading, I would recommend buying a good McMillan A-series stock. JW Precision here on the hide is a stocking dealer and has excellent prices and selection. This will vastly improve the ergonomics of shooting your rifle without clearing out the shooting lanes on either side of you.